Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 05:15 PM

118 posts, read 671,964 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'm back after a few exhausting days. Work has been work ... I'm ready for something new that's for sure. Maybe shooting the breeze with a couple of laid back islanders will be just the medicine for me.

It's done: our tickets have arrived!

I have been doing endless research on the island and real estate. It seems locals like yourselves are the most valuable resource anybody could ever ask for. You certainly are wonderful for sharing you knowledge and experiences.

We just joined Costco! Do you have to also be a member of Cost-U-Less? If so, is it worth it for a 16 day first trip?

So coffee growing in Puna, if desired, is not out of the question. That's interesting, I will have to look into that further when I'm over. It's not that I'm certain I will continue with coffee or not, but having the option is great.

Do either of you gentlemen, Genxor or Leilani Guy, know anything about the Pahala/ Naalehu areas? I have been looking a lots and houses there as well as Puna and Milloli Beach. I don't know for certain what and where I'm buying, but buying something for my semi'-retirement is the plan. My pension will be decent, but I will probably continue to do something for a supplemental income as I have young children and a wife to take care of. I have lived in a box most of my life in law-enforcement, always being under the eye of big brother, so a little less stressful job doing anything will possibly suit me just fine. I have fairly lucrative opportunities elsewhere because of my diverse experience, but frankly with law-enforcement, I think after 29 years I will have had enough!

You're right not to worry so much about prices always, where there's a will there's a way they say, and I have experienced that as all of us have.

These subdivisions are still a mystery to me. I want to try and get the best deal like everybody else, but I want (like everybody) to have a great view, easy access to a small town with some amenities, decent neighborhood, and some other things I just can't think of right now. By the way, I write like I speak, off the hip without editing much. Please forgive the randomness of my ramblings as I barely get enough time right now to be here!

If you have any other thoughts, I would really appreciate you continuing to share them as you have so generously been doing all this time. Maybe a so-called "free breakfeast" is more than well earned!

Keep trucking! You can see with that expression that I'm old school,

Patrick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 05:39 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,597,423 times
Aloha Patrick, Cost-U-Less is public, just set up like Costco, a lot smaller. Pahala is a plantation town off the highway, Naalehu is the main town in Kau, about 1000 people, has most of the stores, cafes, police station, etc. pretty country around there, about 60-70 miles from Hilo or Kona.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:57 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,260,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddywagons View Post
So coffee growing in Puna, if desired, is not out of the question. That's interesting, I will have to look into that further when I'm over. It's not that I'm certain I will continue with coffee or not, but having the option is great.
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the fact the Sharky's Coffee Company is based in Puna. IMO, the beans that Sharky's grows and roasts are better than much of the stuff grown over in Kona.

Old 05-31-2007, 12:21 AM

59 posts, read 312,006 times
Patrick,

Do not concern yourself with Cost-U-Less , while it is great for Hilo / Puna residents , it does have a pretty small selection. We will just run in to get a few things, not alot.

Honestly have never traveled through Pahala or the vicinity. Most of the locals here will travel the "north" route if going to Kona. You may find, and maybe not, that having to travel to the "city" ( be it Kona or Hilo ) is a bit far.

You will have to find the area that has the best " feel " for you and your family !! I am sure you and your family are excited about your trip !

Old 05-31-2007, 06:00 AM

Default Cutting costs in Hawaii, any ideas?

Goodmorning Leilaniguy/ Genxor/ All!

Everywhere over there seems to have so much to offer in one way or another. I have a feeling I will like it all and it will be tough to decide where to choose. Price will dictate I expect to a large degree, and that's OK since it all seems pretty great.

The Naalehu area seems quaint from the description, I think I'd like that. I do like to visit the city though as often as I like to be in the country. It seems I'm always looking for something to do or see, whether it be work or play. It doesn't have to be anything adventurous, just simple is OK like visiting a park, downtown, shops - I don't care! I have a reputation for being happy & positive no matter what. It makes my wife jealous as she is not as extroverted. She enjoys my company very much though as I have a firm policy of inclusion and nobody gets left behind or without attention when I'm around - unless that's what they prefer.

I will probably find something and someplace I like anywhere when I am over there, it's typical of me since I'm a hopeless optimist, people can't believe when they meet me that I was a cop in the ghettos all my adult life, I look at myself and I agree - I don't look the part! So, I'm very open to any suggestions and will listen and consider everthing anybody suggests.

Thanks for the info on the Puna coffee, that is something I had never known. Everyday one of you generous people continues to educate me.

