Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2009, 07:49 PM

3 posts, read 39,226 times

Advertisements

I know this question seems to have been answered prior, but I was hoping someone could give me fresh numbers and information closer to today's date. I am looking to move to the Kailua-Kona area on the Big Island. I have a job but am concerned about making ends meet. I am looking for opinions on the following:

1) What is the minimum salary someone could decently live on?

2) What would be a reasonable price for a furnished apartment - studio, shared, whatever - anywhere from Kailua-Kona to Kealakekua or a little south?

3) Where would you say there are hidden costs? Tax on rent? Utilities?

4) If you have a positive attitude, how easy is it to meet people and make friends? Or are people a little guarded because of the tourists?

5) What are the current costs of food? I did see the weekly shopper ad for a supermarket in Kona, but wonder how much a single person might reasonably spend on groceries in a week.

6) What do you wish people knew about Hawaii or the Kona area before they came there?

7) How easy is it to buy a car? I see a lot of used cars listed on Craigslist for under $3K with significant mileage, but I imagine a lot of them racked it up just going daily 10 mile trips on the island. Additionally, is it that complicated after buying to then register, insure and inspect one?

8) I'm moving from the Boston area, so how bad a shock could prices really be?

People on this forum seem to be endlessly patient answering this questions. I would appreciate it if someone could answer mine.

Thank you. (Is this where one appropriately uses "mahalo"?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 08:06 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,507,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canislupus View Post
I know this question seems to have been answered prior, but I was hoping someone could give me fresh numbers and information closer to today's date. I am looking to move to the Kailua-Kona area on the Big Island. I have a job but am concerned about making ends meet. I am looking for opinions on the following:

2) What would be a reasonable price for a furnished apartment - studio, shared, whatever - anywhere from Kailua-Kona to Kealakekua or a little south?

4) If you have a positive attitude, how easy is it to meet people and make friends? Or are people a little guarded because of the tourists?

5) What are the current costs of food? I did see the weekly shopper ad for a supermarket in Kona, but wonder how much a single person might reasonably spend on groceries in a week.

6) What do you wish people knew about Hawaii or the Kona area before they came there?

7) How easy is it to buy a car? I see a lot of used cars listed on Craigslist for under $3K with significant mileage, but I imagine a lot of them racked it up just going daily 10 mile trips on the island. Additionally, is it that complicated after buying to then register, insure and inspect one?

People on this forum seem to be endlessly patient answering this questions. I would appreciate it if someone could answer mine.

1. Depends upon your idea of "living"
2. Be wary of craigslist. Check out local realty agencies or the local newspapers like:
West Hawaii Today Classifieds/

3. Yes, and Yes. Remember that electricity costs around $0.40 per kwh here - about 3x what it may cost where you are. Kona is also hotter than the Hilo side (East/South) of the island

4. Shouldn't be an issue.

5. Costco and Wal-Mart are also in Kona. Stick with sale items at FoodLand, etc.

6. It's an island. It's a rock. It is a long way back to the mainland if you get homesick or tired of driving in circles. Don't try to change the way people are!

7. I haven't bought used on the island, but be wary of cars that are out of inspection, non-licensed, or owe tax.

8. Shouldn't be too bad for you!

Old 04-27-2009, 09:25 PM

312 posts, read 1,373,966 times
i'm not sure what the cost of living in boston is, could you elaborate a little on that? and what kind of life do you live where you are? for instance, buying/renting. apt vs. house. vs ohana, etc. multiple cars, are you single, a couple or a family? animals? anything like that?

the only one i can answer right now is what do you wish people knew about kona before they came. i wish they didn't expect it to be like where they came from, pure and simple. people are used to some sort of night life, when there is none (i like that though!), they like parties and events, concerts, and it upsets them that there is close to none of that here. (i like that too!)

Old 04-27-2009, 10:24 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,991 times
I would say a minimum salary to live a reasonably comfortable life here is about $4000. Rent for a 1 BR unfurnished, around $800 to $1000. Qualifying for a lease usually entails making 2.5 to 3 X's the rent in gross salary per month. Some individual owners will round of the rent to include the tax, property management companies normally add the tax to the base so that your rent might be 1041.66 per month. This is not a "hidden" cost. Tax can be visibly passed on or not, depends on the owner/landlord's preference. Utilities are not "hidden" either. Either you pay them individually by some mannner (electric in your name, prorated share of a whole bill, etc) or the owner opts to calculate the rent to cover the cost because they don't want to mess with figuring prorations for tenants in that ohana out back. Hidden seems to infer devious, perhaps, which is not the case. The ads should say "$1000 + tax and utilities" or "$1000/month inclusive" or some such phrase. Then you know. Of course, ask to make sure.

It is very easy to buy a used vehicle right now. Tons of them for sale. If you're in the $2000 to $3000 bracket you should do fine in that respect.

