Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 01:43 PM

13 posts, read 15,058 times

Advertisements

Aloha,

After my trials and tribulations, we were able to find close in on our forever home in Keaau. I have a few simple questions

1) I'm not thrilled our inspection missed a rip on top of the catchment. The rip is about 1 ft in length. I suspect the mosquitoes been having pool parties without my permission. Anyone familiar on what i should do/recourse on the inspection and the rip?

2) mail. Our RE agent said we cannot transfer the old mailbox to ours so I'll need to run to the Post Office to find out what the scoop is.

3) Sadly we have a few albiza so i'll be on the hunt for a smaller quantity, if anyone knows where I can get my paws on.

4) i submitted my electric/cable bill so I'm awaiting to get verification on nextdoor but it can takes up to 48 hours so if anyone wants to send me an invite code, i'd appreciate it.

Other than that, we're happy to be home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 01:55 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seantrini View Post

1) I'm not thrilled our inspection missed a rip on top of the catchment. The rip is about 1 ft in length. I suspect the mosquitoes been having pool parties without my permission. Anyone familiar on what i should do/recourse on the inspection and the rip?
First thing to do is read the inspection contract - there should be a clause regarding a missed item. Hopefully you got one that has insurance versus one that is just liable for the fee.

Old 07-26-2021, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
First thing to do is read the inspection contract - there should be a clause regarding a missed item. Hopefully you got one that has insurance versus one that is just liable for the fee.
An interesting insight. I did not even think of this. Lemme check if there was even a contract.

Old 07-26-2021, 05:09 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times
Quote:
An interesting insight. I did not even think of this. Lemme check if there was even a contract.
Contract or inspection report - you have something somewhere you have signed

Regardless - advice for those in this situations, not all inspections are created equally - read the inspection liability before agreeing to an inspection. The bad contracts are just liable for the fee - the better ones provide some protection albeit usually with a deductible

Old 07-27-2021, 09:09 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,677,841 times
seantrini, welcome to rural Hawaii.

We do not have home delivery of our mail; everyone has a post office box. Yes, you do need to go to the post office to get your own box. Take something with you that shows your physical address. And there was a period where there were no new p.o. boxes available in Na`alehu, so then mail just went to general delivery. Just wait until you try to order something on line and get the message that says "we don't deliver to p.o. boxes".

I don't understand your comment about the albizia. What "smaller quantity" are you looking to get your paws on?

Old 07-28-2021, 02:59 PM

29 posts, read 30,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
I don't understand your comment about the albizia. What "smaller quantity" are you looking to get your paws on?

I guess it is related to the specific herbicide mentioned earlier in other albizia-related threads. Unfortunately I don't remember the name of that herbicide.

Old 07-28-2021, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7bi View Post
I guess it is related to the specific herbicide mentioned earlier in other albizia-related threads. Unfortunately I don't remember the name of that herbicide.
It's called Milestone.

more info @ https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/free...20tri-fold.pdf

Old 07-28-2021, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
seantrini, welcome to rural Hawaii.

We do not have home delivery of our mail; everyone has a post office box. Yes, you do need to go to the post office to get your own box. Take something with you that shows your physical address. And there was a period where there were no new p.o. boxes available in Na`alehu, so then mail just went to general delivery. Just wait until you try to order something on line and get the message that says "we don't deliver to p.o. boxes".

I tried to stop by the post office in keaau, but there was a long line outside and I gave up and drove home. I do shop online enough to know about the "we don't deliver to a po box" problem. What's the way around it? i saw people walking out of the post office with amazon boxes.

Old 07-29-2021, 01:48 PM

10,570 posts, read 7,776,236 times
Quote:
I tried to stop by the post office in keaau, but there was a long line outside and I gave up and drove home. I do shop online enough to know about the "we don't deliver to a po box" problem. What's the way around it? i saw people walking out of the post office with amazon boxes.
Amazon will deliver to general delivery, which will be your status for a long time if applying for a PO box.

Or, you could sign up with the private mail business that's in Keaau area. I think it's about $400 a year.

Old 07-29-2021, 03:11 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,560,917 times
Or , you can get a PO BOX in Hilo right next to the airport---it's got a good package pick-up window and easy access. Also, there's alot of security since it's on the airport grounds so no questionable characters are allowed to hang out there or loiter .
I believe you can go online to USPS to apply for a box...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: