Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 04:44 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times

Advertisements

I dunno, if you had a family and a yurt and the kids were driving you crazy, you could return the favor and tell them you left a dollar in the corner and it's theirs if they can find it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 10:20 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,302,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I dunno, if you had a family and a yurt and the kids were driving you crazy, you could return the favor and tell them you left a dollar in the corner and it's theirs if they can find it.

Somehow I missed this post, hotzcatz...that's the best laugh I've had today. (It's been a long week and I've been spending too much time perusing the C-D 2008 Election forum, I think --can't wait til Tuesday, Nov 4 is over!)

Old 09-24-2010, 11:02 AM

4 posts, read 35,860 times
Default Humidity in Hawaii

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to comment that I have lived in both Florida and Hawaii (I currently live in Hilo) and I have never felt a day in Hawaii that even remotely approached Florida's humidity. There are muggy and humid days. But anyone from Florida won't even notice them. And since a double wide is a Florida mansion, and many of them have been standing for decades without a problem, I doubt that Hawaii's humidity would have much effect.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:44 PM

103 posts, read 95,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDESMAS View Post
We are also hoping to retire on the Big Island, and would like information on pre-fabs. No luck so far. Would appreciate any info. you get, and are willing to share. Mahalo!
Any pre-fab mansions on the market??

Old 10-08-2010, 10:18 PM

90 posts, read 279,710 times
You'd probably be surprised what you can do with a yurt. You can connect them to make multiple rooms, you can build them to be two story... the largest yurt we've done to date is 2300 square feet and has 4 bedrooms, two bathrooms and is absolutely stunning. I have heard plenty of people say that their preferred way of building is equal to a yurt, but I have certainly not seen it yet. When you calculate time, materials and permits... I haven't seen anyone come close to building for what we've been able to do it for with a yurt.

Old 09-14-2019, 10:31 AM

1 posts, read 978 times
Default Manawai was right! Mobile home parks are illegal in Hawaii.

This no mobile homes for sale you can read more about it here
[url]https://www.grassrootinstitute.org/2016/06/why-are-there-no-mobile-home-parks-in-hawaii/[/url]

I found this out in my search for one. The construction industry fears it would lose its Monopoly so instead we have poorly constructed shacks for those who can't afford overpriced homes. This is not right.

Old 09-14-2019, 01:43 PM

No real data in that link. They just say they're illegal (which technically they aren't, it's just that there aren't any mobile homes which meet the requirements) and the link doesn't give any details other than the assertion that mobile homes are illegal.

We used to have sugar plantation housing, which was little houses on tiny lots. At one time, the little houses were picked up and moved to follow the harvest. When sugar went down, the County made some specific laws to allow the plantation houses to become legal, mostly because of the smaller sized lots. Those laws don't cover new houses, though.

Old 09-14-2019, 02:27 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Mobile homes are essentially illegal by the building code as they don’t meet size requirements. I’ve posted the relevant code before but don’t have time to look it up.

Old 09-14-2019, 06:57 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
Not an endorsement, just passing this on. Based on description below they are building these "mobile homes" in Keaau:

https://www.hpmhawaii.com/haleplus

COMING TO THE BIG ISLAND
AVAILABLE 2020

FAQS
1. Why HalePlus?

At HPM, we’re on a mission to help our community build better. HalePlus is a new and innovative project, designed to make an impact on housing on Hawaii Island, creating truly affordable homes that are attainable for all. These dynamic homes are expandable, locally made, factory built, modular, transportable and can generally be built for less than $100,000 for a base model, saving a homeowner up to 40% compared with traditional building processes.

2. Are HalePlus homes modular?

HalePlus goes beyond modular. Even after your home is built it can grow with your family’s changing needs, adding modules like an expanded kitchen, a bigger bathroom, an extra bedroom or home office, or additional storage space.

3. How are HalePlus homes constructed?

HalePlus homes are pre-assembled in modules using wall panels, trusses and other quality building materials at HPM’s manufacturing facility in Keaau. The modules are transported and installed at the build site by a licensed General Contractor.

4. How big are HalePlus homes?

HalePlus homes are uniquely designed so you’ll always have just the right size home for your current needs. There will be a selection of HalePlus homes available, with the smallest one bedroom unit starting at approximately 600 square feet. The homes can be expanded with several optional configurations.

5. How long will it take for a HalePlus Home to be built?

A HalePlus homebuyer will be able to take delivery of a pre-approved base model (one bedroom, one bathroom) within three months of the manufacturing start date, with the option to add on other modules up front or in the future. This is one of the fastest ways to build a home in Hawaii because of the factory built process.

6. Do I need to get a building permit for these homes?

Yes, but HalePlus homes will be pre-approved by the County of Hawaii, which makes the building permit process faster. Securing a permit also allows you to apply for bank financing and home insurance.

7. When will HalePlus homes be available?

We anticipate accepting deposits in 2020. Please fill out the form on this page to stay updated on floor plans, renderings and other releases!

Old 09-15-2019, 03:50 AM

I think the code allows a 320 square foot 'efficiency dwelling' which is smaller than most trailers. Most of the cost of that would be in the infrastructure and not the dwelling itself. You've basically got the same costs for buying the land, the power drop, the septic, the driveway, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island