Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2014, 09:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,780 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are both moving to UAB for medical school. I am looking for a place but am struggling to figure out what is "safe" and what isn't (all of downtown looks the same to me).
I would prefer to be able to walk/bike to class (Volker hall) but I would have no problem driving 10 minutes or less each day.
The budget is $900-$2000 +-
I think for this price range we can get a nice house or nice apartment.
A 2 bedroom is a minimum requirement since we will both need a room/office to study in. We like our space and would like something 1000 Sqft+. We will both be studying basically all day at home so we are looking for something that will be super professional and quiet (No drunk frat kids 24-7).

Any recommendations on what areas near UAB is safe? (My research shows that basically anything south of campus is safe [Mountain brook, Homewood] while north and west isn't)
Any recommendations on particular units we could look at near campus?

Thank you in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 06:04 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
All I can say about the units in particular is that you'll just have to visit them to determine if they have the professional vibe you are looking for. As far as the areas themselves you are right. Safety is generally not a concern downtown and to the south. The west is not recommended but there are some good areas to the north and the east like Norwood and Crestwood that may not be as popular with students that could give you the peace you are looking for and offer more bang for your buck.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:05 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
$900-$2000 will get you a really good range of options. If you There are a host of apartments/lofts in the downtown/midtown area within a matter of blocks of UAB. This area is pretty safe and is really beginning to blossom nicely. If you want a less urban setting, I would go a mile to the southeast and look at the area along both Highland and Clairmont Avenue. Really great neighborhoods. Easy to reach the UAB campus from both.

That being said, Tourian is right. The eyeball test is best.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:01 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,766,753 times
While there is certainly nothing wrong with Mountain Brook or Homewood, I would prefer living even closer to UAB's campus (walking distance). Consider Station 121, Bristol Southside (condos), Liv on 5th (condos), University House, and other apartments/lofts between the railroad tracks and 10th avenue south and between 14th and 22nd streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area