I thank you very much,

Patrick

Old 06-01-2007, 12:39 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Paddywagons, I have a house in Discovery Harbour, which is just outside of Naalehu. I have lots of pictures; email me privately and I will send some to you.

Naalehu is a SMALL town with a bakery, Ace Hardware, two restaurants, a market, an internet cafe, credit union and health clinic. There is a Farmer's Market on Wednesdays and Saturdays. A lady grows and roasts her own coffee on the hills above town, and sells it at the farmer's market under the name of Rusty's coffee. Very good stuff!

We do take shopping trips into Kona and Hilo. The good part is that Hawaii is an island, and you can drive around the whole thing in 5 1/2 hours. You don't have to live close to stuff to still be able to have access.

Our subdivision has 800 lots, about 200 of which have been built on. We are like lots of others in the subdivision who plan to retire there. There are some people who work in the area and some who actually commute to Kona, which is way too long. Prices for vacant lots range from about $80,000 to $200,000, and home prices range from $275,000 to $700,000. There are other subdivisions nearby with lower prices, but we have paved streets, street lights, water, electricity, phone and cable tv. I think that Discovery Harbour and Volcano Golf Club are the only subdivisions in Ka'u with county water.

Then down the road about 15 miles toward Kona is Hawaiian Ocean View Estates. You can buy a one-acre lot there for under $10,000, but it would be all lava and off the grid. Some parts of HOVE do have electricity and phone and some actually have trees. Of course, those are more expensive.

Ka'u, like Puna, is varied. Plan to come and spend time driving around and experiencing all that we have to offer.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:04 PM

Hello Dreamer,

Sounds lovely in Discovery Harbor, I will visit the entire area if it can be done in 16 days. I arrive July 20 into Kona, so I will probably go north around the island for several days until I hit Hilo where I will check out Puna and then on to Ka'u. Puna has some incredible deals but I know there are drawbacks as well, like anywhere. It seems the areas around Naalehu are worth looking into. I know my wife probably won't want anywhere too dry like HOVE, as she is into at least green if not LUSH green. Something with rain between 40 and 80 inches annually might be just fine. More is probably OK too, as long as it is continually interspersed with daily sunshine most days. We have children, so I don't know if that's a prohibition in some communities that might prefer just retirees which I can understand if that's their plan and they're paying for it. We were looking into the lower areas south of HOVE and hoping they would be affordable. A 3 acre lot sounds great, and if we like the area and find a bargain, we plan on buying.

I look forward to a cup of Rusty's coffee, and while I'm there maybe I'll buy you a cup if you're available since you were nice enough to take the time to reply.

My email is paddywagons1@hotmail.com.

Aloha,

Patrick

PS: Is Naalehu a mostly friendly town to outsiders? I would guess yes, since that would encourage spending.

Last edited by Paddywagons; 06-01-2007 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-06-2007, 03:04 PM

378 posts, read 1,203,587 times
Paddywagons... When you get back I hope you can write a report for the rest of us dreamers! I'm anxious to know what you find! More and more considering the BI to settle in. Have a great and successful trip!

Old 06-07-2007, 07:49 PM

Default My Trip

Sure, I will write an honest review. I'm hoping I return with great news. I'm in Florida, where are you?

Old 06-08-2007, 10:56 AM

216 posts, read 1,185,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddywagons View Post
Hello Dreamer,

Sounds lovely in Discovery Harbor, I will visit the entire area if it can be done in 16 days. I arrive July 20 into Kona, so I will probably go north around the island for several days until I hit Hilo where I will check out Puna and then on to Ka'u. Puna has some incredible deals but I know there are drawbacks as well, like anywhere. It seems the areas around Naalehu are worth looking into. I know my wife probably won't want anywhere too dry like HOVE, as she is into at least green if not LUSH green. Something with rain between 40 and 80 inches annually might be just fine. More is probably OK too, as long as it is continually interspersed with daily sunshine most days. We have children, so I don't know if that's a prohibition in some communities that might prefer just retirees which I can understand if that's their plan and they're paying for it. We were looking into the lower areas south of HOVE and hoping they would be affordable. A 3 acre lot sounds great, and if we like the area and find a bargain, we plan on buying.

I look forward to a cup of Rusty's coffee, and while I'm there maybe I'll buy you a cup if you're available since you were nice enough to take the time to reply.

My email is paddywagons1@hotmail.com.

Aloha,

Patrick

PS: Is Naalehu a mostly friendly town to outsiders? I would guess yes, since that would encourage spending.
Just Curious. How old are your children? Are you concerned at all about schools? It is worth some research, especially in South Kona. Just a heads up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island