Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2012, 03:26 PM

10 posts, read 21,933 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to Birmingham in Sept. Will be making a trip the end of August for apartment search. Have searched the usual suspects- rent.com etc for possibilities.. Will be working at VA Hospital in downtown Birmingham. Not wanting to be surrounded by students but want to be close to nightclubs/live music venues- blues and jazz variety. Thoughts on the following areas? regarding apartment pricing and flavor of the neighborhood- Mountain Brook English Village area? Southside? 5 Points area? Highland Park/ Red Mountain? Thanks much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 05:41 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,412,676 times
"Not wanting to be surrounded by students but want to be close to nightclubs/live music venues"

You do realize how silly that sounds?

I wanna muscle car, but I want great gas mileage.
I wanna live in the city, but I want country views.
I wanna eat greasy pasta, but I want to be healthy.

B'ham is not that big, and if you don't drink and drive, there are lots of options.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:36 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,602,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
"Not wanting to be surrounded by students but want to be close to nightclubs/live music venues"
Its not silly if you live in places that aren't dominated by a University. I could easily point you to places that fit that description in SF, LA, etc... OF course students will be there, but not necessarily dominate like in bHam.

But for here, that really doesn't make much sense at all.
If you want to live near nightclubs, 5pts/Lakeview is probably where to be. But there will be students galore. Perhaps some clubs downtown might have more young professionals.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:15 PM

Yeah, University of SoBe didn't exist in Miami. In B'ham, those who dare to not be part of the conservative culture tend to band together. It makes for an interesting mix, compared to SF, LA, MIA, where the component groups start becoming lime jello, lemon jello, and orange jello, each in their own containers. In B'ham it is more like that Southern mix of jello, marshmallows, fruit and whatever.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

You do realize how silly that sounds?

I wanna muscle car, but I want great gas mileage.
I wanna live in the city, but I want country views.
I wanna eat greasy pasta, but I want to be healthy.

B'ham is not that big, and if you don't drink and drive, there are lots of options.

I realize that sounds a bit silly- I grew up in a town population 50,000- dominated by 3 colleges- and two major hospitals so the areas that catered to the student population were less than desirable regarding things like- parking, petty crime, and overall maintenance and condition of surrounding property. The reason for wanting to be close to music venues is that the fiance is a musician and will be looking for work in such places and he doesn't play small instruments- upright bass and tuba if you can believe it. I also would like to avoid if possible spending half my life stuck in traffic on the interstate regarding my commute to work as I'm the lucky gal with a 'real' job. (you know the old joke...what do you call a musician without a girlfriend? Homeless.) Thanks much.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:42 PM

Arlington Avenue is funny. It goes up at a steep enough angle that even though it is right near Southside, few students are interested in it, and it is WAY too much work for drug addicts. Metcalf Realty used to have some quiet apartments there. Be forewarned that the driveways are treacherous in winter.

Once you get to English Village, ka-ching$

That town you grew up in sounds like Burlington VT.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:27 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjblues View Post
I'm relocating to Birmingham in Sept. Will be making a trip the end of August for apartment search. Have searched the usual suspects- rent.com etc for possibilities.. Will be working at VA Hospital in downtown Birmingham. Not wanting to be surrounded by students but want to be close to nightclubs/live music venues- blues and jazz variety. Thoughts on the following areas? regarding apartment pricing and flavor of the neighborhood- Mountain Brook English Village area? Southside? 5 Points area? Highland Park/ Red Mountain? Thanks much!
All those areas will work. If Southside, Five Points is about as far west as you want to go to avoid students. Common sense, of course, will need to prevail.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:41 PM

Thanks much- I have lived in very large Metro areas...Philadelphia, San Diego, Memphis, Chicago...so totally understand the common sense aspect... Looking forward to physically scouting out the area the end of the month! And hopefully have a place lined up by the time I'm done!

Old 08-19-2012, 09:44 PM

That town you grew up in sounds like Burlington VT.[/quote]

Actually- La Crosse WI- known at one time in the Guinness book of world records for most bars on one street- and I think most bars per capita. UW-L has a major reputation as a 'party school'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area