Used furniture is easy to come by and not too expensive. Clothing and shoe needs are probably 75% less than the mainland. Groceries, sundries etc so depends on what you like, it's hard to guess that. Car insurance, gasoline, oil, occasional maintenace, figure those in too. If you pay insurance quarterly, save some every month so you make sure you have enough.

Be sure that your job offer is a contract in writing before you buy that plane ticket.

I imagine that cost of living in Boston is pretty high so you may not see a huge difference here except for electric and some food costs.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:01 PM

3 posts, read 39,226 times
Default Responses - Thank you

Thank you, everyone, for your responses.

Meand3boys: I'm pretty hardy and can make it in a more rural location (I grew up in a pretty remote area) though occasionally it might be hard not to have night life. My idea of night life, though, is being with a few friends and sitting out on a patio, not going clubbing. So long as I can make some friends, that'll probably be fine. I have been wary of Craigslist and have met good and bad on it. Thank you for the tip on the cars!

Galactastica: the cost here in Boston is pretty high. I think I'm looking for an ohana (studio?) though I could live with roommates if it would cut down on the cost. I am aiming not to spend more than $700 - but I would be willing to help a landlord or clean a home in exchange for lower rent. My money worries really stem from having to pay some bills back home - I can't sell my house here, and have other expenses to float - at the same time that I need to live in Hawaii. My job pays well enough if I was living only in Hawaii, but financially, I'll be living in two states. I'm thinking I may have a disposable income of approximately $25,000, maybe a bit more. It seems so hard to tell. So if I had to, could I spend under $2000 a month to live (start up costs of deposit, car, etc. excluded)? That would cover rent, bills and food - even if just barely?

KonaKat, I meant "hidden" to mean more likely I wouldn't think of them or wouldn't necessarily know if they were built into the cost of an apartment. Thank you for pointing that out to me. Car insurance, gas and groceries are where I really expect to spend money, not clothing or other fripperies.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:52 PM

312 posts, read 1,373,966 times
no matter how expensive hawaii is, i think it is also an easy place to live on a small salary if you are willing to live differenty than you may already. for instance, people say you have to make a ton of money to live here, but me and my husband make under a grand a paycheck for both of us and do just fine. we have an ohana, 2 cats, truck and a scooter. most things to DO here are free anyways, you never have to spend money on activities, there is so much to do for free. other than rent, our largest expenses are food and gas.
some ohanas and studios will have slightly higher prices, but will have all utilities included, which honesty is probably a better deal most places. we found a place for 700, but no utilities were included, making the ohana for 900 a much better deal because of that.
also, have you been here before? just coming and looking around makes a big difference in not only what it's like money wise, but also if you want to be here at all. a lot of people move here and it's so different, even if they have the money to live here they leave.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:57 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
Most of the things to do on the Island of Hawaii are family/friends events so making friends is very important. It shouldn't be too hard, though, folks are pretty friendly.

Don't expect this to be "paradise" it's just got warmer climate and some good scenery is all.

Don't try to change things here, we seriously DO NOT CARE HOW IT IS DONE ON THE MAINLAND. We do not want to be like the mainland we don't want to do things "they way they do back home". If Hawaiian style takes longer or is not efficient, we don't care. There are reasons why things are done the way they are and after you've been here five or six years, and if you still think things should be done differently then we may listen. (Or we may not.)

One way to make friends is to ask folks for advice on things. Ask things in a very general fashion to allow a lot of leeway in the answers. Asking "should I get a Subaru Jeep or a Suzuki Jeep?" doesn't allow for the answer of "get a Ford pickup" which might be the better answer depending on where you are planning on going and what you are going to do.

If you have any outdoor hobbies you can do in the park, then perhaps you will meet other folks doing the same things. Volunteer work at a nearby school helps meeting people. Join a garden club, a book club or take up paddling or some recreation where you will meet folks. Pretty soon you will meet folks.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:13 PM

6 posts, read 33,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canislupus View Post

Based on 6 years living in Kona.

That's up to your tastes: wants vs. needs = $$.

Tons of rentals right now, $500/up.

Electric .40 cents/kwh - (highest in nation)

Pushy, impatient, rude and self centered people will have problems. Open your eyes and ears, and shut your mouth. Generally it will take some months to find true close friends, you will meet plenty of acquaintences, and when you need help you will find out who your true friends are.

Can be expensive, but deals are to be had @ Farmer's Markets for produce and shopping with coupons/sales. I think the grocers are in cahoots because it seems you have to visit multiple stores to get all the good prices on items.

It's very laid back, SLOW DOWN, (this applies in many areas, not just driving) the VOG (Volcanic Fog, i.e. Sulphur Dioxide), you will be called a Haole by locals (in jest or in extreme anger along with some other fine words preceding it)

Lot's of cheap used cars. Look for RUST DAMAGE, salt is a ***** on cars here. We do have inspection stickers, so make sure basics work. (turn signals, lights, mirrors attached, non bald tires, etc.)

Not sure personally, but I've been told by friends that it's similar to NY for a variety of items. (If you can live and survive in Kona, you can live ANYWHERE in the US!)

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island