Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 01:14 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,022,266 times

Advertisements

I like gardening, can you tell? A lot of folks do around here so we're always swapping plants back and forth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 06:34 PM

65 posts, read 86,935 times
I'd be happy if some grew and sold thai ingredients (kaffir leaves, lemon grass, galangal, etc)

Remember to research rat lung disease which is carried by snails and slugs that crawl across gardens and end up contaminating humans that way. Nasty disease with no good treatment.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:09 AM

Kaffir & lemon grass are easy, not so sure about galangal. The lemon grass is at a lot of the health food stores and Filipino stores. Kaffir lime leaves are usually from someone's tree. Galangal shows up occasionally at our vegetable market.

But, they are all fairly ornamental, Bolus, grow some in your yard?

Old 07-11-2019, 01:16 PM

65 posts, read 86,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Kaffir & lemon grass are easy, not so sure about galangal. The lemon grass is at a lot of the health food stores and Filipino stores. Kaffir lime leaves are usually from someone's tree. Galangal shows up occasionally at our vegetable market.

But, they are all fairly ornamental, Bolus, grow some in your yard?
I have the opposite of a green thumb. I have a papaya tree Im growing. It is 2 years old and only 2 feet tall. I have 2 avocado trees Im growing, both 2 years old and only about 1 foot tall each. I finally found a kaffir plant and it looks great but hasnt grown even one new leaf in a year. I have a passion fruit vine that is 2 years old and it only has 3 leaves on it and only 4 inches tall. It looks healthy.

the lemon grass I planted in the yard died. Grass...died...in Hawaii.... Sure I got 20 foot tall guinea grass but the lemon grass dies.

These guys sell galanga in Puna, but growing season isnt until November.
Hawaii Clean Seed

It's going to take me a decade just to make one bowl of Tom Kha soup!!

Old 07-12-2019, 12:24 AM

Hmm, well, maybe finding it at the market would be a better idea for you, Bolus! Still, if Guinea grass is growing so well, it would seem that lemon grass should do well. They are very similar sorts of grasses.

Seems odd that they aren't growing yet not dead after all that time. They get water? They have soil? Not too hot? Not too cold? Not too much wind? Add some nutrients to the soil?

Seems pretty odd that things go static like that. What could keep plants from growing yet not dying?

Or, find the ingredients for Tom Kha soup at the market.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:29 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,665,045 times
Bolus, where are you located? What elevation? We are at 1,200 feet near South Point, and all of my plants do really well.

Have you talked with your neighbors about what they grow and how? We have a small group that gets together and trade ideas about propagating and growing and harvesting stuff. One in the group has a small farm and she has lots of great information.

We fertilize, mostly with our homemade compost. I think that helps.

Old 07-13-2019, 12:43 PM

4 posts, read 3,798 times
is hydroponic a "safer" way to grow greens than in raised beds, when considering the risk for ratlung disease?
In a separate thread I recall some one expressing view that it was their opinion that to grow greens best thing to do is grow indoors under grow lamps.

Old 07-13-2019, 06:55 PM

10,551 posts, read 7,747,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgirlktown View Post
is hydroponic a "safer" way to grow greens than in raised beds, when considering the risk for ratlung disease?
In a separate thread I recall some one expressing view that it was their opinion that to grow greens best thing to do is grow indoors under grow lamps.
Indoors would certainly be safer because the semi slugs wouldn't be able to find your plants.

Unfortunately, grid electricity is extremely expensive in Hawaii so it wouldn't be cost effective. Might as well buy them from the grocer.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:05 PM

9 posts, read 11,659 times
I have read about and talked with folks about rat lungworm. What are precautions that you folks take as gardeners?

Also, my friend is able to grow galanga in Waikoloa

Old 07-17-2019, 12:49 AM

Most people wash their produce really well as the first precaution for rat lung worm.

Most of my greens are grown in a raised bed garden which has marigolds lining the edges. That seems to repel slugs and snails pretty well. There's also Corry's Slug & Snail Death. Which I like better than Corry's Slug & Snail Killer because with Death they don't go away, they die on the spot. You can tell it's working that way as well as get an idea of how many there may be around.

Copper tape or a copper pipe around the perimeter of the garden also helps repel slugs and snails. As well as diatomaceous earth.

Now if there was just something to keep the dratted chickens out of the garden! Wretched rooster is eating tomatoes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: