Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 04:55 AM

3,422 posts, read 1,836,591 times

Advertisements

Just fed my birds.

Another thing to remember, about birds on a porch etc, is that, as far as I know, birds do like humidity, and there should be plenty of that in natural outside air..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 03:08 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticSuperman View Post
Exactly. And that is why I elect not to put a night blanket over the cage.
Well, if you are active in the same room where your birds live long after dark every evening with lights, noise, TV, and/or computers in use, your birds are going to be sleep-deprived. Birds are slaves to light and commotion.

I have a large bird aviary. The only room it will fit in is the living room where all the activity/entertainment goes on. To provide them with some semblance of regular daylight cycles I have dark colored camo fabric curtains on all sides of it. I can adjust the curtains as necessary and by time of year.

Old 07-27-2020, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Just fed my birds.

Another thing to remember, about birds on a porch etc, is that, as far as I know, birds do like humidity, and there should be plenty of that in natural outside air..
Its obviously going to depend on where you happen to live! AZ, NM, NV, eastern CA, west TX, etc. not much there.

Old 07-27-2020, 03:58 PM

3,422 posts, read 1,836,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Well, if you are active in the same room where your birds live long after dark every evening with lights, noise, TV, and/or computers in use, your birds are going to be sleep-deprived. Birds are slaves to light and commotion.

I have a large bird aviary. The only room it will fit in is the living room where all the activity/entertainment goes on. To provide them with some semblance of regular daylight cycles I have dark colored camo fabric curtains on all sides of it. I can adjust the curtains as necessary and by time of year.
Well I am happy to tell you that the lights go out and the TV off and then the two humans.. they don't get the "night terrors" or woken up at night, the vast majority of nights. I know they are sensitive to movements in the dark.

Old 07-27-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Well I am happy to tell you that the lights go out and the TV off and then the two humans.. they don't get the "night terrors" or woken up at night, the vast majority of nights. I know they are sensitive to movements in the dark.
Of course...but at what hour do all the lights go off? I bet its not right at sunset when the birds would normally roost. They can end up being kept awake for much longer every day than they would in the wild. Consider the typical human household...up at 5, 6 am or so, then daylight all day, plus more activity at night until after 9 pm or later. 15, 16 or more hours of stimulation for the birds. Most cage birds do best with approximately 12 hours of darkness. Human households don't always provide that which is one reason cage covers exist.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-27-2020 at 05:31 PM..

Old 09-11-2020, 04:21 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
We bring our birds out sometimes when the weather is warm. Our Sulfur crested cockatoo Sophie does not care. The only thing she cares about is being as close to me as possible. Inside, outside= all irrelevant If I am nearby and looking at her she is happy. If she is on me, she is happier. If I am petting her, she is in heaven. If I am not petting her, her only focus is trying to get closer to me so I will pet her. She really does not seem to know whether she is inside or outside. Nothing makes any different to her. If she is left alone outside, she will shriek incessantly until she can see me, but she often does that inside too. At least for a while.

Percy our African grey sometimes gets a little uncomfortable outside. There are so many possible directions a threat could come from, it is so open. Sometimes she is clearly happy outside and other times stressed out. She usually gets stressed out out side if she cannot see me but sometimes she is quite content to sit alone in her outside cage and enjoy the sun.

My lifetime buddy Orville (another Sulfur) loved being outside. He liked to hop around in the grass and loved to be sprayed with a hose. He loved going for walks and on car rides. He only had a stub of a wing on one side, so he could not fly. Orville died of cancer after thirty years, it had nothing to do with being outside. He had a small cage for sitting on the porch and a perch for sitting next to the pool when we were swimming. If he was alone in his outside cage, he sometimes got uncomfortable and would let me know. Usually he liked being out there.

We have two outside cages that hang on big metal shepherds hooks two porch cages (normal cages, they just sit on the porch, and a perch (no longer used). Whether they like one or either depends on the day. Some days they like both being outside together, other days they compete to see who can make the most stressed out noises. Some days they only like being outside if they are alone. It depends on the day.

In the past we have had a number of cockatiels, a small bright green parrot, parakeets, love birds canaries, finches, a parrotlet, long term babysitting a military macaw, cockatoos, a few weeks with a double yellow headed amazon until we found her owner (she was lost outside) . . . .

Some cannot ever go outside (Canaries - mosquitoes can kill them), some lived outside (finches), the rest loved or hated it outside depending on the bird and the day. We only lost one bird from being outside a cockatiel who got out and flew away while we were moving to a new house. We had another cockatiel get out once and fly off into a tree for a while, but we coaxed her back. We found one bird outside and eventually returned her to her owners. Our finches once got attacked by ants and several were killed, so I guess that would not have happened if their aviary was inside.

We are currently planning an indoor/outdoor finch aviary where they can go through a pipe to get outside during the warm season. It will be interesting to see which they prefer.

All need to be acclimated to avoid stressing them out. At first they should be near you or held by you if they enjoy that and only go out for a very short time. After a few dozen times, they will either start to enjoy being out or not.

Oh our chickens also live outside. They sometimes try to get into the house, but are not comfortable inside. We have lost a number of chickens from being outside (raccoons, mink, stoats, foxes, hawks, owl, coyote). Raccoons are the worst. They do not eat them but think it is fun to pull their heads off. They will kill all of them if they can.

Old 09-17-2020, 09:10 AM

28 posts, read 6,253 times
Ya usually chickens and such do prefer outside but I have seen some prefer to be in also.....

I think a parakeet would love an outdoor porch

Old 06-13-2021, 05:04 AM

320 posts, read 279,697 times
COOPERS HAWKS got my daughter's friends parakeet. nothing left but bits and pieces.

the hawk did NOT open the cage. the cage on a stand was in a screened porch area - but it was open door. pretty bird suffered a horrific end

Old 06-14-2021, 06:13 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
birds are meant to fly free,it is very cruel to keep them indoor,or pretend to be outdoor in a cage .
Would you want someone to keep you in a cage ?

Old 06-14-2021, 08:00 PM

6,471 posts, read 10,332,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
birds are meant to fly free,it is very cruel to keep them indoor,or pretend to be outdoor in a cage .
Would you want someone to keep you in a cage ?
That statement is garbage. Leaving a bird outdoors without a cage would be a certain death sentence. Parrots are no longer imported and that is a good thing for the birds in the wild. However, domesticated birds are not properly acclimated to a wild environment and stand little chance of survival in the long run. You have watched too many Disney films where some of the main characters are birds.

Next you will tell the community that nobody should have a pet dog, cat, fish or whatever in their house and they should roam wild as well.

Last edited by dontaskwhy; 06-14-2021 at 08:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds