Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2007, 06:16 PM

7 posts, read 57,261 times

Advertisements

aloha puna..

my wife and i are thinking about buying a piece of property there in puna to hold onto for a while and eventually build a home on it and move over there..
we've been drawn toward the orchidland estates side of town
looks to be in an area that suits our tastes
and our budget too
we've heard some stories of flooding, ice, and illegal dumping
also looked at the community association site and seems like there are some people that are gonna keep working out the kinks and make it a better little by little as it develops...??
we will come take a look at the area in a 2 - 3 months and see for ourselves.

soooooooo, i would like to ask if anyone (lg??) has any orchidland specific info, stories, blessings, or warnings.

like how far to a place where you can jump in da water to cool off??

ok peace and mahalo

...gregor and kazue from kali
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 01:53 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,595,945 times
Aloha Gregor and Kazue, sorry I didn't respond sooner, my computer seems to have gremlins lately. You might consider staying right in Orchidland while you are here to get a good feel for the area. There are a couple of places: Art&Orchids B&B and Orchidland Vacation rentals, both have their own websites. The part of the subdivision that floods is mostly near the Pohaku street end. Ice is an ongoing problem in Puna and all Hawaii, exacerbated by the the erroneous policies of "green harvest", hopefully this will change. I don't think dumping will be as much of a problem in the future as it was in the past, because of a growing population and neighborhood pride. (It is much, much better than it used to be). Oh yeah, the closest swimming is across the highway, 6 miles down to beach rd. in HPP, then about a 2 mile walk north to Shipman's beach. The EASIEST place to go ocean swimming, however, would be at Kapoho, a few miles south, but very near the road.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:36 PM

7 posts, read 57,261 times
thanks for the reply Leilani guy. you sure are a blessing to this board. do your fingers ever hurt from typing so much?? im gonna look at the websites now and search for whatever info i can find before we fly over to check it out..
thank you . .. gregor

Old 05-25-2007, 04:08 PM

18 posts, read 140,341 times
I lived in Orchidland for three years.I liked it overall,but it has gotten much more built up in the last year or so. In addition the traffic getting in and out of the subdivision off of highway 130 had gotten much worse,during that time as well. All the central Puna subdivisions, Orchidland, HPP, and Ainaloa are facing the same major problems with traffic into and out of their subdivisions and it is going to get much worse before it gets better! If you don't need to commute to Hilo everyday I would recommend looking at subdivisions either in lower Puna(also this puts you closer to ocean access) or upper Puna, in the Kurtistown, Mountain View area.
Bill

Old 05-27-2007, 12:47 AM

59 posts, read 311,977 times
Let me echo the traffic warning from Mr. Kester.

I cannot imagine living on Rt 130 and having to exit those subdivisions. I sympathize with those that live there, and unfortunately it will get only worse.

We chose lower Puna in Leilani. Further out, yes, but out of the immediate hustle and bustle of subdivision row.

Make sure you visit Orchidland at different times throughout the day to guage for yourself.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:51 AM

1 posts, read 5,305 times
Default 'ice'?

hey folks-

pardon my ignorance, but are you guys referring to meth, when you refer to 'ice'? i assume there is no actual real ice anywhere in hawaii! ( i was hoping to not experience anymore...

thanks, and again, please pardon my ignorance!

Old 06-16-2009, 04:39 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,589,275 times
Yes and Yes Ice is meth and when your on the Big Islad look uo to the top of Mauna Kia and you see real ice aka snow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island