Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 06:46 PM

4 posts, read 24,319 times

Advertisements

I posted this message as a response on another thread and decided to instead start my own thread, hoping for some advise from anyone with some hands on experience.

My husband and I are moving to the Big Island (Hilo side) next month. We have already purchased 18 acres off the grid a few miles outside of Hilo. I have been reading thru these forums and have noticed that noone has discussed that on the Hilo side of the BI is one of the only places on earth were one can live completely self sustainable, we plan on growing our own food, having solar and windmill power and a water catchment system. We will be completely self sustainable, we absolutely love the Hilo side of the big island, there are many rural areas were one can farm there own land. There is much rain which allows for growing your own food year round and enough sun and wind to produce enough power to live off of (if you can be conservative with the amount of power you use, no more blow drying my hair!). I realize that we are very fortunite to have been able to purchase the land we did, however with that being said living the lifestyle we plan on living will be very inexpensive, we will have no power bill or water bill and we will produce much of our own food if not all of it (we eat very little meat). We have traveled to all the Hawaiin Islands many times and did much research and found that with the lifestyle we want to live the Hilo side of the BI was the only choice for us. Does anyone out there have any advise to offer on setting up solar, windmill and or water catchment systems on the Big Island?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 10:49 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,302,377 times
Hi Salty,

Welcome to East Hawaii!

One valuable resource regarding catchment systems: http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/RM-12.pdf

I look forward to hearing your progress as you settle in here on the Big Island.

With aloha,

Cynthia

Old 08-26-2008, 11:53 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
Aloha,

Are you going to farm the 18 acres? What will you grow? The link Cynthia gave you above is really good. The College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources (aka CTAHR) has a lot of good information on farming and such. They have a good link to get locally produced seeds, too.

For fruit trees, Plant It Hawaii is the place where your fruit trees will come from most likely. Plant It Hawaii, Inc. if they are locally produced trees, that is. For information on "low chill" varieties of fruit trees: Welcome to Dave Wilson Nursery

There are some workshops on sustainable agriculture going on for the next several months. Hawaii has some interesting challenges when it comes to producing food and fruit. Fruit flies, various fungus, virus, etc. Since we don't get the winter chill that the mainland does there are a lot of insects and pests which don't get killed off each year. Then after you produce it, you get to figure out how to process and sell the stuff. We don't have a lot of agricultural processing facilities yet. My friends with ten acres of coffee trees can't even find coffee pickers. So figure out what sort of crop to grow that doesn't require a lot of additional labor. There is a lot of interest in diversified ag lately, though, so hopefully there will be something you can grow profitably. Gotta make enough money to pay the land taxes and buy the stuff you can't produce, don'tcha know?

Most of the sustainability folks don't see the islands as very sustainable since we are on the wrong end of a 2,500 mile supply chain and somewhere above 80% of everything we eat and use is shipped in. We also get most of our power from oil. This state is either the most dependent on oil or one of the top three. Also, even if you are sustainable, in case of some sort of disruption in the supply chain, there will be a lot of hungry folks around and there probably won't be enough food to feed them all. Even if the Island of Hawaii could feed itself, the barges will still make it over to Oahu and they don't have a prayer of feeding themselves. Emergency rations from here will be confiscated and relocated to there so this island needs to be prepared to feed itself as well as Oahu.

We just picked up an additional 600 watts of solar panels last week so now we will be able to plug in the new freezer. Yay! Living off the grid you get real sensitive about what gets plugged in. Sometimes you can find used solar stuff at Sauces & Propane (aka "Soschi World) in Honokaa. They are just down from the post office and have a lot of "character" as well as characters but they are good folks none-the-less.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:05 PM

4 posts, read 24,319 times
Hi Hotz,

We are not planning on farming the land in order to sell anything commercially, however we are planning on having a large vegtable garden, fruit trees (we already have bananna trees and a small macadamian nut orchard), avacado trees, etc for our own consumption. I am sure we will have plenty of extra food which we will give to our neighbors and sell if it ends up working out that way. I really appreciate the links that you and cynmkolohe provided. My husband and I both have internet businesses so we are fortunite enough to have work that we can bring to the island with us. I am sure there will be a big learning curve for us adapting to the climate and bugs on the island. I have heard of the centapedes, flying cockroaches and very large spiders that we have to look forward to, yikes!!! I have already picked up some really good advise on this forum in regards to not having a bed skirt and other stuff like that. I am sure we will learn as we go, I will keep everyone posted. We can not wait to make ourselves a part of the big island community...

Old 08-28-2008, 12:01 AM

No worries, chickens love centipedes. Guess they'd eat the spiders too, if they find them.

If you like lima beans, they grow really well. Especially the vining ones. Lillikoi is also easy to grow and guava trees for jam. There are a lot of things which grow well here and a lot of stuff that you'd think would grow well is very obstinate. Elevation has a lot to do with what will grow, it is almost as important as rainfall in deciding what will grow.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:56 AM

29 posts, read 131,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltylady View Post
Hi Hotz,

We are not planning on farming the land in order to sell anything commercially, however we are planning on having a large vegtable garden, fruit trees (we already have bananna trees and a small macadamian nut orchard), avacado trees, etc for our own consumption. I am sure we will have plenty of extra food which we will give to our neighbors and sell if it ends up working out that way. I really appreciate the links that you and cynmkolohe provided. My husband and I both have internet businesses so we are fortunite enough to have work that we can bring to the island with us. I am sure there will be a big learning curve for us adapting to the climate and bugs on the island. I have heard of the centapedes, flying cockroaches and very large spiders that we have to look forward to, yikes!!! I have already picked up some really good advise on this forum in regards to not having a bed skirt and other stuff like that. I am sure we will learn as we go, I will keep everyone posted. We can not wait to make ourselves a part of the big island community...
I believe it is easy to grow orchids in Hilo ; might not be easy to sell , even on the internet .

Old 09-06-2012, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 6,302 times
Default Growing cucumbers in Hilo

Good morning, I am just starting up my greenhouse a couple of months ago, I am struggling with cucumbers and soy beans, not doing too well, anyone with any hints for me would be appreciated! Thank you

Old 09-06-2012, 03:47 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy kakazu View Post
Good morning, I am just starting up my greenhouse a couple of months ago, I am struggling with cucumbers and soy beans, not doing too well, anyone with any hints for me would be appreciated! Thank you
I suggest you get in touch with the CTAHR County Extension Office in Hilo. They have tons of free information, both printed and online, about growing all kinds of things. They also have a Master Gardener who does free consultations about specific gardening problems. They are a fantastic resource.

Extension - Hawaii County

Old 09-09-2012, 12:22 AM

For your cucumbers, add lime to the soil. Chunks of concrete or gypsom board might help, too. If I remember correctly, cucumbers don't like acidic soil and that's mostly what we have around here.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:21 PM

181 posts, read 585,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltylady View Post
I posted this message as a response on another thread and decided to instead start my own thread, hoping for some advise from anyone with some hands on experience.

My husband and I are moving to the Big Island (Hilo side) next month. We have already purchased 18 acres off the grid a few miles outside of Hilo. I have been reading thru these forums and have noticed that noone has discussed that on the Hilo side of the BI is one of the only places on earth were one can live completely self sustainable, we plan on growing our own food, having solar and windmill power and a water catchment system. We will be completely self sustainable, we absolutely love the Hilo side of the big island, there are many rural areas were one can farm there own land. There is much rain which allows for growing your own food year round and enough sun and wind to produce enough power to live off of (if you can be conservative with the amount of power you use, no more blow drying my hair!). I realize that we are very fortunite to have been able to purchase the land we did, however with that being said living the lifestyle we plan on living will be very inexpensive, we will have no power bill or water bill and we will produce much of our own food if not all of it (we eat very little meat). We have traveled to all the Hawaiin Islands many times and did much research and found that with the lifestyle we want to live the Hilo side of the BI was the only choice for us. Does anyone out there have any advise to offer on setting up solar, windmill and or water catchment systems on the Big Island?
From how you described your location, you are probably not going to have enough wind to get any power from it.

Do you have a year round stream running through your property or along the edge of it? Many people have mini hydroelectric systems that power their homes. They are better than solar because they run 24/7/365.

I'm having one installed on my 8 acres in Pepeekeo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: