Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 03:58 AM

16 posts, read 16,114 times

Advertisements

I lurked on this board forever, gleaning information. I researched everything I could about the Big Island. I even did almost all of the things that you all warned not to. The only thing I did right, was to get a job before I arrived.
Starting at the beginning. My husband needs to live somewhere temperate for his health. We had never been to the Big Island, but chose to move here, sight unseen (gasp). I applied for and got a job. I moved over with just enough for first and deposit on a rental, with $468 to spare. I am renting the most awesome little studio house, with a yard, in HPP for $700 a month! I was not worried, because, remember, I have a job! My first paycheck came in time to pay my bills. My husband stayed behind to sell the house, then pack up and move over. I shipped my car here for 1k, and it is dependable.
After I got here, my house in California went into escrow. What did I do? I bought a gorgeous house in Hawaiian Shores for 223k (yes, someone is going to tell me how awful it is, because it is zone 2. Whatever, shh!). That is 100K LESS than my house in California sold for! Don't get too excited for us, though. We were underwater on that house for the last ten years, and only just walked away from it with a tiny deposit for a house. We move in next month.
I have never had an easier time making friends in my life!! I have been having the best time! Total strangers have taken me sightseeing.
I love the school that I work for!
I love not stepping in human excrement, or constantly being on the lookout for potential muggers. Heard of Stockton? I could not go shopping and wear jewelry, or carry a purse. Well, I could, but that would make me more of a target. Kind of like leaving a bag in view, in your car. I have seen less homeless people in a month, than I did in Lodi, California (65K people), in a day.
My gas is cheaper, taxes are lower. Roads are crappier, though. People are nicer!! Even the DMV and Post Office people are nice. I have rarely seen that in California. Probably because everyone there was grouchy to them. I fell apart in the Post Office here. I needed a mailbox, to get bills, but could not get one without a bill to prove I live here. The lady took pity on me, gave me a box, and told me to bring her a bill before the month was over. I wrote her a thank you card, and took her my first bill. In California, they would have been power-tripping mini-bureaucrats, following the rules to the letter of the law (due to lawsuits over everything, including loud eye-rolling).
When where you came from was so gross, it is easy to love it here! The only thing I have struggled with is the humid heat. It gives me headaches (I'll adjust), and yes I am drinking water. I am looking forward to the end of October, as everyone says that it is MUCH better then.
I think the reason some people are so unhappy here is they don't think about WHAT they are really doing, or they don't have skills Hawaii needs. Maybe they have a negative attitude? Maybe they are lacking the 'grit' that is required to move forward in life. I was homeless at 15 years, 10 months. On. My. Own.
I am ready for the grouchy people to tell me how lucky I got here. I really don't think it was luck. I think it is attitude (I embraced it here), and grit.
Now, if the real reason everyone is so salty is to keep people out, PM me, and I will take this glowing post down.
I am the girl in the yellow bug, with the Pahoa sticker. Wave hello (or slug the person next to you).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 04:48 AM

4,611 posts, read 6,388,293 times
Good work !

Old 08-25-2019, 02:06 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,168,246 times
Some will say you got lucky.
Some will say, just wait, your luck will turn.

I wouldn't agree that your path is the right path for everyone looking to move here, but my guess is that your destination could have been anywhere and your attitude and determination would have made it work.

Moving to Hawai'i doesn't change anyone really.
If you are miserable and "unlucky" in California, you would likely just be miserable and unlucky in Hawai'i.
And if you are content and do well in Shaboygan Wisonsin then you'd likely do just fine here.

I think people fail to realize how much of their life is dictated by their attitude and outlook and think a venue change will make things better.

Old 08-25-2019, 03:05 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,940,245 times
It is easier to digest and lend credibility to these threads when there are paragraph breaks and after a person has been here a year or two.

Old 08-25-2019, 06:27 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,062,484 times
(Well, punctuation isn't one of Puna's strong points? We will see how things are in a year or three, although the punctuation part in Puna isn't likely to improve much by then.)

E como mai, Amelie! Good to hear things are going well!

It sounds as if the mainland isn't doing so well these days, it's been a few years since I've gone over there, it's sounding less and less like that much fun over there anymore. Has it changed much in the past few years?

