Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 06:44 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,275,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
Unfortunately, most greens and other watery vegetables, such as tomatoes, consume more energy to digest than they yield, so you are net depriving yourself of energy in search of a few vitamins etc.

I would offer than you lean as much as possible to growing high-calorie crops, since calories are energy, and energy is the overwhelmingly most important reason we eat. Everything else are in the nature of "trace" nutrients.
If the high calorie foods are high sugar content foods, those foods should be avoided. The average American eating the standard American diet consumes about 140 pounds of sugar per year. It shouldn’t be surprising that there’s an diabetes epidemic in America. Of the adult population in America, 60% to 70% are either pre-diabetic or diabetic. The A1C test is very helpful to determine if you are pre-diabetic, diabetic, or on your way to type 2 diabetes. Type 2 diabetes can be reversed with the proper diet. Your health can also be improved with the Keto diet and intermittent fasting. Eating healthy includes eating vegetables, high healthy fat, and greens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 04:54 PM

353 posts, read 437,251 times
I suppose Costco would be the cheapest, but if you don't have a Costco card, Walmart would be your best bet (unfortunately).

When I lived in Kona I usually would get dry goods at Walmart, meat at the KTA and I grew most of my vegetables. I would buy fruit from the Kona Market next to the library on Hualailai Rd. Lilikois, avocados and papayas are pretty cheap most times of the year. Rambutan, longans, sapota and lychee are very reasonably priced when in season. Pineapple is ridiculously expensive and never any good (even the super sweet white ones b/c they pick too early), so I don't ever buy.
Thankfully, we had a banana tree on our rental property and one season of bananas was enough for a whole year.

Sometimes stores will cobble together meat or fish scraps or bones and mark it as "dog food." I bought these all the time because they are good for making soup or even stir frys and they are priced dirt cheap. Salmon fish heads are also cheap and can be used to make soups.

One last tip: make some friends that hunt, fish or grow food. There are always people willing to give or trade commodities. This is one of the good things about living in Hawaii.

p.s. I am a dietitian, keto diets are not good for you. Diabetics can do well, but should be supervised by their physicians. For god's sake i just wish everyone would stop with these silly diets just eat normally.

Old 03-06-2019, 05:29 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane M View Post

p.s. I am a dietitian, keto diets are not good for you. Diabetics can do well, but should be supervised by their physicians. For god's sake i just wish everyone would stop with these silly diets just eat normally.
Well - my doctor was all for it when I expressed interest - it is an incredibly easy diet where you are never hungry. Cut the breads/pasta/pizza/potato and beer (substituted rum/diet or vodka/club soda - stuck to beef, chicken, eggs, bacon, sausage, ham) and voila, dropped 36lbs from Jan 1 to Feb 28 - now just in maintenance mode.

Old 03-06-2019, 09:48 PM

353 posts, read 437,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Well - my doctor was all for it when I expressed interest - it is an incredibly easy diet where you are never hungry. Cut the breads/pasta/pizza/potato and beer (substituted rum/diet or vodka/club soda - stuck to beef, chicken, eggs, bacon, sausage, ham) and voila, dropped 36lbs from Jan 1 to Feb 28 - now just in maintenance mode.
I wonder why people who lose weight on this diet never say: Well, I was eating fruits, vegetables legumes and fish, and I was gaining weight like crazy. But then I switched to keto and lost so much weight!

Of course you lost weight. Keto purges all the water weight from your body and then scavenges your muscles for glucose.

Physicians are not dietary experts and they will condone ANYTHING to get their patients to lose weight as just merely losing weight puts you at lower risk for diabetes, cvd and hypertension. Just as doctor's will prescribe antibiotics for a cold to get their patients to shut up, they will condone any hair brained diet just to get you to lose weight.

Old 03-06-2019, 11:03 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane M View Post
Physicians are not dietary experts and they will condone ANYTHING to get their patients to lose weight as just merely losing weight puts you at lower risk for diabetes, cvd and hypertension.
Trying to say this nicely, but I suspect 99 out of 100 people will listen to a medical doctor over a dietitian. I don't even know where I'd find a dietitian and when I think of one I think of a Jenny Craig consultant - while that may seem harsh, it is my opinion.

Quite frankly, for me personally, I'm not a fruits and vegetables type and I rarely eat fish (except shellfish) - but a diet that drops serious lbs eating beef, chicken, eggs, bacon, cheese - and can drink alcohol and not be hungry is better than keeping the lbs on. I wasn't diabetic nor pre-diabetic, but just wanted to drop some lbs and get in better shape from a weight perspective, and while you may not agree with the diet - dropping a couple of inches on the waistline was worth it for me (because, at least for me - the waistline is where it came off)

Old 03-07-2019, 09:02 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,825,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Congratulations on the weight loss! That's quite an achievement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: