Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2008, 10:32 PM

3 posts, read 17,970 times

Advertisements

We are moving from Portland Oregon area in March 09- I am looking at shipping 20' container to Kawaihae or Hilo via Matson. No the container does not stop and unload on any other island.. It ships locked/sealed to its destination port.

Is anyone needing items shipped or looking to split the cost of a container with us ? We are pretty flexible on what we want to take as its mostly just stuff. To ship or not to ship..sharing a container is way better!

Consolidated cargo was quoting
less than container load
100 cf for est 1800 (18.00 per cf)

I am looking at sharing part of our 20' container space for less.
100 cf for 1000.00 flat .. any size shape would work we could plan our
load around your items.

20' container holds 1170 cf for less than 5000 and is a
much more economical way to ship

We could split the cargo the offload in Kailua-Kona or Hilo probably at Mihara Transfer location either side.

I would need weights and measurements as well as itemized contents for
shipping purposes of anything we put in the container. Also at recommendation subject to inspection. No hazardous materials, flammables, liquids etc,, plant materials, animals. Nothing illegal please.

Good solid takers on this gets the wheels in motion for a booking.
I do an ebay busines so I can take credit card payments for the shipments through paypal.

I moved from Hilo so I did some business with Matson and Young Brothers, they have a nice tracking of the shipment nowadays makes it even easier to see how long you need to wait for your "stuff" to arrive...

Last edited by KONASUNSET; 12-11-2008 at 10:50 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 12:30 PM

6 posts, read 20,264 times
Wow. $5,000 for a 20' container? You can ship a pickup truck for $1,500 from California with the bed loaded down with stuff!

Old 12-12-2008, 01:01 PM

Hey CountryBoy.. the 3 quotes I have for vehicles all stated there could be nothing in the vehicle except a tire jack and spare tire. Its definitely worth a double check I have all my quotes in email and they all state the same (must be empty) but let me know the carrier because that's pretty good. Who can you ship with and fill the truck bed?
I have quotes for autos too (I don't have a truck tho) 1072 best price directly with Matson for a std size car, or only 999 if I include it in my container (which uses the space up) and is not worth the extra 100 I think..

Old 03-01-2009, 05:08 PM

1 posts, read 6,001 times
Konasunset--have you found anyone to share the container yet? I am a long-time resident of Hawaii and am currently in Pdx, looking to share a container with ikea items for a studio aptartment I am building on e. side of Hawaii. thank you, Elise.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:55 PM

Aloha all - follow up as I did not know this notice was still posted (and I don't know how to delete it at this point

Our move was completed, the 20' matson container was clean and dry
and delivered to our curb in Oregon, we took our time about 4 days loading and it fit a TON of stuff inside. We purchased ratcheting tie-downs from one of the Home stores and tied off every section where steel loops were installed with 2 tie's.

Our shipping costs for household goods:

$3900 from our door to the Big Island Dock
$400 delivery to our residence

We saved unload money with a group of ten volunteers helping us
unload - we emptied the entire container in 4 hours flat and the trucker came and hauled off a nice empty
Nothing was broken but a few top load items near the back must have
moved up and down on the ocean as there were some scratch marks and
a pole lamp damaged.

We did share a portion of our container with another person to save about $1000 of the total cost.

Auto shipping - had to deliver our auto up to Seattle, no auto shipping on Matson out of Portland, Oregon where the container sailed from.

$1090 cost for a standard size car, it arrived to the other side of the island, Hilo is where the vehicles ship to, couple hours drive to pick it up.

OK that's all the useful info I have to share - I don't check this site any longer I just got an email my post was still active and figured I would post this last note. No replies will be read or answered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: