Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 11:14 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,982,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawson1237 View Post
In regards to the comment above about how we have to go back to what fragmented us in the first place. Did not the same thing happen to ATL? There's a vast difference in North ATL and South ATL. People migrated to/from based on preference but it does not stifle growth.

It looks like alot of people blame the OTM movement for crippling Birmingham but I see something similar in almost every metro. Every metro is segregated.
Two different issues here:

1 - Should we adopt a regional government?

2 - What must we do to unite?

I was answering the second question. That doesn't mean I am answering 'yes' to question 1, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 02:07 PM

508 posts, read 615,653 times
No, it's just that everyone is so stuck on Atlanta. I lived in Atlanta, yes.....there was backlash, but in the end, all was well. Cobb County still received the stadium.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:58 PM

302 posts, read 335,498 times
Regionalism, whether cooperation a la Denver or full unigov (minus school system consolidation) a la Louisville -- while not a guarantee -- is likely our best shot at sustaining growth and remaining competitive.

Many ways to skin the regionalism cat.

Old 09-06-2017, 03:08 PM

187 posts, read 214,301 times
Yeah I can see that. I don't think it would hurt that's for sure! But I dont think you'd find Brookies all of the sudden moving to Hueytown.

Speaking of regionalism, I think we should combine Auburn and Alabama. Make one superschool. Put it in Chelsea or Gardendale. Maybe it would aleviate some of the collegiate hatred that lives so deeply in many peoples' hearts and it would make Bham explode.

You can just laugh at that.. No need to argue it.. But it would change the city!

Old 09-07-2017, 09:11 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,982,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardamnbham View Post
Regionalism, whether cooperation a la Denver or full unigov (minus school system consolidation) a la Louisville -- while not a guarantee -- is likely our best shot at sustaining growth and remaining competitive.

Many ways to skin the regionalism cat.
We already have the RPCGB.

The bottom line is, leaders have to work together. That means ALL have to give (no taking), not just the suburbs perceived as more affluent. If it's all about spreading the wealth ie robbing Peter to pay Paul, there won't be any cooperation or growth. No government structure will change that.

We have way too many people in this city who are out for Birmingham only. They see the revitalization of Birmingham as 'growth', when all that really is, is people choosing to spend their money in Birmingham vs. the suburbs. Now, personally, I don't care where people spend their money - I love hanging out downtown, but I realize it is a zero sum game for the entire metro area if people are just moving stuff around. And for the area to grow, we have to talk in terms of the metro area, NOT just the city of Birmingham. So see....there is some shadiness and agenda there. We have plenty of developers trying to make profits on downtown areas they lapped up at pennies on the dollar. That's not good for 'growth'....that's good for the land owner.

As a metro area, are we really doing that bad? We added 20,000 people from 2010-2016, 1.72%. Huntville is allegedly one of the fastest growing areas out there at over 7%, but in actual people, they only added about 32,000 in that same time. And I'm sorry, but we really can't compare ourselves to Atlanta, Nashville or Charlotte anymore. It's going to take a MAJOR economic driver, and about 20 years, to catch those areas.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:30 AM

508 posts, read 615,653 times
Exactly, we are Birmingham. It's time for us to stop traveling on paths created by other cities and CREATE our own.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:47 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,766,753 times
And exactly what path do you think Birmingham should take that doesn't involve luring lots of good paying jobs? Because that's the path "created" by so many other "successful" cities.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:15 PM

302 posts, read 335,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
We already have the RPCGB.

The bottom line is, leaders have to work together. That means ALL have to give (no taking), not just the suburbs perceived as more affluent. If it's all about spreading the wealth ie robbing Peter to pay Paul, there won't be any cooperation or growth. No government structure will change that.

We have way too many people in this city who are out for Birmingham only. They see the revitalization of Birmingham as 'growth', when all that really is, is people choosing to spend their money in Birmingham vs. the suburbs. Now, personally, I don't care where people spend their money - I love hanging out downtown, but I realize it is a zero sum game for the entire metro area if people are just moving stuff around. And for the area to grow, we have to talk in terms of the metro area, NOT just the city of Birmingham. So see....there is some shadiness and agenda there. We have plenty of developers trying to make profits on downtown areas they lapped up at pennies on the dollar. That's not good for 'growth'....that's good for the land owner.

As a metro area, are we really doing that bad? We added 20,000 people from 2010-2016, 1.72%. Huntville is allegedly one of the fastest growing areas out there at over 7%, but in actual people, they only added about 32,000 in that same time. And I'm sorry, but we really can't compare ourselves to Atlanta, Nashville or Charlotte anymore. It's going to take a MAJOR economic driver, and about 20 years, to catch those areas.
The RPCGB is beneficial to the area, especially regarding gov cooperation regarding transportation projects. That said, we still need an economic development org and/or partnership that encourages regional growth AND cooperation. Currently, the game Greater Birmingham plays is zero sum (e.g. tax incentives used to lure projects from one burb to the next; a practice that's banned in Denver). If Birmingham (the entire region) doesn't commit to a paradigm shift in regional cooperation/governance, we run the risk of contracting in multiple areas, especially when we consider the upcoming impact of automation and the current high-skills talent gap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area