Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2017, 08:32 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times

Advertisements

I wonder why even talk about asbestos mitigation if they are just going to level it. The front part has a monolithic block look that I think looks good. The annex or whatever can go. Still would like to see inside one more time. Maybe thay Urbex group will get a chance to make a video.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 08:45 PM

910 posts, read 834,316 times
I just have a gut feeling that they are going to say they tried everything possible to save the building, and that the only path forward is demolition. I think that location will be very attractive to a major office tenant if there is a better building than what's currently there. They have to know something that we don't know to pull the trigger on a purchase that size. I definitely don't think this will be more residential. They either already have some interested company, or they are about to build speculative office space.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:36 AM

That makes sense too. That way they can still look good in a market thay has so far favored saving every old structure rather than razing them. Not that there would be any real pushback or dissension but you never know. If they make what appears to be a legit effort to keep and repurpose the building they can always show that the costs are too high and the lack of the HTC made it an impossible undertaking later and roll right into showing off some plans for a glassy modern, LEED certified tesla/apple approved office building later.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:10 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 280Tony View Post
If that is the fate of the Liberty National Building, I'm not sure how I or we -- knowing how most of us on the board are about development tastes -- would like it. Would we prefer green space over having a building? Would we like a more modern 8-10 story building vs what's already there? Sure the LNB isn't attractive by any stretch, but it does provide good height and density for that block, and with the right facelift, could take on a new light. But if it's knocked down, it's almost certain that a 5-8 floor condo-ish development would go up in its place. The odds that anyone would want to put up another building with similar size as the LNB is virtually nil. So would we want to sacrifice height for modernity? Density for aesthetics?

While height would be sacrificed, density... not so much. Because nobody lives or works in the building... even putting a few townhomes there would increase the density.

It seems most likely to me that the building will ultimately be torn down and replaced with something similar to the other 3 blocks of 20 Midtown. The fact the owner is talking about asbestos treatment is interesting though. It could be mostly lip service as they know the building is likely not salvageable. Or they could legitimately be looking at removing it and saving the building(s).

For what it's worth, I am guessing all options are still on the table. It just depends on the size and scope of what the developer ultimately wants to put there if it makes sense to repair or to start over.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:55 AM

27 posts, read 27,690 times
Liberty National will start to come down probably once Phase 2 of the midtown development starts to go up. The condition of the building isn't great, and although it could be renovated, a complete face lift is somewhat of a pipe dream at this point for the property, that and the asbestos treatment itself is more expensive than what the building sold for. With all the activity on that block, if they didn't tear it down, a substantial amount of value for that area could and would be lost in the long run if they skimmed a much nicer mix-use development. I don't think too many people will miss this one once its gone

Old 01-20-2017, 09:49 AM

2,448 posts, read 2,233,471 times
I have no real attachment to Liberty National. In fact, I think it's kind of an eyesore on the skyline, especially with that ridiculous mechanical penthouse on top. The 20th street façade is its only redeeming architectural quality.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingslammed View Post
Liberty National will start to come down probably once Phase 2 of the midtown development starts to go up. The condition of the building isn't great, and although it could be renovated, a complete face lift is somewhat of a pipe dream at this point for the property, that and the asbestos treatment itself is more expensive than what the building sold for. With all the activity on that block, if they didn't tear it down, a substantial amount of value for that area could and would be lost in the long run if they skimmed a much nicer mix-use development. I don't think too many people will miss this one once its gone

Seems that's always the case with a fixer-upper. I think 3M is not very much money for these guys and they couldn't afford NOT to buy it as it is prime real estate that faces their pride and joy. Even if they just snow us over with pretty power point presentations and fancy renderings over the next five years after they knock it down, it will be a win for them just not having that empty behemoth looming over them. However, I really don't think they would do that. I'll just think "small" in that a 4-5 story office building on the front end of the lot with some green space on the back is probably the MOST it will be, and not some 16+ story office/condo/hotel mixed use tower.

...but maybe...

Old 01-20-2017, 01:42 PM

508 posts, read 616,435 times
Perhaps a 4-8 story office building with a small entertainment area and green space? They could transform the area to a live/work/play type of development.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:40 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,880 times
While there certainly could be an office development there... if the thing gets torn down, there's really no reason to think it will be an office building just because one used to stand there. Just depends on what there is demand for.

Old 01-23-2017, 01:51 PM

27 posts, read 27,690 times
Hotel development is probably at the top of the list I'd imagine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area