Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 03:53 PM

9 posts, read 11,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Some people use ohia logs for interior posts, or possibly exterior posts in outbuildings such as carports and sheds. Otherwise, you won't see much of this for two reasons. First, there's not much to work with. Second, most people want their home to last for at least a couple decades.

Cattley guava- Vivee- is not recommended because termites and other wood eating critters like it. The same could be said for any bamboo you may find growing in the area. Basically, you should use treated lumber to avoid having your home become a living compost factory.

Thanks for the info..I definitely would not want to cut any Ohia for that though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadrid View Post
Seems like it is always raining in Mountain View��. I like Naalehu, the weather is good there.
Also I believe that there are companies that will build you a kit home out of bamboo.

I’ll check out Naalehu. I’ve lived in Vancouver and don’t mind the rain so much, especially if I can drive out to a sunny area every now and then. But I don’t think the rain is that heavy in Vancouver so we shall see what happens...thanks for pointing that out!

Old 04-26-2019, 05:05 PM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times
You could use some downed Ohia, or cut some trees blocking your driveway/house area, if any. Many Ohia have succumbed to death from a fast acting fungus in Puna lately and are still standing. Might as well drop them before they drop on you.

From Vancouver you may appreciate the frequent overcast and rain in Puna, as I do. Sometimes it rains too much, but not often IMO. Just as often it's too dry. It's the tropics, so more rainfall is needed to support plant life and soil moisture due to more intense radiation and higher temps. If you're into vegetation, that is. Also soil is shallow so it can dry out more rapidly than Hamakua, for instance. I love the climate but it's definitely not for everyone.

Naalehu has its virtues too.

Old 04-27-2019, 12:29 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
As part of the Sudden Ohia Death prevention, it is recommended that ohia not be transported anywhere, even on the same island. The fungus on a dead tree can still kill other trees if it's moved.

When building a house, all structural lumber must be stamped with a grade from an approved agency. Unless it has had extensive engineering numbers done on it. Ohia is one such lumber - at least for posts - however due to the SOD, it's no longer encouraged to be used.

Some folks use eucalyptus robusta as flooring. That can be locally grown and milled.

Old 04-27-2019, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eirikaleialoha View Post
Is this applicable to all parts of the Big Island or just those areas?

There's different areas which have much higher rates of crime than others. Most of it is 'just' thefts, but best to avoid them if possible.

Old 04-27-2019, 01:00 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Are there no decent realtors on the entire BI that can find a suitable property based on a set criteria?

Old 04-28-2019, 05:22 AM

Not a lot of them want to deal with selling a vacant lot in the Puna subs. Not worth showing anyone property that's gonna run less than $20K. But, the OP can get to the computer here, so they'd be able to do their own search. But the online search doesn't mention things such as lack of soil, theft, etc.

Old 04-28-2019, 12:15 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,908,923 times
My advice is to get a realtor that lives in the area. We used John Erickson at Remax.

Old 04-28-2019, 06:17 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,674,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
My advice is to get a realtor that lives in the area. We used John Erickson at Remax.
I agree. A realtor who is based in Waimea is going to know nothing about conditions in Na`alehu. Availability of county water vs. adequate rainfall for catchment, for example. Available health care facilities without driving to Kona or Hilo. Different climate zones in the different elevations. And so on.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:53 AM

Thanks for the tips about realtors. The lands I found online to look out were never surveyed or staked so I appreciate that there are realtors that would know more about a property.

Does anyone have experience with off grid power sources in Mountain View? Just visited the area today and absolutely love the feel of it..although I definitely see how it could be seedy. Bt I was wondering if it rained a lot if anyone was able to successful use solar or if it was more common to live off of micro hydroelectr/othet alternatve systems
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island