Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2018, 06:33 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
This makes a lot of sense to me. As online commerce has taken off, the need for X square feet of retail per 1,000 people has dropped. It only makes sense to replace some square footage that was previously devoted to shopping centers and the like to places where people can live that is still somewhat convenient and affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 06:41 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
This makes a lot of sense to me. As online commerce has taken off, the need for X square feet of retail per 1,000 people has dropped. It only makes sense to replace some square footage that was previously devoted to shopping centers and the like to places where people can live that is still somewhat convenient and affordable.

To build on your point, retail space was far overbuilt in this country even before Amazon came along. Retail space per capita is roughly 33% higher than Canada, 58% higher than Australia, and 125% greater than European countries such as the UK and Germany.

Old 08-29-2018, 10:24 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,485,338 times
Word is that former Century Plaza property will become a mixed use office/commercial development with the redevelopment. Included in the redo will be coworking spaces that will house a business incubator for business startups as well. The other components will include some retail and self-storage as well. There has been several articles over the last few months referencing this outcome of the former shopping center.

Old 08-29-2018, 09:19 PM

https://www.al.com/news/birmingham/i...ve_landed.html

Not sure if it is "cool" to be operating here illegally, but it is what it is.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:15 AM

377 posts, read 340,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Word is that former Century Plaza property will become a mixed use office/commercial development with the redevelopment. Included in the redo will be coworking spaces that will house a business incubator for business startups as well. The other components will include some retail and self-storage as well. There has been several articles over the last few months referencing this outcome of the former shopping center.
That would be nice, last I heard a charter school was going there but I haven't heard anything since. I would absolutely love to see more business incubators in the city to continue to foster smart growth and possibly more tech. I hope something good happens with it, that's a lot of frontage on I-20 that not being used.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:38 PM

666 posts, read 516,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
https://www.al.com/news/birmingham/i...ve_landed.html

Not sure if it is "cool" to be operating here illegally, but it is what it is.
Not sure why they'd be illegal. They seem to be legal everywhere else. I think they're a great addition! People in Dallas use them like they're going out of style. There have been a few injuries but that's to be expected. They're a heck of alot better than the 25k bikes we had laying around the city for the past year or two.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfmx1 View Post
Not sure why they'd be illegal. They seem to be legal everywhere else. I think they're a great addition! People in Dallas use them like they're going out of style. There have been a few injuries but that's to be expected. They're a heck of alot better than the 25k bikes we had laying around the city for the past year or two.
They just move into the city and start operating without a business license. No appropriate paperwork, probably not paying taxes the right way, etc. etc.

This is how they operate. They just force themselves in and operate (knowingly) illegal and then when the cities come to negotiate, they will. It's a variation of the "easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" mantra.

Old 09-04-2018, 03:06 PM

450 posts, read 336,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preguntas View Post
With UAB's plans to demolish their admin building to make way for a new EAST PAVILLION, I suspect that Liberty may well be in their sights for a new admin building. A perfect location for them. Room to grow, parking, next to Kirklin and still walkable to all the facilities by the bridge system. They have the need and the money so that says a lot.
First time poster here.

Can you give a little more insight into the East Pavilion plans? I'm pretty plugged in to UAB related items, but I hadn't heard about a major hospital expansion. Building another hospital building the size of North Pavilion plus relocating the Admin Building would be two massive projects for Birmingham. I wonder if they'll face any issues from the CON review board since Jefferson County is already oversubscribed on the number of hospital beds.

On that same block I do know they're getting ready to demolish the UAB Townhouse, but haven't announced a future use for that land. Hopefully Sitar can find a new space.

I've also heard they're planning to build a new parking deck on the surface lot in between the Admin Building and Kirklin Clinic as well as new deck behind the visual arts building on 11th Ave S. An acquaintance in the construction industry mentioned a few months ago UAB was looking into building a "new president's mansion" on the parking lot on University across from the Rec Center, but I wonder if he got that mixed up with a new Admin Building. Either way, that location seems like it would be better suited for something students use.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:22 AM

27 posts, read 27,689 times
Jazzy's and Matthew's bar and grill are under contract from the sign out front, looks like 1st Ave N is getting another Founders Station, wonder who's buying it

Old 09-14-2018, 08:33 AM

2,448 posts, read 2,232,771 times
Sad news from Vesta :/

https://www.al.com/news/birmingham/i...g_from_co.html

Didn't look like any construction was going on when I drove by this morning. I imagine that's standard protocol after an accident like this.

The building appears to be almost topped out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area