Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 05:09 PM

312 posts, read 1,373,966 times

Advertisements

I started reading the original post and I was already thinking to myself "I bet he's in the military" and then, hey! what do you know.

I guess all those college kids and astronomers in Hilo are picked on constantly, including myself when I was there; how did we ever manage? I've learned that it's almost always the attitude and spirit you have yourself that determines the lack of or amount of trouble you get in a place where Caucasians are not the majority of the population. I know we've all heard that Do Unto Others thing. With your choice of words I can't imagine you not going in with a big head and an unpenitrable mind set. I'll side with Hawai'i on this one.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:50 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,010,807 times
ya know there are rude people everywhere. good thing they are in the minority even in hilo

Old 11-20-2010, 06:38 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,257,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanskills View Post
Thread title says it all.

I visited my buddy in Hilo for 3 weeks, those locals are crazy man, all i heard was fing haole's this fing haole's that for weeks.

If your white pick a different Island to spend your money on.

I have been all around the world (military) and Hilo is probably the most racist city i ever visited.
Someone forgot to tell that to Brittany Smart (http://www.smartforcouncil.org/brittanybio.html - broken link), Neil Abercrombie, Brian Schatz, and several others who went to Hilo and solicited votes in the last election.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,616 times
I was born and raised in Hilo. I am Hawaiian, mixed -including "white" . Almost everyone in Hawaii has a multitude of races and to say that Hilo is racist is completely ridiculous. I have never experienced any racism neither being given nor received. Everyone jokes around with each other, sometimes regarding race, but on a fun level. If you couldn't handle the fun, well I'm sorry! And if you honestly felt it wasn't in fun, then you must have done something to provoke it - them calling you a "f'n haole" was out of the anger. We use all kinds of slang, such as "haole" , "hawaiian", "***", "popolo", etc... - it's not meant to be derogatory in any way, it's just how we express what we're talking about. I love my home town and thank and appreciate everyone who stood up to back up Hilo.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:21 PM

170 posts, read 533,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactastica View Post
I started reading the original post and I was already thinking to myself "I bet he's in the military" and then, hey! what do you know.

I guess all those college kids and astronomers in Hilo are picked on constantly, including myself when I was there; how did we ever manage? I've learned that it's almost always the attitude and spirit you have yourself that determines the lack of or amount of trouble you get in a place where Caucasians are not the majority of the population. I know we've all heard that Do Unto Others thing. With your choice of words I can't imagine you not going in with a big head and an unpenitrable mind set. I'll side with Hawai'i on this one.
Thats funny because i never encounter any racism towards me in the other 49 STATES...

weird huh?

Old 11-20-2010, 07:23 PM

81 posts, read 208,808 times
I call people f-ing haole all the time and I'm white as chalk, the name goes with the attitude you bring.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:48 PM

406 posts, read 865,497 times
Quote:
Thats funny because i never encounter any racism towards me in the other 49 STATES...

weird huh?
Uuummmmmm, if you haven't read it already, go read my post in https://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...-hawaii-7.html .

Mickey

Old 11-20-2010, 07:50 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,894,370 times
Quote:

weird huh?
Um yeah, in the other 49 states white is the majority ... only in Hawaii is white, Haole, no more than any other racial type. You've been used to being "on top" ...

So now, let's assume you had a bad incident -- whether your energy brought it out - or whether the Hawaiians that confronted you were truly racist ... now you've had your moment of feeling what it's like for all the minorities in the rest of the country on pretty much a daily basis. Grow up. Take it like a man. Some people are shallow and discriminate. Your turn in the barrel. Suck it up. Live with it. Nobody responding here is bleeding for you, obviously. Your one incident doesn't make Hilo "racist". Places aren't "racist" ... individual people are. Maybe you ran into a few. So what. Have some cheese with your whine. You've been to Hilo once. Most of the rest of us have been there a lot, or lived there. We don't share your experience or opinions. And your attitude is not helping you here. Probably didn't on the beach, either.

Have a nice day. Aloha.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:36 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,714,260 times
Quote:

weird huh?
You have been to ALL the states?

Old 11-21-2010, 01:02 AM

40 posts, read 126,485 times
Quote:
Thread title says it all.

I visited my buddy in Hilo for 3 weeks, those locals are crazy man, all i heard was fing haole's this fing haole's that for weeks.

If your white pick a different Island to spend your money on.

I have been all around the world (military) and Hilo is probably the most racist city i ever visited.
Try Honolulu!

It seems while the rest of the usa has been dumping racism... Hawaii still thinks it cool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island