Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 05:18 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
they scream because they miss their owners AND are all "like wild and stuff"
the scream is a wild instincutal behaviour to call their "flock"...when in captivity the human becomes the flock...so instinct dictates that they would scream when they want your attention...

humans then get furstrated because that natural behaviour is undesirable and make the mistake of comming to "yell" back at the bird to get it to stop...the bird thinks your communicating back because your yelling AND says hey wait i screamed they came back...hence "spoiling" the bird positive reinforcment for a negatvie behaviour.

since these are inteligent fairly wild animals we will never completly destroy the need to call their flock in wuch ways...but they are intleient enough that we can modify those behaviours to a more desirable one...

for example jack jack used to scream when i left the room, the scream was his instinctual methofd of telling me to come back...
i didnt want him to stop calling for me its a natural instinctual behaviour, but i didnt like the scream...so instead id wait for him to make a more desireable noise then come back into the room and communicate with him...
he quickly learnt to replace the instinctual flock call with a different kind of sound...the reason being the same (to call me back) but the sound being more desirable to me...so no instead of screaming because he wants my attention...he tells me "whered you go" or "come back" of "look" i try to always respond when i hear these things to reinforce his instinct to flock call but using this much more desirable method.
My Amazon has a special three-note whistle that is his "name" for me. He'll chatter it at normal volume when he's giving me something or wants me to pay attention to him, and he'll warble it if I leave the room. If I ignore him, he'll change his tone, eventually sounding frustrated and/or a bit distressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 05:21 PM

This is Jellybean, a teeny female budgie:

And here's my Amazon, Theo:

Old 12-15-2012, 06:41 PM

484 posts, read 822,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
This is Jellybean, a teeny female budgie:

And here's my Amazon, Theo:
Is your budgie all green? Looks like very unique and pretty coloring!

Old 12-15-2012, 06:56 PM

She is a light green/yellow mix over most of her body with a very bright yellow head and tail. I haven't seen many budgies colored like her, definitely unique and such a little doll on top of it!

Old 12-17-2012, 04:42 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,854,114 times
shes a prety little budgie! id love some english budgies in the future.
i just added a pair of parrotlets to the family though, sky a blue male and sunny a yellow female.
so thats a sevee macaw, a pair of linnies and a pair of p-let.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
shes a prety little budgie! id love some english budgies in the future.
i just added a pair of parrotlets to the family though, sky a blue male and sunny a yellow female.
so thats a sevee macaw, a pair of linnies and a pair of p-let.
I have to say, this little budgie girl has captured my heart! She is such a little cutie, and a total sweetheart who, after about a week and a half now, will happily sit on my fingers and shoulder, eat from my hands, will snuggle up to me, and loves to be nuzzled and kissed Too, too cute.

Here she is evidently approving of my Ben Sherman tie:

Here is Theo gasping with excitement when I introduced him to Jellybean on the first night:

Old 12-22-2012, 06:50 PM

563 posts, read 955,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I have to say, this little budgie girl has captured my heart! She is such a little cutie, and a total sweetheart who, after about a week and a half now, will happily sit on my fingers and shoulder, eat from my hands, will snuggle up to me, and loves to be nuzzled and kissed Too, too cute.

Here she is evidently approving of my Ben Sherman tie:

Here is Theo gasping with excitement when I introduced him to Jellybean on the first night:
Very cute budgie!

Old 12-25-2012, 04:48 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,174,182 times
I share my life with Lucy, a 12 year-old Timneh African Grey we've had since she was a baby. My wife did all the research and found the breeder and really, really wanted a parrot - but of course, Lucy chose to bond with me. (I'm a dog/cat person. Or so I thought.)

Anyway. She's a treasured member of the family.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:17 PM

30 posts, read 19,234 times
For right now, I have one Lutino Cockatiel named Tulip. I'd love to have many more!
Yet, I believe more than one would provoke complaints from my apartment neighbors

Old 01-15-2013, 08:43 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,946,913 times
Our little conure talks up a storm and feels very comfy in a hot tub room while listening to Simon and Garfunkel music ! Our dog is laying down directly below her but not shown in this photograph.
I am in the hot tub while taking this photo.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds