Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 03:58 PM

170 posts, read 533,526 times

Advertisements

Thread title says it all.

I visited my buddy in Hilo for 3 weeks, those locals are crazy man, all i heard was fing haole's this fing haole's that for weeks.

If your white pick a different Island to spend your money on.

I have been all around the world (military) and Hilo is probably the most racist city i ever visited.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:16 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,718,500 times

I think we will be okay. We are coming from Alaska and we are so white we are practically translucent.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:32 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,036,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post

I think we will be okay. We are coming from Alaska and we are so white we are practically translucent.
That's what haole means...

Old 11-19-2010, 07:28 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,718,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
That's what haole means...

I was trying to be funny (ie the Translucent part)

Old 11-19-2010, 09:35 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,679,652 times
Vanskills, sorry you had some bad times in Hilo. We visit Hilo regularly and have never, ever had any stinkeye or racist comments of any kind. Perhaps you were hanging out in the wrong areas or with the wrong people.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:10 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,517,953 times
I have worked in Hilo and have not experienced this sort of racism, so maybe it was just you?

Old 11-19-2010, 10:58 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,591,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanskills View Post

I visited my buddy in Hilo for 3 weeks, those locals are crazy man, all i heard was fing haole's this fing haole's that for weeks.

I have been all around the world (military) and Hilo is probably the most racist city i ever visited.

Really!????

I get so tired of the drive by trolls with their first post coming in and saying racist ***P !!

Iʻve been in Hilo for almost a year and have never seen anything like this!
If you had an experience like you say I think you need to look in the mirror.
Coming to Hawaii for over 30 years and coming to the BI for over 10 years exclusively I have never run into any situation that comes even remotely close to this.

As I quietly step off my soap box and walk to the wall and bang my head against it repeatedly mumbling to myself they never listen..

KOA

Old 11-19-2010, 11:48 PM

64 posts, read 173,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanskills View Post

Pffft... I am whitey McWhiteSauce and I thrived in Hilo for 2 years.

You clearly have very limited experience abroad if you think that Hilo was the most racist city you have ever been to.

Try walking around in Japan or China and see how at home you feel.

Perhaps a negative attitude or your military status attracted what you experienced?

Check that... I call bull**** on this entirely...

Old 11-20-2010, 12:00 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,905,080 times
Ditto the responses ... either you are trolling or you are a fairly young haole and obviously military by appearance, and obnoxiously behaved to boot -- in which case you broadcast the one most consistently disliked personality in the islands -- which is not to say young, white military are always discriminated against, just that that is the mostly likely group.

And as for your comment that you are, or have been, military, and been around the world in that status and Hilo is the worst discriminatory place you've visited -- that nuts ... that's beyond nuts ... been there, done that ... intense military background speaking here ... have narrowly escaped being killed for being white American military in other countries, several times over.

Frankly, Hilo is one of my very favorite places on the planet --

Old 11-20-2010, 01:18 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,457,249 times
I've always found that you get what you give. I lead with a big smile and I genuinely like people and enjoy our differences. I find that I am welcomed wherever i go, and have never had even a touch of a problem anywhere due to my being whiter than white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island