Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 08:16 PM

62 posts, read 223,518 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I am looking for some information on Kopua Farm Lots. The plots are 20 acres and seem to be pretty reasonable.

Can anyone give me information on this area. Is it a good area to build on? I found the elevation is about 1000' and that it is lava zone 3 but that is about the only information I have at this point.

Are you able to grow the trouble plants (Palms, pineapple, guava, etc) at this elevation?

ANY information that anyone is able to provide is GREATLY appreciated!!

Mahalo!!

P.S. My wife and I were married on Kauai 5 years ago and we come back every year for 2 - 3 weeks. We new immediatly that one day we were going to live in Hawaii so...no better time than the present to get started!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 12:41 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,597,423 times
Kopua is the last of the large Puna subs. to be developed, about the year 2000. When it was first offered, 20 acre lots were $25K (a real bargain, missed it, kick me hard!) it is between Eden Roc and Fern Forest, making it one of the higher, wetter subs. the roads are cinder & dirt , miles long; you will need 4WD. There are no utilities as far as I know. All the plants you mentioned would grow like mad, though why you would want a nasty, awful weed like guava is beyond me..

Old 05-02-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
though why you would want a nasty, awful weed like guava is beyond me..
When we were in Kauai we had guava and it grew on a tree. Actually a very good tasting fruit.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:36 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,260,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii Bound View Post
When we were in Kauai we had guava and it grew on a tree. Actually a very good tasting fruit.
Guava (especially "strawberry guava" aka "pineapple guava" or "purple guava") is an "invasive species" in Hawai'i. Before you plant anything here, please learn about the native flora and fauna. At one time or another, someone thought that strawberry guava, Miconia, Albizia trees, garlic mustard, porcelainberry, Japanese barberry, Russian olive, and a host of other seemingly innocuous fauna would be nice to have around. Unfortunately, they became a little bit too prolific here and are considered "weeds" to be eradicated.
http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/psca1.htm

You should see what we do to Puerto Rico's beloved coqui frog in Hawai'i.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:13 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,338,305 times
I was thinking of buying one of those Kopua plots until I drove out to look at it....a L O N G drive out washboard and rutted roads. I actually made it out there in my BMW but...

If you are the type who seldom goes to town and wants an off-grid exitsance, you might like it. They all looked to be flat. The ones on the makai side seemed to be weeds and young Ohia, the ones on the Mauka side were weeds with slightly older Ohia. I silently wondered if I could get building materials delivered.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:51 PM

1 posts, read 8,840 times
aloha, it looks like you've got your questions answered. I'll take on any more over at kopua.com.

Yes, there's plenty of guava and it is taking over the native forest. By the time you decide on moving to kopua it will be one giant guava bush invested with coquis. Pineapples will grow slowly. Any plants that don't need sunlight will grow well in kopua (2-300 inches of rain a year). I hope this is helpful.

Old 05-27-2007, 09:37 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,304,014 times
Photos and a bit of history at Kopua Farmlots Homepage

Old 05-29-2007, 02:27 PM

18 posts, read 140,348 times
I believe that part of the reason those lots are so reasonable is tha they are totally off the grid-in other words no utilities are available. But off course solar energy would work well and you would certainly get enough rain up there that a big water catchment tank would take care of your water needs.
Bill

Old 06-18-2007, 07:31 PM

Default Thank you.

Thank you to everyone who has responded. I am currently speaking with builders to get an estimate of the cost to build and hopefully start building within the next year. Does anyone have any local architects to recommend?

Old 06-23-2007, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 8,730 times
I would just like to add my take on the beauty of Kopua Farm Lots -

Subtle it may be but intoxicating. The land looks deceptively flat but chosen wisely the views are spectacular. From the clearing on our land we can see from the southern tip of Mauna Loa, up through the Saddle and along Mauna Kea, up the Hamakua coast and the ocean near Hilo Bay.

On clear days the mountains glow pink and red during sunrise. Mauka showers Konaside often blur the sunset but on days when the light shines through the Saddle it’s spectacular.

Plants grow quickly and lush, and the land is alive with birds.

There are ample resources for solar power, cell phone and wireless internet reception is good, and with good water storage one should be set!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island