Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2012, 05:33 AM

177 posts, read 487,040 times

Advertisements

Okay, I have been browsing several southern cities for potential places to live, and I am never going to get everything I want, so I decided to make a list of things that appeal to me and ask people what cities in the south they think are best in each category, even if not in the state I'm posting in -- I'm hoping you all have been able to partake of what's good in other cities near you. Let me say I am not interested in Texas (where I am now) so we can just cross that off the list (sorry Texas, nothing personal) Also note schools are irrelevant as I do not have kids and won't be having them...except the furry kind. Also I'm of cougarish age demographic and single and am an urbanized redneck ;-)

1. Cheapest cost of living in or NEAR a major metropolitan area (within an hour drive)
2. Best restaurants/foodie scene
3. Best art scene, without the cliquey snobbery
4. Most authentic southern vibe however you define it
5. Best music scene - local (open to many genres, including rock, punk, blues and country or Americana)
6. Best music scene national, as far as artists coming through for country music (besides Nashville, which is pretty much a no-brainer)
7. Best sense of community
8. Outdoorsy sports opportunities
9. Least humid and prone to hurricanes ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 10:13 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,803,734 times
Just taking a stab, maybe NE of ATL on I-85. Short drive from everything ATL has to offer, Athens is a great college town with a big music scene. Lots of outdoors recreational opportunity in NGa/East TN/West NC region.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:50 PM

256 posts, read 605,541 times
I'd say, based on the whole, Louisville or Nashville or Durham sound most fitting.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:20 AM

177 posts, read 487,040 times
I appreciate the input, but seriously, I'm really looking for a breakdown on the list, as changes in circumstances before making a decision may change how much I weigh different factors

Old 01-17-2012, 10:38 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,711,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmi11 View Post
I am new here. HAPPY NEW YEAR

Welcome, have fun.........

Old 01-19-2012, 03:07 PM

234 posts, read 708,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroPhoto View Post
Okay, I have been browsing several southern cities for potential places to live, and I am never going to get everything I want, so I decided to make a list of things that appeal to me and ask people what cities in the south they think are best in each category, even if not in the state I'm posting in -- I'm hoping you all have been able to partake of what's good in other cities near you. Let me say I am not interested in Texas (where I am now) so we can just cross that off the list (sorry Texas, nothing personal) Also note schools are irrelevant as I do not have kids and won't be having them...except the furry kind. Also I'm of cougarish age demographic and single and am an urbanized redneck ;-)

1. Cheapest cost of living in or NEAR a major metropolitan area (within an hour drive)
5. Best music scene - local (open to many genres, including rock, punk, blues and country or Americana)
6. Best music scene national, as far as artists coming through for country music (besides Nashville, which is pretty much a no-brainer)
I'll go down your list and attach a few cities that qualify.

1) Cheapest cost of living: Birmingham easily has the cheapest cost of leaving among major southern metros (the ones in the US top 50).

2) Restaurants/foodie: Miami, Birmingham, Memphis, Atlanta, New Orleans are easily the top large metros in this category

3) Best art scene: New Orleans, Atlanta, Miami are probably the best there.

4) Southern vibe: Birmingham, Memphis, Nashville, New Orleans, Jacksonville

5) Music: Nashville, Memphis, New Orleans, Atlanta

6) National country attraction: Birmingham, New Orleans, Memphis

7) Sense of community: Birmingham, New Orleans

8) Outdoorsy: Birmingham, New Orleans (I'm assuming you mean things like hiking and going on walks)

9) There's really no where that fits least humid and prone to hurricanes. Though, the closest you'll get is probably Nashville.

I think Birmingham would be a good fit for you. Either Birmingham, Nashville, or New Orleans would work well. Bham is very much an urbanized redneck town; much more of a honky tonk town than a rock, punk, or rap city.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,004 times
Cool Did you move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroPhoto View Post

Hey there, RetroPhoto - Did you ever move down south? If so, where did you go?

I'm looking at moving. I live in Boston right now and it's too crowded, cold, into watching sports, and expensive for me. I'm looking at Birmingham and I'm wondering how the fit will be.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:30 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
Asheville NC would be the least humid, but you may not classify it as a "major metropolitan area." That really applies to only a handful of Southern cities.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:35 AM

17 posts, read 23,962 times
Charleston, SC ! They get hurricanes, but beats tornadoes cause you have plenty of warning. Best food town and great city with lots going on. Southern Charm for sure and people are Very nice! You have the beach and culture.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:36 AM

17 posts, read 23,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmh504metro View Post
Hey there, RetroPhoto - Did you ever move down south? If so, where did you go?

I'm looking at moving. I live in Boston right now and it's too crowded, cold, into watching sports, and expensive for me. I'm looking at Birmingham and I'm wondering how the fit will be.
They do not like people from the NE here (in general). I've been called a Yankee. You will miss the "real city" feel. JMHO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area