Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 10:14 AM

154 posts, read 220,256 times

Advertisements

In last decade ago, Center Point, Huffman and Roebuck have problem with white flight and some portion of area, especially in apartments are deteriorated, but in houses, they are mostly ok to nice but big issue is low value.

Does any suburban cities will have big demographic change (such as white flight) and any portion of area are declining? I only think about Hoover - especially in old part with a lot of apartments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 10:32 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
I don't think any are declining per se just in a holding patten as the economy slowly gets back on track. There seems to be minor victories for each one we hear about every other week or so, just not at the pace we all got accustomed to. Maybe the easy target is Hoover with their announcement of discontinuing bus service but I think there's something else going on there other then just budget concerns.

I don't think of Huffman and Roebuck as seperate suburbs though and I believe Centerpoint was dumb to break away and incorporate. Just another tiny kingdom.

Last edited by Tourian; 07-20-2013 at 11:25 AM..

Old 07-20-2013, 11:15 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,289,448 times
I think Center Point's move was probably designed to preempt future annexation by Birmingham. Center Point itself is no garden spot, but it can at least hang on to the fact that it's not served by Birmingham schools.

Huffman and Roebuck are both in the Birmingham city limits. So they're not suburbs, technically, but areas, I guess.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:23 AM

Yeah I understand breaking away because of schools is on the surface a great reason but having the Birmingham Fire Dept having to stand by and watch your house burn down and only use their water in case an ember heads towards your neighbors yard because he is in the Bham city limits pretty much defeats the purpose IMO. I also don't think of Centerpoint schools being standard bearers. I think all these tiny burbs that are practically landlocked by Birmingham need to fold up and be reannexed. Unfortunately it'll probably take years and years of decay of value and civic services before they realize a stronger unified city is the best choice.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:17 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,880,049 times
I would add Hueytown to this list. For sale signs on almost every corner. Older people dying, no new retail, and an overbearing police dept in a place with little crime are the main reasons I seems to hear alot for the stagnation or decline.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I don't think any are declining per se just in a holding patten as the economy slowly gets back on track. There seems to be minor victories for each one we hear about every other week or so, just not at the pace we all got accustomed to. Maybe the easy target is Hoover with their announcement of discontinuing bus service but I think there's something else going on there other then just budget concerns.

I don't think of Huffman and Roebuck as seperate suburbs though and I believe Centerpoint was dumb to break away and incorporate. Just another tiny kingdom.
Yes, that's true about economy downturn and real estate crisis caused demographic to stabilize, however I originally thought Pinson and Clay have a big demographic change, just before economy crashed in 2007-2008 but went thwarted.

I heard about Hoover discontinued the bus service and I think they made bad choice - nearly 50% students need bus service. Hoover doesn't have efficient public transportation and it will be problem for over 6,000 students who relied on bus. It is best interest for Hoover to re-route the bus and remove any excessive routes. When I lived in NoVA, the public transportation was fairly good and have sidewalks in most area, but Hoover is on opposite - much less sidewalks, very little or no public transportation service.

I didn't know about Center Point was part of Birmingham. Yes, Huffman and Roebuck are part of Birmingham city limit but they are inner suburb feeling. I moved to Huffman about 20 years ago from NoVA so I was VERY SURPRISED about Huffman was very backward - poor public transportation coverage and no sidewalks in most area. It got worse when demographic change, especially in apartments and the houses lose a lot of value.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
I would add Hueytown to this list. For sale signs on almost every corner. Older people dying, no new retail, and an overbearing police dept in a place with little crime are the main reasons I seems to hear alot for the stagnation or decline.
Yes, I went to Hueytown before and it seems depressing area.

Jefferson County is dooming as Shelby County is growing, however neither of them, even entire of Alabama fit me.

I would prefer to live in Phoenix, AZ because of better public transportation and sidewalks in all area.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:12 PM

946 posts, read 776,366 times
All cities are going downhill or not growing because of lack of public transportation (even reasonably priced taxis) and heavy police surveillance on people trying to get from one place to another

In other words, can barely leave your house without getting pulled over by police tailing your vehicle with high tech scanners and computers that run your plates and everything about you in seconds. Most young people that like to be active and going, are moving to larger cities with public transportation.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:43 PM

340 posts, read 723,911 times
Huntsville

Huntsville Housing Authority -HUD neighborhood "diversity", Hud purchasing homes/apartments all over city (still ongoing over city)

Huntsville City School rezoning -forced school rezoning "diversity" in schools, close schools and bus students all over city (ongoing now)

Old 02-03-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
All cities are going downhill or not growing because of lack of public transportation (even reasonably priced taxis) and heavy police surveillance on people trying to get from one place to another

In other words, can barely leave your house without getting pulled over by police tailing your vehicle with high tech scanners and computers that run your plates and everything about you in seconds. Most young people that like to be active and going, are moving to larger cities with public transportation.
If you are getting pulled over by Police every time you leave your home then I think you need to take a look at your life and your actions.

All the attention is on downtown and the east so I can see how western suburbs like Hueytown and Pleasant Grove not have anything major happen. Bessemer seems to be doing okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area