Old 08-26-2019, 08:35 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,778,187 times
Honolulu has a lot of the same problems the mainland has. Maui has a homeless problem too although not as bad as I hear San Francisco has. Healthcare is iffy on the outer islands, especially if you are older and falling apart like we are.

We are in Minnesota at the moment for medical reasons, although we live on Maui. People here in MN are wonderful - very friendly. Lots of bike trails, no obvious homeless problem.

So the mainland is not all bad, and likewise the islands are not all paradise. You make trade-offs. For me, my priority is sun and ocean.

Old 08-26-2019, 02:08 PM

54 posts, read 41,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameliefrnch View Post
I lurked on this board forever, gleaning information. I researched everything I could about the Big Island. I even did almost all of the things that you all warned not to. The only thing I did right, was to get a job before I arrived.

Starting at the beginning. My husband needs to live somewhere temperate for his health. We had never been to the Big Island, but chose to move here, sight unseen (gasp).

When you want something to work out positively, and put in the work it often does. You may not have heeded all the warnings, but you did research beforehand which seems to have helped. Securing a job is #1. Congrats, and I hope things continue to go well for you. Had you ever visited any of the islands before deciding to move to the BI? I always wonder if the BI is chosen only for affordability reasons, or if it is preferred in all ways over the other islands?

BTW, I am familiar with Stockton, and can certainly understand your reasons for wanting to leave it.

Old 08-27-2019, 01:14 PM

112 posts, read 97,234 times
Aloha! Glad you made it Amelie. We moved from DFW last year and are very happy. We bought a house in Ocean View to be able to scuba dive during our retirement.

Texas has gotten full of people and the taxes and insurance reflect the over-population.

Big Island, like all locales, has its idiosyncrasies but we love it here.

Most days, we don't leave our two acre "ranch" except to walk the dogs around the neighborhood.

Oftentimes, what people are looking for is what they are looking with...I find a smile and friendly attitude goes a long way here.

Old 08-28-2019, 07:38 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,559,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemind21 View Post
When you want something to work out positively, and put in the work it often does. You may not have heeded all the warnings, but you did research beforehand which seems to have helped. Securing a job is #1. Congrats, and I hope things continue to go well for you. Had you ever visited any of the islands before deciding to move to the BI? I always wonder if the BI is chosen only for affordability reasons, or if it is preferred in all ways over the other islands?

BTW, I am familiar with Stockton, and can certainly understand your reasons for wanting to leave it.
Stockton was often voted the worste US city. My SIL lives down the road in Valley Springs and go to Stockton every week or so.

Old 09-28-2019, 07:16 PM

6 posts, read 4,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
Some will say you got lucky.
...Moving to Hawai'i doesn't change anyone really.
If you are miserable and "unlucky" in California, you would likely just be miserable and unlucky in Hawai'i ... I think people fail to realize how much of their life is dictated by their attitude and outlook and think a venue change will make things better.
Part of what you say is true ... BUT ... the OP has a point. California is starting to SUCK. I never thought i would say that. I've adored Cali and always came back when I left.

Now?

Weather is still great but wealth gap between rich & poor is like #4 nationally. Cops EVERYWHERE. A traffic ticket costs $600. No seat belt ticket $300. Homeless everywhere in my coastal community. People hate on them and use it as an excuse for increased police.

My partner moved to Hilo. He loves it. Says cops mind their own business and locals are friendly. I'm going to visit him soon and maybe move with him if I like it.
Weather and bugs don't scare me much ... I spent time in Chennai India where ants would swarm so numerous I couldn't put my feet on the floor. It was like the whole floor was moving ... EEEE! We'll see how I do in Hilo.

Anyway, I totally understand why the OP felt her attitude IMPROVE in Hawaii. The laid-back Cali I loved is gone. Too many cops. HUGE permit costs to build anything. Dichotomy of haves and havenots is crushing the artists and people who don't make $$$ their God. It's making me cranky. And owning a tiny ghetto house in a gentrifying 'hood makes me one of the fortunate ones ... hanging on by a fingernail and thanking God I bought a house b/c otherwise I'd be homeless now.

My partner had his business up & running within a couple weeks of moving to Hilo. Some people have "kismet" with a place. IDK if I will like Hawaii or not ... but the place has kismet for my partner and the OP. Other folks ... not so much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island