Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 06:43 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,188,870 times

Advertisements

First off Mahalo and Thankyou for reading.

I have a friend on the Big Island that is going through a tough future.

She has been diagnosed with breast cancer. Due to a drunk driver hitting her a couple of years ago and self employeed she can not get insurance for pre injury of neck issues. Meaning no insurance for cancer.

I am jumping ahead here trying to set a plan for the future. She has applied to state programs. Going to Texas for further future plan, do the surgery and start chemo on Ohua. She is postive thinking she can go for chemo and come back to BI in between. I am thinking this isn't going to be possible.

Does anyone have a studio type to rent that would be close to hosipital??
Working on getting non profit organization to help with this, with donations to cover. Again just in planning stage..... Looking for any type of help.

Also I am going to try to put together a benifit of donations for gift certifcates to auction off in (some location?) will do one in the Puna area but thinking I need to move it to a Kona location or Honolulu to get bigger bang for the buck? Any ideas anyone has to help this hard working, great heart felt person that is in a bind, please let me know.

I will be on the BI next week and start organizing anything??!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 06:57 PM

292 posts, read 949,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
Due to a drunk driver hitting her a couple of years ago and self employeed she can not get insurance for pre injury of neck issues. Meaning no insurance for cancer.

That doesn't make any sense. Insurance can be had, but may not have covered pre existing conditions, of which neck injury may have been one. That has nothing to do with a later cancer diagnosis. She didn't get health insurance because they wouldn't pay for neck issues? And now she has cancer?

Old 12-08-2009, 07:12 PM

I am researching at this time what is the possiblility even in this state. I do know many states do not allow Pre existing conditions allow for self employeed insurance. I know in Washington you can get insurance with a Pre existing condition, you have to prove residence with ultility bills,voter card etc. . But many insurance companies have pulled out of WA for this reason. And if you have capped an isurance company in medical bills, they won't take you... I believe she did that also. I was looking at this issue with my Dad with cancer here in WA .... he died right at the cap... so it was paid except 20%. If he went beyond it isn't covered.

Not sure in Hawaii... haven't gone into everything but a lawyer is involved and stating no insurance. Weither it being now the diangnoses has been done and getting insurance isn't possible. (My way of thinking is this probable is the case.) I know with friends of mine here in WA once the cap of insurance is finished ($1million with Primera Regency Blue Cross) with pre existing condition of cancer for his 9 month old no one will give insurance. He joined the army and is in Iraq to get coverage for his son. Ohh and you can't walk away from medical debt. He is over 3 million in debt in as little as 3 years.

yes had neck surgery's with insurance and now has cancer with none. I am not asking for $$ donations (but will take any have a savings account started but looking for non profit for tax chairty releif for donators.) Just looking for ideas for paying medical bills coming soon in the future or if anyone has any ideas for getting medical expenses paid.

Last edited by nwcountrygal; 12-08-2009 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 12-08-2009, 07:29 PM

156 posts, read 806,398 times
How about Medicaid?

Old 12-08-2009, 07:37 PM

too young... believe. Again I am just starting out checking everything out. Possible the state programs are going to kick in but more than likely not cover time for treatment in Honolulu residence. crossing fingers it will but .... The medicad maybe paying for the Texas appointment. Something is ............Again in just starting stage sorry.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:15 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,076,962 times
Thailand has really good medical at about one tenth the rates charged in the United States. A lot of my friends go to Bauer Garten hospital in Bangkok when they need expensive things done. Flying to Thailand is a lot cheaper than trying to get insurance.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:04 AM

155 posts, read 545,397 times
This might seem far out to you and your friend, but many people consider it to be better treatment than western medicine.

Have you ever heard of a medical intuitive? A MI can look at a person, "scan" that person, and tell you what's wrong. I saw an article on Jay Caliendo, published in a reputable research journal, that showed he gave a right diagnosis in 80% of the cases.

Next stop, after getting a diagnosis... go see a healer. They can work with people's energy, change it, heal people. I mean, hey! If you break down the human body, at the basic level, you get protons, neutrons and electrons. Pure energy.

My guess is that lots of people call themselves healers, and maybe 1 out of 100 really has a gift. The challenge is to separate the con men (and women) from the people with real gifts.

I am a skeptic. Very reason-based. Very scientific. And still... I think there is value in alternative medicine. I can't tell you how my cell phone works, but if I was in trouble, I would use it to call 911. I don't know how MIs or healers work, but if I was in trouble, I might go talk to them.

Our modern science doesn't have diagnostic equipment to measure certain types of energy, or the power of a healer... the technology isn't there yet. But, that doesn't mean real hands-on healing doesn't exist.

Just trying to help. I hope that you and your friend find inner peace while going through the process.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:13 AM

Thanks both...

Yes looking into alternative also. I have a family member that does participate in "energy" healing and it has helped allot. There is something to be said about that.

Will look into Thailand also.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:44 AM

156 posts, read 806,398 times
Medicare is for seniors and it's federal program. But I talk about Medicaid, it doesn't have age limitation and managed on state level. If your friend meet income requirements she is eligible for Medicaid. Check with your local office.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:47 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,605,713 times
I wish the best for your friend. I have a good friend that was in the same situation as yours 10 years ago. She managed to keep her life and her little home. Hawaii medicaid (Medquest) handled her care. She also signed up for everything available; welfare, S.S disability, foodstamps, foodbanks, and relied on friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island