Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 08:47 AM

5 posts, read 69,189 times

Advertisements

My partner and I may be moving there for work. Not sure where I will be working, but he will be near Wiakoloa. We in our early 30's from DC, quazi urbanish. What are the areas to look at for younger people? No kids, so school system is not a problem. Looking for 'hipper' areas. Not so much yuppies run amok, but just kinda artsy, young profesionals. A place where people will get my "I heard it on NPR" shirt. I'm an interior designer and he's in the hospitalty business. He has a car and I have a scooter, of course when we move I will most prob get a car as well. I was thinking somwere between Kona and Wiakoloa, but there does not seem to be much there. We wanted to keep the commute to around 30-45 mins if possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 12:03 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
Ryan, when's the last time you were in Kona? The only way to have a 30-45 minute commute is if you are walking across the street! Kona traffic is horrible all day long and impossible during rush hour. I don't know of any urban, hip areas on the Big Island, but you may want to look at Holualoa. It's a small community with lots of art galleries. Just be prepare for very high housing prices anywhere near Kona.

Old 04-19-2007, 03:28 PM

5 posts, read 69,189 times
Yikes. Perhaps something outside of the Kona area, further up north? Re: Housing prices, DC is the same if not worse. 500K for 1 bd 1 ba condo around here, so we are prepared for that part.

Old 04-19-2007, 04:54 PM

6 posts, read 32,351 times
Default Kona??

Try Waimea.

Old 05-21-2007, 01:04 AM

61 posts, read 451,785 times
Waikoloa is more affordable than either Kona or Waimea and with a fairly "young" database. Hotels are close as are the Kings shops etc. And yeah the Kona traffic is absolutely horrible. If you are in traffic on a weekday afternoon, to go from the airport to town can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour and that is only a couple miles. Don't even try to go past Kailua town and head south. It's twice as bad if not worse. Look at Waikoloa.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:07 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,304,476 times
Waikoloa is a personal favorite as well. Access to great beaches in both directions when back on the Hwy. Makes the trip to Waimea easy, so you will probably head up there more often than if you were in Kona. Plenty inventory on the market right now, so prices have come down a bit...

Old 05-26-2007, 09:22 PM

51 posts, read 325,843 times
wow, traffic is that bad huh? I am moving to Kona area for 2 1/2 months and Kealekekua for 1 month.....is there a better time of day to travel, say early am?

Old 05-30-2007, 11:53 PM

Kona traffic bottlenecks around 3pm until maybe 6 or 7pm or so. If you go to Kealakekua, the traffic is terrible during the same period, but because there is only one road it is compounded. I rarely travel there because of the traffic. Growing up I could get from Kailua to Captain Cook in about 20 minutes or so, during the heavy traffic periods nowadays it would take maybe an hour or more to go the 13 miles or so. A few years ago I could go from my house to Kailua town and back in a half hour, now to pick up my kids from Preschool and the sitter takes me on average a little more than an hour.
I try to travel either early but after school starts, say 9am or so, and get home by 3pm. After that, as a family to go shopping for food or to Walmart etc, we try to go after 7pm at least.

Old 05-31-2007, 02:21 PM

51 posts, read 325,843 times
Ok, so like most cities.....and freeways, etc. it is best to travel not during rush hours even in Kona! I will definately keep that in mind!!! Thx for the info! I guess staying put in Kona for dinner & shopping, etc...is also an idea between 3-7pm......any suggestions for awesome sunset views and a cocktail??

Old 05-31-2007, 06:44 PM

Huggos on the rocks is nice, but I think for the most part a lot of the restaurants or bars on the ocean side in town have drop dead awesome sunsets and views. Kona Inn, Bubba Gumps, Hard Rock, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island