Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2008, 04:30 PM

1 posts, read 5,368 times

Advertisements

My husband & I love the Big Island. We planned to move this year, but then there was the housing market crash, and so our plans are on hold. We can't sell even if we wanted to right now. We are hoping for 2010.
We are soon to be adopting our grandaughter who is 9 and since So. CA is not the place we want our child to be raised it's even more of a push.

I want to buy a lot in Miloli'i so that we have the option to either sell or build in the future. I have tried to find out as much as possible about the area. It seems to be just what we want. I don't want to be so far out that commuting is hours. What is the risk of Lava zone 2, and what are the downsides of not having county water, sewer if any.

Insurance there ? Flood insurance mandatory?

Any clues to these questions, would be so appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 12:06 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
Don't buy anything without looking at it. One lot can be really nice and the lot directly next door can have a huge lava hole in the middle of it.

The question to ask in that area is "how's the vog?"

Old 09-23-2008, 12:28 AM

1,375 posts, read 6,302,377 times
There is a lot to learn about this area, or any area in "rural" Hawaii!! I've DM'd you with a few resources...

With aloha,

Cynthia

Last edited by cynmkolohe; 09-23-2008 at 12:42 AM..

Old 09-26-2008, 01:03 AM

246 posts, read 649,883 times
Default [warning: sarcastic post below!]

First I thought you misspelled Moiliili, then after goggling it I was like, where is this place??? Talk about going on google earth and closing your eyes and picking a spot with the most green and least amount of homes.

Just because rural Alabama and South Carolina seems peachy doesn't mean I'd wanna go there.

Read some threads and educate yourself before picking some random desolate spot thinking its "your paradise" like some pioneer staking out a plot of land in the open Americas of long, long, long time ago.

Sorry, sarcastic post here , but I do hope you get the point.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:05 PM

88 posts, read 257,643 times
I drove down to the coast from the highway. If the only way down/up is to drive the narrow winding hillside road, you have to think if you would enjoy it or not. I think it took > 15 mins each way and was a bit scary for me. Didn't find the land/views that appealing when I got down there.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:25 AM

8 posts, read 31,695 times
Second hand information, but in 1999 when I was shopping for property on the Big Island I was warned away from Miloli'i. It use to be on old native fishing village and some of the locals still don't want growth in their area. I don't know if its still the case, but I was told that there was some problem with vandalizm of new homes. However that may have changed over the past 6 or 7 years. Hopefully some else has more up to date, personal experience to share. I would suggest you ask your realator as well.

Aloha

Old 03-13-2009, 08:32 PM

13 posts, read 92,650 times
Default Milolii

Aloha! I have lived in the Kona area of the Big Island since 1979 and am very familiar with Milolii. After living on country roads most of my life A) This road is PAVED and NEVER ICY which are two big advantages in my book!
B) Milolii Subdivision is predominately occupied by 2nd home owners who either live on the island and use it as the island version of the weekend "lake house" or are snow birds!
C) It has incredible snorkeling and diving right off the subdivision (but don't attempt unless you have ocean experience!) There is also a county boat ramp just 5 minutes away from the subdivision
D) Well there isn't much foliage. The BEST advantage to that is that the neighbors can see your house and keep an eye on it. I've owned property there since 1999 (actually it is on the market now...go to realestateroxy.com to see). And you see and hear whales very close due to the fact the water drops off so quickly there. Mahalo!

Old 03-13-2009, 08:41 PM

We are soon to be adopting our grandaughter who is 9 and since So. CA is not the place we want our child to be raised it's even more of a push. Check local schools and options My son went in the 80's and did great for others it's a cultural shock.

I don't want to be so far out that commuting is hours. 1.5 hours or slightly less from Kailua.
What is the risk of Lava zone 2: Lava Zones are 1 to 9 on the Big Island and isn't so a risk guide as a past history guide about how recently lava went through the area.
county water: You need to buy water to drink or install a good quality filter system. Many people in Hawaii do so anyway even when they are on public water. Water is cheap to buy at dispensing machines at 30 cents per gallon. I live in town and do so.
sewer I really don't see a downside except perhaps original expense of installing septic tank. Most of the county doesn't have public sewer.

Insurance there ? Flood insurance mandatory...Yes if you have a loan. Insurance is cheap here compared to Montana. Think hurricane insurance and Tsunami insurance too although we have never had either in Kona since written history has been kept in the area.

Any clues to these questions, would be so appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:45 PM

Default Flood insurance

Actually flood insurance may not be mandatory in every area, it depends on where you are at. Check with your insurance agent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: