Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 03:08 AM

376 posts, read 490,703 times

Advertisements

I am on the mainland and even using many online tools it is nearly impossible to get the real scoop on/in this area. The larger papers only discuss this area when the topics include: crime and gays moving in (so it seems). I want to know the real deal. I want to know if this area has even a small local newspaper or website that tells the goings on in the area. I am interested in the area from Hilo to Puna. (I have land in Nanawale Estates and have no one to keep me informed about my area.) I know no one in the area except for those I chat with here. I have heard that since many gays have moved to the area they have created businesses and thereby potential job opportunities. Is this the case? Just fyi, I love gays. I am not gay, but have had many friends over the years that are and they are some of the best people I have ever known. Any and all information will be very much appreciated. Thanks, Julie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 02:37 PM

18 posts, read 140,373 times
I think a lot of the gay emphasis that the major newspaper stories wrote up was somewhat exaggerated. I have lived near Pahoa for over three years and I have not seen a great increase in either the gay population or gay oriented businesses. That said, there is growth in the Pahoa, with the new shopping center, which is mainly things like Subway Sandwich, SuperCuts, Lex Brodie tires, Pizza Hawaii, and so on. There is a very diverse group of people in the area, but if I had to pick at random the typical new residents of this area, that I have met in the last three years, it would be a middle-aged couple that just cashed out ,sold everything on the mainland and moved here to retire or just work part-time.
Most of the residents of the Pahoa area that are working full-time , still commute to Hilo everday.
bill

Old 05-29-2007, 05:31 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,600,055 times
Aloha Julie, there is a newspaper in Pahoa- Puna News, and there is http//www.punaweb.org online that has a local forum.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:15 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,910 times
Default There's Hunter Bishops Blog...

There's also a blog by a former Hawai'i Tribune-Herald reporter that provides some interesting tidbits about Puna and occasionally Pahoa.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:34 PM

59 posts, read 312,088 times
Julie,

Exactly what info. are you needing ?

Before we moved here, and we are gay, I did a great deal of research on Punaweb / Punatalk. The forum there, used *mostly* by locals, discusses every topic you could think of.

Yes, gays have moved in , but not exactly in the numbers that many newspapers would have you believe.

Picture Puna being a county on the mainland, with very limited shopping/job opportunities, and most individuals travel to the city, Hilo, to shop and work.

Unfortunately, even for us locals, important news / updates/ etc. is hard to come by.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:12 AM

376 posts, read 490,703 times
I have heard about puna news but their website has not been updated for the past 3 years. I have also gone online to the punaweb, but it is not an updated site. It gives plenty of good info, do not get me wrong, but not a true newspaper. I have also found the hunter bishop blog (been at this some time). But again, I would love to have a newspaper in hand. If you think of anything else, for example the hilo paper having a section on Puna (like our phoenix paper having a section weekly on my area of town) although who is kidding, this is a big city and we have tons of papers in nearly all neighborhoods. Thanks for your ears and if you think of anything else, let me know.
OH, to Leilaniguy, I did finally find the pictures of my lot, so if you want to see them, let me know. Thanks again, Julie

Old 05-30-2007, 11:40 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genxor View Post
Unfortunately, even for us locals, important news / updates/ etc. is hard to come by.
Actually, we get most of our news in Puna by "talking story." The cashiers at 7-Eleven, the guys that work at Lex Brodie's, the servers at Luquin's, the dude with the dreads in tye-dyed T-Shirt selling incense on the side of the road, the folks that work at Pahoa Realty, the folks that hang out at Aloha Outpost, the cops that buy laulau from Malama Market, neighbors out jogging or walking their dogs, all are sources for obtaining news and updates about what's going on in Pahoa and Puna in general. When properly connected, the "coconut wireless" is pretty efficient and you'll often find out what's going on in Hilo and Puna before it hits the newspapers (even when you're thousands of miles away from Hawai'i).

Old 05-30-2007, 03:42 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,600,055 times
Julie, the Punaweb main page doesn't ever change much, but if you click on the "Punaweb forum" link near the top middle of the page, you'll find 4 forums of new postings every day. Questions, answers, opinions, rants, etc. Glad you got pictures, the shutter in my cam. is stuck, cinders probably.

Last edited by leilaniguy; 05-30-2007 at 05:12 PM..

Old 05-31-2007, 12:30 AM

59 posts, read 312,088 times
How true Jonah !

I'm with you on the rest, but people with dreads and tye-dyed t-shirts scare me . So they can keep their information.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:18 PM

118 posts, read 672,166 times
Default Paddywagons perusing for Puna scoop

Hello everybody,

I have been learning so much from this forum, I feel like I'm mutating into a Punafly without ever even been there!

Keep this up and you'd better start a newspaper yourselves, it would be a best-seller. Have you guys ever thought about publishing an online newsletter? You could probably get sponsering from so many of your commercial interests, because let me put my 2 cents in: you are the only place I have been able to get the really REAL news from! I love you guys and all you do for the community, it's brilliant and I really hope to meet some of you someday.

THANK YOU!!

Patrick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island