Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 11:11 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanskills View Post
I have no clue why alot of locals in Hawaii are so hostile to tourists.

If it wasnt for tourists they have have zero money.

People from ALL over the world come to Colorado for skiiing, hiking etc...i would NEVER even think about saying "oh eurolie...brah..get out of my state, i own this state"

I live here in Colorado, i DONT own it..lol
You are probably one of those people with a "Native" bumper sticker on your car, too. You know, the ones with a picture of the mountains behind on it?

Old 11-22-2010, 11:31 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northanna_2001 View Post
This could happen. After livig in Alaska and going to the Isles numerous times, I have heard that the locals can be dangerous. First of all, the south area of the Big Island is all Hawaiin/Polynesian populations.... no tourists are invited there. I have heard over time that there were Locals who (recently) killed a girl who had just moved to Maui. She was in the area of east of the airport near where the surfing is done; and met up with some locals (as she was telling someone on her cell phone) and later, they pushed her off the cliff. She was a former school teacher from Albuquerque NM. Additionally, you are always advised when renting cars in Oahu to never go to the Western coast of Oahu (natives live there)... dangerous. Just because it hasn't happened to many of you folks, doesn't mean it can't or won't if a group of "locals" come up to you or you wander into their area.
Spreading the "I have heards" is a great way to spread (mis)information.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:38 AM

312 posts, read 1,374,350 times
Jabronie-I think i Love you.

There are racist people everywhere, no where is safe. Just as there are other unattractive personality traits as well. You just dig your hole deeper and repeating the instructions for us to Google something is just aggrivating, it doesn't prove your point at all-It just makes you appear as if you have no real wood for your fire. I expirienced horrible descrimination in parts of Texas and in Canada, but I by no means think that it represents the entire state or country, you should learn the same.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:41 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,455 times
Quote:
LOL!..

Im not anywhere close to being unhappy!..

WTF does that have to do with anything whatsoever...seriously why even bother to post?

It is NO secret hawaii is full of racist locals..

Type "hawaii is racist" <ENTER> into google.

Im sure ALL those people taking the time to post about Hawaii racism are just "unhappy" people..lol!
You've beaten this one-note drum ad nauseum. Repeating it over and over doesn't make it true. Boo-hoo, somebody talked mean to you. Now, you want to paint all Hawaiian locals with the same brush. Noboby is buying that crap. Islanders have little patience for bloviating, self-absorbed tourists.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:11 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
I have no clue why alot of locals in Hawaii are so hostile to tourists.

If it wasnt for tourists they have have zero money.

People from ALL over the world come to Colorado for skiiing, hiking etc...i would NEVER even think about saying "oh eurolie...brah..get out of my state, i own this state"

I live here in Colorado, i DONT own it..lol
Dood. Type "Colorado is racist" into Google and learn something new about what people think of -your- state.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:13 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
I visited Hilo and I am white, and HILO is FINE. Nothing wrong or racist about it.

The only thing I noticed is that is very local. There aren't any shiney new tourist areas to go to with crowds of tourists everywhere.

I think you can find that in pretty much everywhere in Hawaii except Hilo. So, if seeing locals around, and not having shiny tourist stuff around, means tourists shouldn't go there, then fine. I am just unsure about the 'racist' part because it isn't tourist-oriented.

What I did notice is that a ton of mainlanders are building houses all over the place throughout Puna though - just outside Hilo. I think regardless of where that type of person goes, there will be some resentment. Even in 'white' Oregon, people got really sick and tired of the 'white' Californians driving up housing prices and doing more housing developments overly spreading everything out everywhere. It is interesting that local Hawaiians are not allowed to have these greivances and are called racists, but Oregonians are allowed to have these grievances and Californians will often 'apologize' and try to make disclaimers that they aren't like 'those other Californians'.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:25 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,183,157 times
Quote:
I have little patience of people that cant even speak english right..

Hello pidgen!
"Pidgin is a beautiful, expressive language. It was originally created so that the immigrants, the Japanese, Chinese, Portuguese and Filipinos as well as the Hawaiians and the Americans could do business."

It was born from the hand of the cards they where delt. After thinking a little more about the statement, do you feel the same about people with a strong southern draw, a bayou accent, New York/Bronks dialect, has a Minnesota "Dooo'nt ya know"
holding out the sound of some vowels? Or to earn your respect, must we all speak like suburban upper middle class mid-westerners? Keep up the ignorance, as it turns out you likely do fit the exact stereotype, and continue to put off a very Hoale vibe.

Last edited by Jabronie; 11-22-2010 at 12:47 PM..

Old 11-22-2010, 12:43 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,443,209 times
ok let me put the shoe on the other foot for a second ..

now anywhere else in the states useing of a offensive speech or hate speech useing the term for another race as in a hate or offensive style of speech would get you or your group arrested and charge under the federal hate crime laws that we have books along with haveing the group that you belong to under the law can be labeled as a hate group ..

but as long as the person is in the state of Hawaii then it ok but if the person travels to another part of the United States who is from the Hawaii and does the same type of hate or offensive speech towards a white or black or mexican or another person race is it ok no for the people in that area will not put up with type of speech ..

as a white looking person i can not go do the street calling every black person a n---- and not get into trouble for it by useing the racist term for a black person by the law or by a group of people who i have just offended ..

remember useing the term f---ing hoale's make you just racist as the white guy useing the term n--- or mexican guy using the term gringo or the black guy useing the term white bread ..it still hate type of speech towards another race ..

Moderator cut: Too many posts have been removed from this thread for being nothing but personal bickering. In the future, please try to discuss ideas, not the posters, please. This thread is closed.

Last edited by Marka; 11-23-2010 at 02:33 AM.. Reason: closing thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island