Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 06:27 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times

Advertisements

Future Dweller, I have lived in Discovery Harbour for over ten years. Feel free to contact me privately through the forum and I can answer all your questions.

Personally, I think in these times it's much easier to buy an existing house. All of the good contractors are scheduled out two or three years in advance (seriously!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2021, 01:58 PM

3 posts, read 2,138 times
I very much appreciate your offer and insights, Dreaming of Hawaii. With research and due diligence, I have come to the same conclusion as you mentioned. That being said, I've made an offer on an existing house (crossing my fingers!).

Old 08-16-2021, 06:28 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureDweller View Post
I very much appreciate your offer and insights, Dreaming of Hawaii. With research and due diligence, I have come to the same conclusion as you mentioned. That being said, I've made an offer on an existing house (crossing my fingers!).
Please send me a private message and I may be able to give you some insight. I'm familiar with all the houses in DH that are currently on the market.

Old 08-17-2021, 07:55 PM

3 posts, read 2,138 times
Copy. Thanks Dreaming of Hawaii.

Old 08-22-2021, 03:01 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Perhaps as a mainland prospective buyer you'd be able to tell us of the concern all the mainland buyers seem to have about cesspools? Is it just because they aren't familiar with them? Many of the older houses on this island as well as some of the not so much older houses have them and when mainland folks make offers of them, there's always a huge concern about the cesspool. Why is that?

Old 08-22-2021, 12:01 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Perhaps as a mainland prospective buyer you'd be able to tell us of the concern all the mainland buyers seem to have about cesspools? Is it just because they aren't familiar with them? Many of the older houses on this island as well as some of the not so much older houses have them and when mainland folks make offers of them, there's always a huge concern about the cesspool. Why is that?
I don't have to be a mainland buyer to know various concerns - besides the obvious environmental concerns - I'd be concerned about the costs to convert the cesspool. Each year you wait the costs go up.

Old 08-22-2021, 07:33 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
Septic systems only work where there is soil for a leach field. Much of the BI has no such soil. As I understand it the mandate to switch from cesspool to septic has an exemption for "no soil".

I looked inside our cesspool once with a night vision camera, other than a bunch of cockroaches it looked completely empty. Like brand new. The liquids drain into the porous rock and the solids... I guess they are eaten by cockroaches.

I know a guy who looked into his 80-year old cesspool and reported the same experience.

As far as environmental concerns, I've read that is a serious concern near sea level where the stuff can leach into the ocean or people's wells. But at higher elevations where there is no soil, the "stuff" gets filtered by the rock and becomes inert.

Old 08-22-2021, 11:53 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
But at higher elevations where there is no soil, the "stuff" gets filtered by the rock and becomes inert.
Personal opinion - It doesn't all just disappear/evaporate hence the reluctance of people buying into cesspools. It eventually settles somewhere

Old 08-23-2021, 01:28 AM

451 posts, read 411,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Personal opinion - It doesn't all just disappear/evaporate hence the reluctance of people buying into cesspools. It eventually settles somewhere

Yeah, it eventually does. 415 S Beretania St. in Honolulu.

Old 08-24-2021, 12:05 AM

14 posts, read 19,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Monkey View Post
Yeah, it eventually does. 415 S Beretania St. in Honolulu.
Baaad Monkey! No dessert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island