Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2021, 03:12 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times

Advertisements

Amazon delivers to a post office box. Some other companies won’t. Some will make us put a street address, then don’t recognize it as being a real address. We’ve had our P.O. Box long enough that the postmistress know us, so even mail with the street address gets put into our P.O. Box.

Some packages are sent by UPS to the USPS for delivery. It does get confusing, because you need a street address for UPS and FedEx, but a post office box for USPS.

Usually we can avoid a long line at the post office by going in the middle of the day. Otherwise there are long lines near their opening and closing times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2021, 03:25 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,163,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Amazon delivers to a post office box. Some other companies won’t. Some will make us put a street address, then don’t recognize it as being a real address. We’ve had our P.O. Box long enough that the postmistress know us, so even mail with the street address gets put into our P.O. Box.

Some packages are sent by UPS to the USPS for delivery. It does get confusing, because you need a street address for UPS and FedEx, but a post office box for USPS.

Usually we can avoid a long line at the post office by going in the middle of the day. Otherwise there are long lines near their opening and closing times.
Someone correct me.if I'm wrong, but I believe that in the rare instances where Amazon won't deliver to a po box, you can actually list the physical address of the post office and have it delivered to your attention.

Old 08-01-2021, 04:45 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
Someone correct me.if I'm wrong, but I believe that in the rare instances where Amazon won't deliver to a po box, you can actually list the physical address of the post office and have it delivered to your attention.
Nice idea. I may have to give that a try sometime.

Old 08-02-2021, 08:20 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,900,190 times
The Keaau PO is is the worst. You won't be happy going there to get your mail. It was built when the population was much smaller and never expanded to keep up.

If you pay for a PO Box (this service is not available if you have a free PO box) they will give you a "street address" so that you can get FedEx, UPS, etc deliveries to your PO Box. Amazon doesn't use FedEx. If they don't mail something it is usually shipped UPS. UPS has a service where they will forward an unlimited number of packages to another address for $19/year.

So you give amazon your PO Box "street address" (the one in Hilo is 1299 Kekuanaoa St #yourbox number). If they mail the package, just pick it up as usual. If they send it UPS, go to UPS web site and enter the tracking number and have the package forwarded to your physical address. That way your package gets delivered to your house instead of you waiting in line at PO to get it. About 3/4 of my Amazon shipments are sent via UPS this way. If you give Amazon your PO box address they will try to mail it- meaning you have to wait in line to get your package. If you give Amazon your PO "street address" they usually ship it UPS.

Since I discovered and implemented this earlier this year it has saved me uncountable hours waiting for packages at the PO. I only go there about once a week. UPS comes to our house 3-4 days a week.

If you buy things regularly, setup an Amazon "subscribe and save". Not only will you get 15% off the price but S&S items usually ship exclusively UPS, saving a trip to the post office.

Edited to add, the Hilo airport PO doesn't have a package pickup window. (There is a sign at the old window confirming this, even though they sometimes use it during Christmas). One has to wait in line behind all the people who aren't aware they could have printed their postage for whatever they are mailing online and saved themselves a huge hassle. They did add a lot of parcel lockers during the first part of COVID.

Last edited by terracore; 08-02-2021 at 08:29 PM..

Old 08-02-2021, 08:34 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,900,190 times
Regarding the Milestone, if the albizia are small you can cut them down. The leaves make excellent livestock feed if any of your neighbors have goats or sheep etc. You will have to return to cut them down a few times before they finally die. If they are too big to cut you can ask your neighbors if they have any Milestone. We bought a bottle of Milestone a few years ago and it was literally a lifetime supply, although we did gift most of it away to anybody who needed any and now we're down to the point where the sharing is over. If the neighbors don't have any maybe one will be willing to split the purchase with you. It's also a good strategy for buying fire ant bait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: