Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 10:58 AM

18,383 posts, read 19,014,497 times

Advertisements

For anyone interested YouTube clip called Fifty years of mismanaging Mauna Kea you will find very enlightening
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 02:26 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,553,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
We don’t discuss politics in the Hawaii section this is the opposed thread. You both had your say on the in favor thread. I have no problem addressing any issue but an under impression no political posts Open and viper expresses a distain for Hawaiian culture and people with the very wording of your replies. You wanna talk up TMT go to the other thread this one ain’t the place. This thread is here to remind you supporters the culture and her people will not let you dilute any farther. Some people who live here live a life where they themselves never experience real Hawaiian culture because they don’t work, live or socialize with real locals. People who express such a cavalier attitude towards a others culture especially here are just living a San Diego’s life style only in Hawaii. You are missing the boat.
I'm not sure what is that is supposed to mean.

Secondly, a thread that has only opinions on one side of an issue isn't going to me much of a thread. I certainly would pose no objection to you going to the in-favor thread and responding to in-favor posts. It's discussion, pro and con.

BTW, I don't think anyone has gotten into a political discussion other than the TMT issue, which isn't really political.

Since you opine that it is the Hawaiian culture, in whatever state of dilution it currently is in, that is behind the opposition, I would offer that any culture that opposes basic science is doomed or beyond, and will go the way of the Dodo, and that process of cultures coming and going is natural, unavoidable and healthy to humankind in the long run.

Old 09-17-2019, 12:48 AM

18,383 posts, read 19,014,497 times
It was my impression no political issue. we can’t talk Hawaii sovereignty. TMT same type of category, most protest are of a political nature. I just landed in Ca for a visit with family. I don’t post all that often anymore, as I’m busy elsewhere. but I saw the post and added my take. Thanks for the invite to counter your posts. I doubt seriously I could alter your view at all with any thing I could add. I’ll try to make a point to come back around when I get home I doubt this issue is going away any time soon.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
It was my impression no political issue. we can’t talk Hawaii sovereignty. TMT same type of category, most protest are of a political nature. I just landed in Ca for a visit with family. I don’t post all that often anymore, as I’m busy elsewhere. but I saw the post and added my take. Thanks for the invite to counter your posts. I doubt seriously I could alter your view at all with any thing I could add. I’ll try to make a point to come back around when I get home I doubt this issue is going away any time soon.
Have a nice visit here in the Golden State.

Often times, in debate, you have no intention or expectation of changing your opponent's opinion, but the airing of your position, and the countering of your opponents position, provides an outlet for both, and very well may inform others, and possibly help them to make up, or even change, their minds. By all means, please do engage at will and have a healthy discussion.

I don't think you need worry about political restraints on the forum, for this issue is really Cultural in nature.

Cya when you get back!!

Old 09-17-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Prayer View Post
Yea TMT protesters.

Go Go Go Go protesters.

We support your first amendment right to protest anything you want on the big island no matter who gets upset.

Its your right because its protected speech so protest away.
I agree, protest all you want. However, "getting in the way" is quite another thing entirely, or is it, in your opinion, all the same? Is blocking progress that YOU don't like, just hunky dory?

This issue is relatively new on this forum, but has been discussed at some length for some time on another, Puna-specific forum. It has dragged-on and on and on for no reason at all, IMHO.

Old 09-18-2019, 05:20 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,943 times
For those in Oregon, Washington and Idaho, if you'd like to learn more about this, you can go to Timberline Lodge this Sunday.

In Opposition of the TMT-70911905_10158147654644063_6013207574520791040_n.jpg

Old 09-19-2019, 05:28 AM

4 posts, read 3,395 times
Ironically, the reason why Mauna Kea is so highly prized by the astro-community is precisely because it is one of the few remaining places on Earth that isnt completely tainted by the effects of so-called "progress"...

Old 09-19-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle_B_Bock View Post
Ironically, the reason why Mauna Kea is so highly prized by the astro-community is precisely because it is one of the few remaining places on Earth that isnt completely tainted by the effects of so-called "progress"...
You mean "light pollution", I take it?

Old 09-20-2019, 08:14 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,898,602 times
Mauna Kea is about a million years old. The first humans settled Hawaii several hundred years ago. By people who studied the stars to navigate here.

Using telescopes to continue exploring the stars in the tradition of the original settlers and maintaining several-hundred year old traditions aren't exclusive activities on this million-year-old rock. We can do both.

The "debate" doesn't seem to have anything to do with the original settlers or the people who want to continue to explore the heavens, it seems to have everything to do with issues that have arisen since the 1800s.

Old 09-21-2019, 04:13 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,022,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle_B_Bock View Post

It isn't so much progress or the lack thereof as it is lack of population density as well as laws enforcing our 'right to night'. Because of the telescopes on the mountain and the value they provide, we have restrictions on how much and what type of street lighting we have around here. Which is actually kinda good for everyone, when the moon is down, everyone can go outside and see the milky way and a million other stars as well. Kinda fun to watch satellites, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island