Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 08:58 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,553,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitnat View Post
I know grantw, but for convenience and time sake, it would be handy to have some items on hand that I don't have to trek around for.
I don't think a trip to Costco would qualify as trek(ing) around. In and out. No problem. Costco is your best friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2020, 09:08 AM

10,547 posts, read 7,743,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
I don't think a trip to Costco would qualify as trek(ing) around. In and out. No problem. Costco is your best friend.
I freakin' hate Costco in Kona, probably because the local one here in Alaska has spoiled me.

It takes about 15 minutes to get in and out here while in Kona in takes that long just to find a parking place. The drive time is just "a tad" longer too.

Kombucha is really expensive in Hawaii. If you're into that stock them up.

Old 07-14-2020, 11:08 AM

52 posts, read 36,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KohalaTransplant View Post
We shipped a container here about a year ago. One thing we did was go with the largest container they had, only a few hundred extra dollars. We then filled it to the brim (packed it ourselves). Furniture, bedding, housewares, tools, you name it. We did not waste any space in the container. That also helps pack things in tightly so they do not kove around as much in transit.

We even bought some new furniture beyond what we already had to ship. We now wish we had also bought things like our outdoor patio furniture. The set we ordered took 5 months to get here.

While you can eventually get most things here, it does take some time, and usually cost more. Locally available (in stock) options for things like furniture and appliances are quite limited, especially now due to Covid. That is just expected, so why not take advantage of this one time opportunity to load up things you will need anyway.
Thanks Kohala Transplant! That's kind of what I was thinking. For me, it is more about how much time it will take to replace things. The movers said if it can be boxed and doesn't require special handling by them, then it's okay. I did opt to include some furniture pieces. I've also been stocking up on my favorite olive oil. lol

Old 07-14-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
I freakin' hate Costco in Kona, probably because the local one here in Alaska has spoiled me.

It takes about 15 minutes to get in and out here while in Kona in takes that long just to find a parking place. The drive time is just "a tad" longer too.

I'll be on the east side, so Costco would be a bit of a trek, but I do expect to make that trek every now and then. I actually don't belong to any Costco right now. Sacrileges to some I know. I think I'll finally have to cave in.

You taught me a new word, Kombucha. Had to look it up. Hmmm. I might look around.

Old 07-14-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
There isn't really any need to "stock up" on anything unless you want to be running garage sales.

If you've got use it or lose room in your container - I'd look for items you cannot readily find in Hawaii, for instance - if you are really into Trader Joes, you won't find one in Hawaii - stock up on that or whatever store you like that doesn't do business in Hawaii. It would be nice to stock up on liquor or wine, but there are limitations on how much you can import into Hawaii.
I've been stocking up on my favorite olive oil.

I know there isn't a Big Lots there. I go there a lot because the prices can't be beat, not even by Walmart. Been grabbing some extras from there.

I have packed up some wine and liquor. Maybe some more....CA prices good. My mom visited with a friend, and the friend bought an extra suitcase and loaded it up with liquor to take back to PA.

Old 07-14-2020, 12:34 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
Kombucha is easy to make once you have the 'mother' or what ever that fungus thing is called.

If you're shipping the container any time soon, having several weeks of food and supplies may be a good thing. Also, set the travel time so you arrive about the same time as the container would be a good thing. The new neighbors are still in quarantine (and they are doing very well at staying in quarantine especially now that they have lots of boxes to unpack) and they now have all the supplies they need for quarantine. For the first few days, they were pretty much in an empty house in an area with no food delivery of any type. We did a grocery run for them and have been picking up fresh foods for them when we go to the grocery. They will be done with quarantine in five more days and having the container show up really improved the quarantine for them.

As for what to pack in your container, when you move there's usually a period of time before you find the best places to get things. So having a month's worth of most things you use and that will give you time to find out the new best sources.

Old 07-14-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Kombucha is easy to make once you have the 'mother' or what ever that fungus thing is called.

If you're shipping the container any time soon, having several weeks of food and supplies may be a good thing. Also, set the travel time so you arrive about the same time as the container would be a good thing. The new neighbors are still in quarantine (and they are doing very well at staying in quarantine especially now that they have lots of boxes to unpack) and they now have all the supplies they need for quarantine. For the first few days, they were pretty much in an empty house in an area with no food delivery of any type. We did a grocery run for them and have been picking up fresh foods for them when we go to the grocery. They will be done with quarantine in five more days and having the container show up really improved the quarantine for them.

As for what to pack in your container, when you move there's usually a period of time before you find the best places to get things. So having a month's worth of most things you use and that will give you time to find out the new best sources.
Your new neighbors are fortunate to have such good neighbors! This is all solid advice, but unfortunately, my container looks to be arriving shortly before my quarantine is done. I will be temporarily renting the lower level of a home where the owner lives on the top level. She has a produce and flower farm, so I may be living off of passion fruit for a while. Will not have my boxes to occupy myself during quarantine (that was a good observation), but will continue to work remotely so that might help. I like the thought of having a month's worth of most things even if arriving a little later than me. Buys some time.

Do you know if your new neighbors could have gotten covid tested to shorten the quarantine period if negative? Haven't heard any mention of that anywhere, so I kind of doubt. I would want to get tested anyway so my host knows the results...suspect she may put me to work.

Old 07-14-2020, 02:47 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,553,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post

But once you get in.....!!!

Old 07-14-2020, 02:51 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitnat View Post
I've been stocking up on my favorite olive oil.

I have packed up some wine and liquor. Maybe some more....CA prices good. My mom visited with a friend, and the friend bought an extra suitcase and loaded it up with liquor to take back to PA.
Keep in mind your container will not be temperature controlled. Wine is especially impacted by heat - I don't know about olive oil - but you should look into which liquors can handle high heat if any

Old 07-14-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Keep in mind your container will not be temperature controlled. Wine is especially impacted by heat - I don't know about olive oil - but you should look into which liquors can handle high heat if any

Good point, which I thought about off and on. The container temp will fluctuate a lot up to 110F, but it will drop a lot too. So I'm rolling the dice. Olive oil has a high smoke point, so I'm thinking it should make it. We'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: