Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 12:37 PM

216 posts, read 1,185,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stxx7 View Post
There seems to be a lot of good reasons to move to Hawaii as to what I have read and researched. I just like to inquire more than maybe needed since going there to visit 4 or 5 times b4 moving there isn't an option. I think the only thing left to research is shipping our household items....less expensive to rebuy once we get there?......
My guess would be to rebuy when you get here. There are so many people moving back to the mainland regularly that you can find great furniture, etc. at garage sales. We came here with only suitcases and have more than enough "stuff" now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 03:04 PM

9 posts, read 106,962 times
Great advice! What about computers though? I read somewhere that someone put theirs in their suitcase.

Old 05-27-2007, 04:23 PM

4 posts, read 230,534 times
Default cpu

buy a laptop? I am selling my desktops and just bring the lap. If I move to Hawaii and spend all my time on my computer, then I def. moved for the wrong reason

Old 05-28-2007, 12:22 AM

59 posts, read 312,052 times
True to all responses....

Those moving to Oahu will find a larger selection of furniture stores than those moving to the Big Island.

Here in Hilo, there are about 4 furniture stores, that seem to have the same selection, and that selection is pretty slim. Remember, furniture prices are higher here , like everything else.

The airlines are not responsible if your computer is damaged in your luggage. We all know how the luggage is thrown around.

We purchased a laptop before we moved for this exact reason. Thus, your laptop is a carry-on.

Old 05-28-2007, 02:15 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,598,734 times
The first 2 times I moved here, I did it via USPS, (Buy the insurance). I sent cutlery, pots, pans, silverware, tools and such, that is much more costly overall to replace than bedding, clothes or furniture.

Old 05-28-2007, 10:29 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,943,719 times
Default Saving big bucks on moving

We moved here (Oahu) about seventeen years ago from Placentia, CA, near Anaheim. We brought very little furniture, but enough that we needed a 20 ft container. I priced having what we would take moved by a moving company, and found I could do it for about half that, as follows:

We called Matson and asked them to make a container available. Then I hired a trucking company to bring it to our house and park it on the street. We had packed lots of our small stuff ourselves. Then I called a moving company and asked if I could hire two of their packers by the hour. They packed the container. Then we hired the trucking company to bring the container to Matson, and paid Matson to bring the container to Honolulu. On Oahu, we hired a trucking company to bring the container to our house, and we unpacked it.

A lot of details, but it sure saved a lot of money.

Hank

Old 05-28-2007, 11:43 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,751,508 times
We would love to retire in HI. Our home would be paid for and our retirement income roughly $60,000 a year. No credit card bills. Is this possible?

Old 05-28-2007, 12:48 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asp4ever47 View Post
buy a laptop? I am selling my desktops and just bring the lap. If I move to Hawaii and spend all my time on my computer, then I def. moved for the wrong reason
Some folks do have to work long hours in order to live in Hawai'i.

In terms of desktop computers on the Big Island, we have Costco, OfficeMax, and Radio Shack, along with small shops like Falcon Computers. In addition, manufacturers like Dell, Apple, and Gateway and mail order companies like PCMall, PCWarehouse, etc. do ship to Hawai'i. On O'ahu, there are two Apple stores, Best Buy, CompUSA, Costco, Sam's Club, and many other places where one can purchase a computer. For the most part, the prices for computers in Hawai'i tend to be about 5-10% higher than elsewhere. If you need the power of a desktop computer, it's often relatively cost-effective to purchase one in Hawai'i. On a side note, the tropical environment tends to be a little harsh on computer equipment, and it's usually cheaper and easier to replace components in a desktop computer in comparison to a laptop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genxor View Post
Here in Hilo, there are about 4 furniture stores, that seem to have the same selection, and that selection is pretty slim. Remember, furniture prices are higher here , like everything else.
In terms of furniture on the Big Island, the industrial section of Kona is the best place to shop in terms of selection and quality. If you don't own a pickup truck, make friends with someone that owns one. O'ahu, on the other hand, has plenty of furniture stores and the prices aren't much higher than outside Hawai'i if you're willing to wait for sales. Most of the furniture stores O'ahu will ship items to Hilo for a nominal charge. In addition, the tropical environment can be harsh on furniture. Fiberboard or pressboard furniture (like much of the stuff available at Wal-Mart, K-Mart, etc.) tends not to hold up too well. Don't skimp on quality in order to save a few bucks.

Most folks that move to Hawai'i bring more stuff than they need. If you can buy it in Hawai'i, it's probably not that cost-effective to bring it. It the items is difficult-to-obtain in Hawai'i, then it's probably worthwhile to bring it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Warner View Post
We would love to retire in HI. Our home would be paid for and our retirement income roughly $60,000 a year. No credit card bills. Is this possible?
Yes, it's possible for you to retire in Hawai'i, depending on your assets. In terms of retirement, one's assets are just as important (if not more so) as one's income.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:52 PM

51 posts, read 325,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankDfrmSD View Post
We moved here (Oahu) about seventeen years ago from Placentia, CA, near Anaheim. We brought very little furniture, but enough that we needed a 20 ft container. I priced having what we would take moved by a moving company, and found I could do it for about half that, as follows:

We called Matson and asked them to make a container available. Then I hired a trucking company to bring it to our house and park it on the street. We had packed lots of our small stuff ourselves. Then I called a moving company and asked if I could hire two of their packers by the hour. They packed the container. Then we hired the trucking company to bring the container to Matson, and paid Matson to bring the container to Honolulu. On Oahu, we hired a trucking company to bring the container to our house, and we unpacked it.

A lot of details, but it sure saved a lot of money.

Hank
Hank, about how much did this cost you? We might have to look into this in a few months, ourselves. Thx! Altho, if this was 17 yrs ago, then it most likely is a LOT more now!

Old 05-29-2007, 02:20 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,943,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firecoach View Post
Hank, about how much did this cost you? We might have to look into this in a few months, ourselves. Thx! Altho, if this was 17 yrs ago, then it most likely is a LOT more now!
Seems to me that one of the numbers was $10,000, but I'm not sure if that was the Moving Co quote or the final result. Probably the former.

As you say, 17 years at 3% inflation per year is a multiplier of 1.65.

Hank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island