Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 02:01 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Putting in your own solar is usually the best way to go as panels will degrade over time.

If you buy an existing house with solar, inspect the electric bill
Not sure how much degrading panels do. If they're kept clean, they pretty much keep going, don't they? There's no moving parts.

I just ran across a solar panel I had when I lived on a boat back around '83 or so (we're clearing out a property to sell it). I can hook that up and see what wattage it puts out. Been building a new shed, might be nice to have a solar light on it. But, that won't be a project very soon, we've just started moving things around and closing isn't until mid-month so things will be busy for a bit. There's way too much stuff around here! Sigh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 12:16 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,558,762 times
im no expert in the matter, but if you're installing them, you really need to look at the cost and payback timeline, warranty, etc. not sure if any credits are still available. cost of battery storage versus net metering (if still available). Also where you're living matters a lot. if it's already cooler through most of the year plus cloudy and rainy half the time, it might not make sense.

Old 07-01-2019, 03:21 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Not sure how much degrading panels do. If they're kept clean, they pretty much keep going, don't they? There's no moving parts.
They typically degrade about 1% per year

Old 07-01-2019, 06:51 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,554,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
Here in Virginia today the dew point is 63 F humidity 77% temp
70 degree real feel 72 degrees. No wind. I have the central A/C going. I’m assuming the conditions aren’t too far in Puna than that. How in the world do you get use to no A/C?

We don’t need the A/C when doing daily things, but to sleep we do like it cool.
Life without AC is like life without bathing or tooth brushing etc., It is just plain gross!!!!! High humidity is disgusting!!!! Maybe for people who don't sweat, or don't sweat easily etc., it is different, but for me..., I just hate the feel of humidity on my skin.

OTOH, coolish, dryish air just dances lightly across your skin caressing it gently while removing the heat and moisture your body generates. It feels lovely.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:07 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,904,348 times
The 1% per year is a pretty reliable figure. Panels typically degrade 1-3% in the first several hours they are exposed to sunlight and then about 0.7% each year thereafter.... at least as far as we know. Most panels are warranted to be putting out 80% of their power after 20 or 25 years but everybody knows that 20 years from now none of these foreign manufacturers are going to be around to honor any warranties. I had read that some of the manufacturers that plan to be around in 20 years know that their panels will not be putting out their rated efficiency in 20 years so they underrate their panels (for example calling a 110 watt panel a 100 watt panel).

How do solar panel warranties even work? Is it like a tire tread wear warranty, where if the tire doesn't last as long as it's supposed to you might only get a 10% "refund" or whatever sliding scale based on how close it came to the finish line?

Old 07-02-2019, 12:33 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post

How do solar panel warranties even work? Is it like a tire tread wear warranty, where if the tire doesn't last as long as it's supposed to you might only get a 10% "refund" or whatever sliding scale based on how close it came to the finish line?
A solar panel is cheap, plus or minus $250 or so - so, if they honor the performance warranty, they will replace the panel that is not performing. They won't replace all the panels if not needed.

Once panels start putting out less than 80% - they need to be replaced.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:47 PM

I did a little research, solar panels have a "performance warranty" and an equipment warranty. The equipment warranty is usually 10 years (some are as low as 1 year). So if your performance level drops after 20 years (or whatever) they will replace the panel, but if it fails completely after 11 years they won't.

Old 07-03-2019, 06:07 PM

9 posts, read 10,827 times
We recently moved to Waikoloa Village and are considering options to help cool the house. One of the options we're looking at is a whole house fan. Terracore and others with experience -- would you recommend a whole house fan?

I just got a quote for a unit delivered to our house for around $2000 (sized for our approx. 1800 s.f. house). Does that sound reasonable? Cost is for the fan only, no install.

Thank you!

Old 07-03-2019, 07:36 PM

I'm not very familiar with the climate in Waikoloa, just remember that the best a whole house fan can hope for is to simulate being outside in the shade. If that's too hot for you, AC might be a better option. I paid $300 for my stuff but it was a DIY project. Blowing air from your house into your attic (aka, a fan) doesn't seem like rocket surgery to me.

If you go the professional install route don't forget to claim your Hawaii Energy Rebate: https://hawaiienergy.com/for-homes/rebates/hvac

Old 07-03-2019, 07:58 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,558,762 times
whenever contracting, its normally a good idea to get a second or even a 3rd quote, along with doing your due diligence on the contractor.

To be honest, this job can be done yourself if you have reasonable handyman skills. But if not, then yeah go with the contractor. I would make sure to combine the fan with an attic fan. Vent hot air from rooms into attic, vent hot air from attic outside.

Without further details, I'd guess the cost of the unit might be $1000 and the cost of labor is $1000.

----------------------

edit: Basically you could buy something like this, chop a hole in your ceiling and mount the fan. The electrical should be pretty standard, but if you dont know what you're doing, you can pay an electrician to wire it for you.

https://www.amazon.com/QuietCool-QC-...85795900&psc=1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island