Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 05:48 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
Culture wont disappear here plenty Hawaiians are now awake to make sure it won’t happen.
I have to disagree with that - in my opinion, the only reason some of the Hawaiian culture even exists is because of the tourism industry - or - it becomes an excuse to not work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 06:35 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,556,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I have to disagree with that - in my opinion, the only reason some of the Hawaiian culture even exists is because of the tourism industry - or - it becomes an excuse to not work.
And it is so dilute so as to be scarcely recognizable.

Old 09-15-2019, 07:06 PM

18,391 posts, read 19,027,378 times
We don’t discuss politics in the Hawaii section this is the opposed thread. You both had your say on the in favor thread. I have no problem addressing any issue but an under impression no political posts Open and viper expresses a distain for Hawaiian culture and people with the very wording of your replies. You wanna talk up TMT go to the other thread this one ain’t the place. This thread is here to remind you supporters the culture and her people will not let you dilute any farther. Some people who live here live a life where they themselves never experience real Hawaiian culture because they don’t work, live or socialize with real locals. People who express such a cavalier attitude towards a others culture especially here are just living a San Diego’s life style only in Hawaii. You are missing the boat.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Some people who live here live a life where they themselves never experience real Hawaiian culture because they don’t work, live or socialize with real locals.
Well, that wouldn't be me - since my wife is "local" if the definition is born and raised. She is Asian, so that might not meet the changing City Data definition of a "local". We have a large social group who are "local" - to be fair, most went to private school on Oahu and have successful careers- so they might not meet the definition of "local" either. Where I golf there are certainly plenty of "locals" I'll have a beer with after a round - they could somehow afford the initiation fee and dues and are mostly Asian, so they might not be "local" after all.

What I've observed of the "locals" on this island of which I apparently am not - there are two distinct groups. One feels entitled simply because they were born in Hawaii - and they have an excuse for anything - you name it and an excuse is coming and generally have never been to the mainland. The others don't have parents that distill this sense of entitlement - they were taught to work hard in school - not procreate like they are having a litter of children they can't afford - strive hard for a college education or do things like become a mechanic at an airline or an electrician, carpenter,or whatever. They have a sense of exploration with travel.

Old 09-15-2019, 09:38 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,953 times
Quote:
I have to respectfully disagree with that. It seems to me that more Hawaiians today know more about their culture then Hawaiians did in the decades past. In the 80's for example, it was hard to find a young Hawaiian who spoke any Hawaiian. Not so today. Even many Hawaiians who have had to or chose to move away from Hawaii, study up on the Hawaiian history and culture.

Old 09-15-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Well, that wouldn't be me - since my wife is "local" if the definition is born and raised. She is Asian, so that might not meet the changing City Data definition of a "local". We have a large social group who are "local" - to be fair, most went to private school on Oahu and have successful careers- so they might not meet the definition of "local" either. Where I golf there are certainly plenty of "locals" I'll have a beer with after a round - they could somehow afford the initiation fee and dues and are mostly Asian, so they might not be "local" after all.

What I've observed of the "locals" on this island of which I apparently am not - there are two distinct groups. One feels entitled simply because they were born in Hawaii - and they have an excuse for anything - you name it and an excuse is coming and generally have never been to the mainland. The others don't have parents that distill this sense of entitlement - they were taught to work hard in school - not procreate like they are having a litter of children they can't afford - strive hard for a college education or do things like become a mechanic at an airline or an electrician, carpenter,or whatever. They have a sense of exploration with travel.
Again not a thread to be disparaging on any segment of society. You mad you have to share an island with people who live a different life than you? Being under educated or without sense of exploration and travel? Omg what a horror Living pay check to pay check, kids in tow, or unemployed doesn’t make their opinion on TMT any less valid than yours.

Old 09-15-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Being under educated or without sense of exploration and travel? Omg what a horror Living pay check to pay check, kids in tow, or unemployed doesn’t make their opinion on TMT any less valid than yours.
Ah - there we have it finally. Under educated - no sense of exploration and travel - living paycheck to paycheck - bunch of kids - and unemployed make up the protesters. Thanks for making my point.

Old 09-15-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Ah - there we have it finally. Under educated - no sense of exploration and travel - living paycheck to paycheck - bunch of kids - and unemployed make up the protesters. Thanks for making my point.
Your words for the most part. Plenty Hawaiian who are living well oppose TMT their view is as valid as yours or mine.

Old 09-15-2019, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Plenty Hawaiian who are living well oppose TMT their view is as valid as yours or mine.
Source?

Old 09-16-2019, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Source?
You support TMT go to that thread, this is the opposition. The thread was not made for back and forth which is why there is two threads. I won’t do your homework for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island