Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2007, 11:12 AM

2 posts, read 8,685 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

A job opportunity has us considering a move from Denver to the Big Island around Waimea. We know this will be a huge change for us! We are looking for information about Waimea, how it compares to Kona, options on housing, and moving tips. One of us has a legal background, and if anyone is familiar with the Court system in that area, any info would be appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 02:41 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,598,149 times
Aloha. I live on the other end of the isle, but I can tell you a few things about Waimea/Kamuela. It is higher, cooler, greener, less crowded than Kona, a small town, cow & horse country, pretty. Check "West Hawaii Today", the local newspaper, available online for housing, etc. You might check the state website, Hawaii(dot)gov for info. about the court system here.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:16 PM

2 posts, read 8,685 times
Thanks so much leilaniguy! We're real excited about the move and I have learned a lot from your postings on this site. All the information you share about the Big Island is so much appreciated!

Old 06-25-2008, 03:31 PM

10 posts, read 35,395 times
Hi
We used to live on the big island. We lived in Waikoloa which is between Kona and Waimea. Waimea is cowboy county with Parker ranch( a famous landmark) Everything there symbolizes horses and cowboys. There is a wet and a dry side, quite interesting. You drive to Waimea and you are surrounded by nothing but Lava rocks. I find it quite boring but my husband loves the scenery.
There are TONs of jobs on the big island which is good and bad. Bad because you go to Subway and standing in line forever cuz they need help.
There is not a lot in Wamea( a hospital, blockbuster, 2 grocery stores. ) It is about a little over an hour to Kona where you can go to Wamart and a little more conveniences.
We used to live in kona too.
As far as the legal system, I used to be a social worker and had clients with records. What did you want to know? The biggest prob is speeding. It is probably the fastest you can drive in the state.
We moved back to Maui, little more people and things to do.
If you need more info let me know!

Old 12-21-2008, 02:41 PM

8 posts, read 30,860 times
Would like to connect with someone that has lived on or is moving to Kauai. We are planning on moving over in July 09. My children live in Kapaa.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:42 PM

8 posts, read 30,860 times
Default Moving to Kauai

I would like to write someone who is moving to Kauai. We are moving over in July 09. My children live on the island and love it. I have a new grandbaby and am going crazy.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:02 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,304,476 times
You may have more luck getting replies if you use the "New Thread" button and begin a new thread with a title referencing Kauai...there are a few regular posters who live there, but they may miss your thread since this one is titled "Big Island"...

Old 12-21-2008, 10:07 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josfari View Post
Hi
<SNIP>
There are TONs of jobs on the big island which is good and bad. Bad because you go to Subway and standing in line forever cuz they need help.<SNIP>
Not any more, the jobs are gone. There are all of thirteen "help wanted" ads in the Hilo paper this morning and not many of them were for jobs you could afford to live on.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:20 AM

65 posts, read 289,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer1968 View Post
Hi everyone,

A job opportunity has us considering a move from Denver to the Big Island around Waimea. We know this will be a huge change for us! We are looking for information about Waimea, how it compares to Kona, options on housing, and moving tips. One of us has a legal background, and if anyone is familiar with the Court system in that area, any info would be appreciated!

Aloha from Waimea! My husband and I relocated here from Alaska six years ago. How it is different from Kona:
- Much less vog, especially on the "wet" side which isn't so wet anymore (climate change or la nina?).
- It's much cooler as it is at 2500 feet elevation.
- Entry level housing costs a bit less than Kona on the tropical windward side of town, starting around $300K for a cosmetic fixer.
- Half way down the hill towards the beaches, beautiful homes on dry grassland 1+ acres with ocean views can be found around $1M.
- The island's best private school.
- Views of snow capped Mauna Kea (no ocean view).
- The heart of Hawaii Island's alternative medicine community is here.
- Waimea has the island's best hospital.
- It has a clear "sense of place," or community identity (home of the paniolo, or Hawaiian cowboy).
- Just 20-30 minutes to the island's two best beaches, dive and deep fishing charter harbor.
- Home to the island's best restaurant "Merriman's."
- Home to world class astronomers/astrophysists. Don't miss the Keck Observatory's open house.
- It's very quiet. If we had sidewalks they would roll up very early. No nightlife to speak of.

Other thoughts - If you are moving here with a pet, check out Animal Quarantine Information &mdash; Hawaii Department of Agriculture. I found it made more sense to sell the cars and buy others here. Research Hawaii's cost of living. I'm guessing it's 20% higher that the US median. If you have kids research the private schools.

I hope this helps!

Old 12-22-2008, 06:39 AM

100 posts, read 335,452 times
This is an old thread. The OP for this thread was inquiring about moving back in April of 07. Probably already moved....
Nelli
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: