Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 12:44 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,315,279 times

Advertisements

How much would a full synthetic oil change cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2019, 03:49 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Depends on where you get it. Lex Brodie or a dealer or a private mechanic.

Old 06-15-2019, 05:16 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,984,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
There is a company called Ship To Hawaii, where you have Amazon (or whoever) free ship to LA terminal, and you pay a charge for the flight here with them. I think they are still in business.

But yeah, living in the middle of the ocean poses problems, and solving those problems usually costs more money.

If you need specialized medical care, it is going to cost you more being on the neighbor islands, also our excise tax is on services and food, which a sales normally isn't in most places. It all adds up.

...popular saying on the big island...."if you're in pain...get on a plane"...

Old 06-15-2019, 05:17 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolus View Post
How do they get me 100 lbs in parts for less than $240 in shipping?

Check with a freight forwarder and try to send it via ocean freight instead of air. It'll take longer, but if it's a small heavy item, ocean freight is the least expensive way to get things.

Forget UPS or FedEx. Can it be sent in two pieces via US post office? If it can fit in those flat rate boxes, that may be the least expensive option.

Old 06-15-2019, 05:24 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,904,348 times
Curlees in Hawaiian Paradise Park did all 4 my brakes on my farm truck for about $480, and that included extra work to drill out, tap, and replace some rusted out bolts. I'm sure Lex Brodies would have easily been twice that.

About a year later I took my truck back there because it wouldn't start and since it only took them a few minutes to fix it, they spent the remainder of the minimum 1 hour labor charge banging out dents.

Old 06-15-2019, 09:13 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,558,762 times
um hawaii will be more expensive than the average place in the lower 48 for just about everything you could imagine purchasing. except maybe USPS services, which some is flat rate. Maybe some airheaded mainlanders would be surprised, but exactly 0 adults from hawaii would be. lol

here's a couple mainlanders might not realize:

free shipping (hawaii residents pay R@PE UPS/FEDEX, maybe $20-30 for a small item)
company ship to your doorstep (hawaii excluded)
$5 combo with drink bla bla bla commercial on tv ($10 in hawaii)

Old 06-15-2019, 09:14 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,558,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
DIY cheapest, calculate the amount for quarts and oil filter. your question has too many variables.

Old 06-16-2019, 12:25 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,904,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
https://lexbrodiesfastlube.com/full-...change-hilo-hi

$90.00 plus tax at that place.

Of course, I do my own for a fraction of the cost because I get the oil and filter from Walmart. Sometimes I get the oil at Costco when they have their $10 rebate on 6 quarts. But living in Hawaii means using some "hacks" to make the cost of living comparable to the mainland. For example, if I am going out of town I can take my car to the dealer for an oil change and their free courtesy shuttle will take me to the airport and secure my car for me until I get back for free. When I get back in town I can call them and they will send the shuttle to pick me up. So since I'm not paying to park at the airport, either the oil change or the parking is free (depending on how you look at it).

Shipping to Hawaii is expensive but a lot of people don't know that shipping from Hawaii back to the mainland isn't as expensive. I get a discount through USAA but with a negotiated rate shipping packages FedEx is cheaper than using the postal service (excluding first class and flat rate rates). Their planes come here fully loaded but leaving here, not so much, so they offer better rates on outgoing packages. Plus it gets there usually in 2 days and the boxes aren't all banged up like when the USPS handles them.

Old 06-16-2019, 02:14 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Brilliant idea on the oil change/car parking! We usually get our neighbors to drop us off at the airport and pick us up. Since we do the same for them, it all works out.

I'll check out the shipping boxes via FedEx, it never occurred to me that their rates would be less expensive on the way back. Can this be done with their website or do you have to call their office?

The ocean freight route goes from Hawaii on to other Pacific islands, so not a lot of discounted freight options there, I'd expect?

Old 06-16-2019, 02:20 PM

10,558 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
For example, if I am going out of town I can take my car to the dealer for an oil change and their free courtesy shuttle will take me to the airport and secure my car for me until I get back for free. When I get back in town I can call them and they will send the shuttle to pick me up.
Good to know. Would that be Toyota or Honda? Does it matter if you bought from them or not? Any limits on how many days they will hold your car?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island