Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2016, 01:46 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,483,890 times

Advertisements

It's nice to see the Summit revamp itself, but valuable retailers like Old Navy should relocate within reasonable distance of this location. It's very weird how the US 280 corridor has yet to fully evolve and redevelop in existing shopping areas. As a matter of fact, Old Navy should reopen either in the Colonnade or the new proposed Bayer Properties development across from the Summit.

Furthermore, I love for Bayers to redevelop the Summit by pushing the storefronts closer to Summit Boulevard and creating a "Main Street" feel to the center. They surely could take a note from developments like Easton Town Center in Columbus (Ohio) or Peninsula Town Center in Hampton (Virginia). The possibilities are limitless if Bayer utilize this prime real estate location while maximizing its overall scale and appeal to more upscale retailers. The Summit redevelopment into an urban town center could essentially be the turning point of this portion of the US 280 corridor from a commercial/office strip to 2nd central business district that is definitely needed in the metro area.

Especially, since Hoover missed that chance years ago when they turned down the offer by the RPCGB for a master plan to make Montgomery Highway between I-65 and the Cahaba River into its premiere Main Street and the 2nd CBD with Riverchase Galleria as its anchor.

Last edited by jero23; 07-24-2016 at 02:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 07:03 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
I think Vestavia still has designs to redevelop their side of the 65/31 interchange and turn it into gleaming office towers and a business park as well has give an arcade/boulevard look to the 31 corridor but it all seems pie in the sky and virtually impossible to do considering all the business already there. Same for Hoover's side...just too developed. 280/459 already has that edge city starter kit look because it does have small towers already mixed in with the shopping centers along with the hospital and medial buildings and hotels. Now that all of or the majority of those buildings are being utilized again maybe Bayers plans will include another office building...maybe a luxury hotel...to go along with whatever else they put there.

I am intrigued by wether the Summit will do something drastic with its current property or treat the new property as a canvas for a new vision of the Summit or like they seem to have hinted in the press release...go in a different direction with a collection of businesses that dont quite fit the Summit branding. Either way will probably open the door for stores and attractions Alabama doesnt have yet.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I think Vestavia still has designs to redevelop their side of the 65/31 interchange and turn it into gleaming office towers and a business park as well has give an arcade/boulevard look to the 31 corridor but it all seems pie in the sky and virtually impossible to do considering all the business already there. Same for Hoover's side...just too developed. 280/459 already has that edge city starter kit look because it does have small towers already mixed in with the shopping centers along with the hospital and medial buildings and hotels. Now that all of or the majority of those buildings are being utilized again maybe Bayers plans will include another office building...maybe a luxury hotel...to go along with whatever else they put there.

I am intrigued by wether the Summit will do something drastic with its current property or treat the new property as a canvas for a new vision of the Summit or like they seem to have hinted in the press release...go in a different direction with a collection of businesses that dont quite fit the Summit branding. Either way will probably open the door for stores and attractions Alabama doesnt have yet.
Well, they should, but it should be smart growth and on the pedestrian-scale. The idea behind a 2nd central business district type of edge city would be emulate what other cities with multinodal centers do and that is become more multimodal designed development, walkable, and limit the access multiple curb cuts along major corridors. Essentially make US 280 itself into a limited access expressway with interchanges from Red Mountain Express to Chelsea while building up a mixed use development around the major developments like the Summit and its companion that is in development.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:25 AM

Oh i only meant what they will specifically do to the At&t property and what other developers will respond with in the immediate area. Theres more to be done with perimeter park, the colonnade and patchwork farms. I dont think there are plans to or anything that can be done with the rest of 280 as it sits. It is like 31 in Hoover and Vestavia. No way to make it limited access or increase foot traffic any more than they did already when they put in the michigan lefts.

The only hope now is to widen and build new roads like the joint venture to make a better grants mill road.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:47 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,769,052 times
Quote:
Thanks. Wasn't sure. The store at the Summit was still nice and well shopped from what I could tell. But Summit told them to pack their ish and bounce.
Will that store relocate?

Old 07-24-2016, 08:14 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,335,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Will that store relocate?

It is possible but they don't usually divulge that until it is a fact. (as when Wildwood closed and Galleria opened)

Bayer manages several other centers along US280 and could have indeed made this a relocation package deal. (Old Navy was at the end of their twenty year lease) As Tourian mentioned, I could see them at the Colonnade (being redeveloped by a new owner) but more likely at Riverview Center where Bayer located Nordstrom Rack a few years ago.

It could also find a home at Tattersall Park which is presently under development. In other words, if they want a store on US280 there are at least five good locations, not even counting the Summit expansion location.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Oh i only meant what they will specifically do to the At&t property and what other developers will respond with in the immediate area. Theres more to be done with perimeter park, the colonnade and patchwork farms. I dont think there are plans to or anything that can be done with the rest of 280 as it sits. It is like 31 in Hoover and Vestavia. No way to make it limited access or increase foot traffic any more than they did already when they put in the michigan lefts.

The only hope now is to widen and build new roads like the joint venture to make a better grants mill road.
ALDOT could go through the process of making US 280 limited access because in NCDOT is doing the same with Independence Boulevard (US 74) in Charlotte all the way to Monroe in Union County. US 74 in Charlotte is much more congested and developed than US 280 and they are still going forward with the project. It might be a temporary headache for everyone but it will a long-term solution to this problem. ALDOT is just be lead by the right people whom are willing to do what needs to be done with US 280 because it will get worse.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
ALDOT could go through the process of making US 280 limited access because in NCDOT is doing the same with Independence Boulevard (US 74) in Charlotte all the way to Monroe in Union County. US 74 in Charlotte is much more congested and developed than US 280 and they are still going forward with the project. It might be a temporary headache for everyone but it will a long-term solution to this problem. ALDOT is just be lead by the right people whom are willing to do what needs to be done with US 280 because it will get worse.
I get what you're saying, it is just that I don't think anything like that is in the cards right now. They are planning a new 280/459 interchange though. On the federal level ALDOT has their hands full with the 22/31 interchange, 20/59 bridges and 422. On the local highway front they need to do something with 52 at the tank farms exit so Pelham can finally develop their exit and stop dreaming about Alabaster's Promenade exit. And they need to widen 261 and Morgan Rd. and... well you get the picture.

The point is I think it will be a while before 280s number comes up again for something major like that.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:18 AM

Avondale lands a first to Alabama location for a retailer.

Closets by Design opening first Alabama store in Avondale - Birmingham Business Journal

Quote:
A closet organization and remodeling store is opening its first Alabama location in Avondale later this month.
Closets by Design, a home organization chain with locations around the country, will open a 10,000-square-foot store at 3806 N. First Ave.

The store specializes in designing and installing custom organization options for closets, garage cabinets, home offices and other home organization systems. It will begin taking consulting appointments the week of Aug. 15 for residents in Birmingham, Tuscaloosa and Anniston.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:07 PM

2,445 posts, read 2,228,735 times
3806 N. First Avenue? As in 3806 1st Ave North?

Had to Google Maps that one... seems like an odd location. I wonder if that address is correct. When is the last time anything located to 1st Ave North?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area