Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 01:30 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,558,762 times

Advertisements

As far as teaching goes, every state has it's up and downs. some states are better than hawaii, others are a lot worse. in hawaii, you'll make a lot more as a higher level administrator than teacher, who generally makes crappy wages for most of their career,but has a decent pension and job security.

You do realize a $300k mortgage doesnt buy much in hawaii, whereas it can buy you a pretty nice house in florida, depending on the exact location? Housing is a huge component of monthly expenses.
-------------------
Food and electricity prices are horrendous. It's why people shop at costco and use fans instead of a/c in the summer.

people in other states run heat or ac year round and probably dont pay as much as we do. A $100 bill in florida would translate to $326.

For example

Hawaii Electric Light Company
Rate Schedule 2018 Average Cents/kWh
"R" Residential 37.08

Florida 11.37¢ / kWh

Last edited by rya96797; 06-19-2019 at 01:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 03:48 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
We have an excise tax, not a sales tax.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-19-2019, 05:00 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,984,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
We have an excise tax, not a sales tax.

..yes, at 4.25% i chuckle when it's framed as 'the lowest sales tax' in the country...

...simply put, it's a 'use tax'..

...the farmer sells his carots to the caner = 4.25% tax paid...

...the caner, in turn, sells to the distributor = 4.25% tax paid...

....the distributor sells to the grocery store = 4.25% tax paid...

...you buy the can of carrots at the grocery store = 4.25% tax paid

...pretty cool scheme...

i still would never want to live any where else...we deal with it...

Old 06-19-2019, 07:38 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,315,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
As far as teaching goes, every state has it's up and downs. some states are better than hawaii, others are a lot worse. in hawaii, you'll make a lot more as a higher level administrator than teacher, who generally makes crappy wages for most of their career,but has a decent pension and job security.

You do realize a $300k mortgage doesnt buy much in hawaii, whereas it can buy you a pretty nice house in florida, depending on the exact location? Housing is a huge component of monthly expenses.
-------------------
Food and electricity prices are horrendous. It's why people shop at costco and use fans instead of a/c in the summer.

people in other states run heat or ac year round and probably dont pay as much as we do. A $100 bill in florida would translate to $326.

For example

Hawaii Electric Light Company
Rate Schedule 2018 Average Cents/kWh
"R" Residential 37.08

Florida 11.37¢ / kWh
$300K house was just a number thrown out there. We were mostly looking in the Puna area because we want some land. I have seen a lot of nice set ups under $300K there. That’s also most likely where my wife will land a teaching job for that area is the greatest in need. We have no interest being on the Kona side. If my wife were to land something up toward Honakaa or Hawi, we will increase our budget.

We are cool with using fans to cut back on electric costs and will make trips out to Costco.

My wife will have a masters in administration, but she has no interest pursuing that as a career. She likes having the summers off and principals don’t get that.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:24 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
..yes, at 4.25% i chuckle when it's framed as 'the lowest sales tax' in the country...

...simply put, it's a 'use tax'..

...the farmer sells his carrots to the canner = 4.25% tax paid...

...the canner, in turn, sells to the distributor = 4.25% tax paid...

....the distributor sells to the grocery store = 4.25% tax paid...

...you buy the can of carrots at the grocery store = 4.25% tax paid

...pretty cool scheme...

i still would never want to live any where else...we deal with it...

It's a 1.5% 'resale tax', I think it's called for the intermediary taxes between production and final retail sale so the numbers are a little lower than the final 4.25% excise tax.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:26 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
It's a 1.5% 'resale tax', I think it's called for the intermediary taxes between production and final retail sale so the numbers are a little lower than the final 4.25% excise tax.
I don't think so, do you have a link? I could be wrong.

I know the tax on material to go into a project had a lower tax rate (think it used to be a half percent), but that does not apply to consumables.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-20-2019, 01:50 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
https://blog.taxjar.com/use-hawaii-resale-certificate/

Old 06-23-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:

I know the tax on material to go into a project had a lower tax rate (think it used to be a half percent), but that does not apply to consumables.

I've always heard it called a 'resale' tax and if it's for something that is going to be resold, then if we show our tax number, we get the lower tax on it. They don't seem to care if it's beans to make chili or lumber to make a beehive. Some retailers want you to set up an account with them in order to get the resale tax, we don't use it much.

Old 06-23-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
$300K house was just a number thrown out there. We were mostly looking in the Puna area because we want some land. I have seen a lot of nice set ups under $300K there. That’s also most likely where my wife will land a teaching job for that area is the greatest in need. We have no interest being on the Kona side. If my wife were to land something up toward Honakaa or Hawi, we will increase our budget.

We are cool with using fans to cut back on electric costs and will make trips out to Costco.

My wife will have a masters in administration, but she has no interest pursuing that as a career. She likes having the summers off and principals don’t get that.
That was our plan, too! I even had a house in Puna at the time, but my spouse's job ended up in Honokaa so we sold the house in Puna and relocated to Honokaa. Way better lifestyle up this way, but it wasn't in the original plan at all.

Can you find out where her job will be before buying a house?

Old 06-23-2019, 03:54 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,315,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
That was our plan, too! I even had a house in Puna at the time, but my spouse's job ended up in Honokaa so we sold the house in Puna and relocated to Honokaa. Way better lifestyle up this way, but it wasn't in the original plan at all.

Can you find out where her job will be before buying a house?
Yeah, we will find out where she lands before we move. Hopefully it will be sooner than later, but figure around the end of May she should know. We wouldn’t be moving until the middle to end of June 2020. So, wherever she gets hired we will VRBO until we find a house to buy in that area. VRBO might not be the most cost effective solution, but it seems finding rentals will be hard and we don’t want to get tied into a lease for a year. If we can find a short term lease that would be good. I’ve heard people do VRBO’s until they bought or found something a little more permanent. It just seems like an easy solution until we have our boots on the ground.

Honakaa is beautiful and not too far from the beaches and other amenities, but to find a decent sized property up there our budget would have to go beyond anything I’m comfortable with. Even for a small lot, you aren’t getting much. Regardless we would have to increase our budget being located in that area. I think she would take a position there and or Hawi if she was offered one. But there isn’t much housing in the price range I’m very comfortable with. Puna financially makes the most sense, but everything hinges on where she gets an offer. Puna happens to be hurting the most in needs of teachers in her content area.

That must of been tough buying in one place and being relocated to another area. Must of been a bit of a financial hit with the closing costs and so on. How did that happen your spouse ended up somewhere else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island