Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 06:58 AM

52 posts, read 173,598 times

Advertisements

Birmingham seems to be losing population and isn't on most peoples radar as an. Up and coming southern city. Places like Charlotte-the queen city Nashville Tennessee and even within the state huntsville has grown tremendously. So what has happened to the economy and integrity of the region? Why is Alabama but Birmingham specifically on the decline while other areas are flourishing?

Old 03-04-2011, 07:49 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,879,061 times
It beings and ends with leadership, and the people who vote them in. A seven percent growth rate for the metro isnt something to throw a party over, and in reality its pretty pathetic. The South as a region has been the fastest growing in terms of population this past decade, but somehow Birmingham and Alabama missed the boat. The people of Charlotte and North Carolina are willing to work towards massive economic and population growth, why cant we do the same?.

At the end of the day its a question of do we want to remain in the same tier as Charlotte, Nashville, Tampa, Orlando, New Orleans, or gasp Atlanta OR are we willing to fall to the same tier as Jackson, Little Rock, Lexington, Montgomery, Columbus, Augusta.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:20 AM

562 posts, read 1,126,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
It beings and ends with leadership, and the people who vote them in. A seven percent growth rate for the metro isnt something to throw a party over, and in reality its pretty pathetic. The South as a region has been the fastest growing in terms of population this past decade, but somehow Birmingham and Alabama missed the boat. The people of Charlotte and North Carolina are willing to work towards massive economic and population growth, why cant we do the same?.

At the end of the day its a question of do we want to remain in the same tier as Charlotte, Nashville, Tampa, Orlando, New Orleans, or gasp Atlanta OR are we willing to fall to the same tier as Jackson, Little Rock, Lexington, Montgomery, Columbus, Augusta.
Honestly, I no longer see BHM being in the same tier as the cities that you mentioned. All of those cities with the exception of Orlando have at least two professional sports franchises. With the exception of New Orleans because of Katrina, most all of them have experienced double digit growth over the last 20-30 years. I see BHM being more in line with Louisville, Greensboro, Norfolk, but ahead of the cities like Jackson, Little Rock Montgomery, Columbus, etc..

The images of BHM from the civil rights era of the 1950's and 60's have, and in some cases play a role in the slow growth of the area.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:04 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,602,342 times
Interesting that the rating of a city is based on professional sports franchises.
By that measure, the city I was largely raised in, the largest city in the San Fransisco Bay Area and with a booming tech industry, would score very low. It had no professional franchises until the 90's, and then it was a *scoff* hockey team. Boy what a loser of a city.

I think its useful to look at other cities for ideas and planning, but constant comparisons and rankings is largely fruitless. Also, pursuing growth for the sake of growth with no though of the sustainability of it or what that actually means to the area is also pointless. Personally, I would like to see Birmingham city population stop declining, and eventually regrowing in at least certain areas. But equally if not more important, is the manner of growth both within and outside Bham, rather than simply "its growing" or "not growing". Remember what the purpose of even looking at growth is. It is meaningless for its own sake.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:26 PM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRS86 View Post
The images of BHM from the civil rights era of the 1950's and 60's have, and in some cases play a role in the slow growth of the area.

^^^ This could be a factor but it is an ignorant one.It was the 60`s come on !!!!

Old 03-04-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Honestly, I no longer see BHM being in the same tier as the cities that you mentioned. All of those cities with the exception of Orlando have at least two professional sports franchises. With the exception of New Orleans because of Katrina, most all of them have experienced double digit growth over the last 20-30 years. I see BHM being more in line with Louisville, Greensboro, Norfolk, but ahead of the cities like Jackson, Little Rock Montgomery, Columbus, etc..

Its was my mistake. I ment for it be either/or.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
Interesting that the rating of a city is based on professional sports franchises.
By that measure, the city I was largely raised in, the largest city in the San Fransisco Bay Area and with a booming tech industry, would score very low. It had no professional franchises until the 90's, and then it was a *scoff* hockey team. Boy what a loser of a city.

I think its useful to look at other cities for ideas and planning, but constant comparisons and rankings is largely fruitless. Also, pursuing growth for the sake of growth with no though of the sustainability of it or what that actually means to the area is also pointless. Personally, I would like to see Birmingham city population stop declining, and eventually regrowing in at least certain areas. But equally if not more important, is the manner of growth both within and outside Bham, rather than simply "its growing" or "not growing". Remember what the purpose of even looking at growth is. It is meaningless for its own sake.
I think we can have a smart, 20%+ growth rate per decade to prevent a sprawling mess. Im not saying that we need to be a copy of a Charlotte or Tampa, but we can take the good ideas of these metros and implement them here. Charlotte grew 35% last decade, what is so bad about that?.

Last edited by sleepless in Bham; 03-04-2011 at 01:25 PM..

Old 03-04-2011, 01:20 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
All of those cities with the exception of Orlando have at least two professional sports franchises.
Hmmm, so I guess Austin, San Jose and Columbus, OH must be chopped liver according to you as well? I consider sports teams icing, however Birmingham has some good meat and potatoes projects going on to produce growth.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Hmmm, so I guess Austin, San Jose and Columbus, OH must be chopped liver according to you as well? I consider sports teams icing, however Birmingham has some good meat and potatoes projects going on to produce growth.
San Jose and Columbus both have NHL franchises.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:45 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
San Jose and Columbus both have NHL franchises.
Hockey means nothing to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area