Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2008, 01:06 PM

67 posts, read 270,042 times

Advertisements

I have been reading through alot of posts on this website about anything and everything. There was a question asked on another thread about what is more common working 1 or 2 jobs. Then there was working two part time jobs or working one full and one part time job. Depending on different variables like college, experiance, and need for that skill wood ultimately decide on how easy it would be to get a job in hawaii. So what type of skills are hawaii businesses most interested in and would be most marketable. What type of incomes are normal and would make it more injoyable to live in hawaii. If anyone has any information about Hilo on the big island that would be most appreciated in terms of jobs and wages. thanks.....moving to hilo in three months. pretty excited....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 02:53 PM

18 posts, read 67,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilobound View Post
I have been reading through alot of posts on this website about anything and everything. There was a question asked on another thread about what is more common working 1 or 2 jobs. Then there was working two part time jobs or working one full and one part time job. Depending on different variables like college, experiance, and need for that skill wood ultimately decide on how easy it would be to get a job in hawaii. So what type of skills are hawaii businesses most interested in and would be most marketable. What type of incomes are normal and would make it more injoyable to live in hawaii. If anyone has any information about Hilo on the big island that would be most appreciated in terms of jobs and wages. thanks.....moving to hilo in three months. pretty excited....
I am from just outside of Hilo and if I describe the economy/job market in a general sense it may sound discouraging - what is your specific situation (family? professional? , etc.)? Specific answers probably won't sound so discouraging.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:49 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,106,558 times
LOL! Tyson808 is quite correct! It's hard to describe the job market in Hilo without sounding discouraging.

Service jobs, perhaps, although "do you want fries with that" may not be your choice of career.

A nurse who bought a house and moved to the Hilo area several months ago has been unable to find a job and she posted that she even applied at Wal-Mart.

Most folks I know are living close to the bone so they can survive on what employment they can find.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:31 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,275,145 times
Quote:
My gardener has a Ph.D. in physics and I pay him $10 per hour. Before coming to the Big Island, he was a university professor.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:56 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,464,580 times
I know a lot of people that work two full time jobs....

Old 10-04-2008, 02:56 PM

18,432 posts, read 19,086,661 times
I would compare life in the islands like living in a pretty small town. there are a limited number of places too work...in most cases only one hospital, a handful of doctors and dentist, a few grocery stores, a handful of retail shops and the same goes for the services. if none of these places are hiring there is no opportunity. if you blow out of the one and only job that suits you, you may be out of luck as to another job in that field. like in any small place it helps if you know someone and once in the job, many folks stay for decades because that is as good as its gonna get. it is not impossible to get work but our market really sucks for decent pay. the pay is so low for the most part that is why people have more than one job. I would guess a good average pay is an hourly rate of 11 bucks an hour and that might be a tad high.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:53 PM

Doesnt hilo have like 50000 people or more...why isnt there any jobs.....where i live now has only like 50000 and there are a ton of job opportunities.....what is the average income per family......or what do some of you guys make.....do most people commute to kona....and are there any construction jobs......what type of businesses would strive in hilo that are not already there or not enough of......any thoughts or answers would be greatly appreciated.....thanks

Old 10-05-2008, 08:01 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,275,145 times
Quote:
Doesnt hilo have like 50000 people or more...why isnt there any jobs.....where i live now has only like 50000 and there are a ton of job opportunities.....what is the average income per family......or what do some of you guys make.....do most people commute to kona....and are there any construction jobs......what type of businesses would strive in hilo that are not already there or not enough of......any thoughts or answers would be greatly appreciated.....thanks
The answers to some of your questions can be found at the link below....
https://www.city-data.com/city/Hilo-Hawaii.html

Hilo is blessed with abundant rainfall and relatively few beaches, which isn't particularly conducive to a thriving tourist industry and resultant jobs. In addition, the collapse of Aloha Airlines and ATA, along with NCL America removing two of its three cruise ships from the Hilo market, have negatively impacted what little tourism Hilo possesses. Here are links to a couple of articles that discuss this....
Second cruise ship leaving; so will jobs | The Honolulu Advertiser | Hawaii's Newspaper
Small businesses dealt another blow | The Honolulu Advertiser | Hawaii's Newspaper

As to what profession provide the most job opportunities in Hilo, I'd venture that an othropedic surgeon probably wouldn't have much of a problem finding a job....
Hawaii Tribune-Herald :: Hilo, Hawaii > Archives > Local News > Bad break for Big Isle health care (http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/articles/2008/10/04/local_news/local02.txt - broken link)

While some folks in Hilo commute to Kona, spending 4 to 5 hours on the road each day gets old very quickly. As for construction jobs, there are probably a few, but it might take some time to find a decent-paying one. As for starting a business in Hilo, a good bakery like the now-defunct O'Keefe & Sons would be nice....
O'keefe & Sons Bread Bakers - Hilo, HI

If you have to work for a living, Hilo might not be the best place to start out.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:59 AM

Well my wife will already have a job at one of the clinics as a FMP so i am pretty much just looking for something i can do.....i would love to do my own thing because running businesses is what i do best.....but until i get there and see what would be most useful to the community its hard to plan on a certain idea.......but if the area is short on jobs then how do people live and would a business that is right for the area thrife in an enviroment that is not bursting with new money.....thanks for any information....by the way im coming regardless so i hope i can help the community in some way....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island