Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 08:20 AM

187 posts, read 214,301 times

Advertisements

I've never been to Greenville but all I hear about it is awesome. Even my Bham friends say they would choose it over Bham because of its character and fun things to do while also being somewhat cleaner than Bham. I think I'll post a poll on city v city. Bham has more people so I would expect more homers to vote to skew the data but we'll see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 04:23 PM

841 posts, read 824,744 times
I think it really depends on your lifestyle. If I wanted to live a suburban lifestyle and rarely do city stuff, I might choose Huntsville. The mountains are a little higher, and the river is beautiful. It's closer to the bigger mountains and very close to Nashville. If I was moving to Alabama from outside the Southeast, then I would consider Huntsville as well, since it has a more diverse population of people from all over. Birmingham is very Southern for the most part.

If I wanted more of the city experience, then I would choose Birmingham. The downtown area continues to improve, and there are plenty of great restaurants. And the outdoor scenery and opportunities are great as well.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:20 AM

226 posts, read 388,419 times
I lived in Birmingham for 20 years, graduated from Homewood. Both my parents graduated from Hoover (Berry). I know the area well. Moved to Huntsville over a decade ago; cannot believe how much it has grown...but the same goes for Birmingham whenever I return. Having said that, my honest opinion is Huntsville...but please remember I lived in the burbs of Bham, not City of Bham.

For the amount of house I can get up here for the money, no snarling traffic (anywhere) like 280, and great access to hospitals/schools, the value can't be beat. My four different parts of town have all felt safe, and I am not house poor. My school system (Madison City) is very comparable to Homewood and Mountain Brook (See Niche rankings), and my <$300K house would have cost me WELL over half a million in both Homewood and Mountain Brook.

Having said that, Birmingham has better attractions. Light years ahead of Huntsville as far as a downtown scene - but having kids, I could care less about craft beer bars and trendy cafes. Huntsville/Madison will catch up soon.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:15 AM

2,445 posts, read 2,228,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonMike View Post
For the amount of house I can get up here for the money, no snarling traffic (anywhere) like 280, and great access to hospitals/schools, the value can't be beat. My four different parts of town have all felt safe, and I am not house poor. My school system (Madison City) is very comparable to Homewood and Mountain Brook (See Niche rankings), and my <$300K house would have cost me WELL over half a million in both Homewood and Mountain Brook.
I'd say Madison is better compared to Hoover (or maybe Vestavia Hills). Homewood and especially Mountain Brook are pretty unique entities, the likes of which are hard to find around the state. Both are older, inner ring suburbs and feel like it. Prices are definitely going to be higher in these types of cities, especially as they are fairly landlocked.

Madison is a pretty far-flung, newer suburb much like Hoover. Both are by far the second-largest cities in their metro areas and both can keep expanding. I imagine living in Madison "feels" a lot more similar to living in Hoover as well.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:27 PM

226 posts, read 388,419 times
Yes, City of Madison best compares to Hoover IMO - just on a smaller scale. Even Vestavia is a little comparable, given Liberty Park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
I'd say Madison is better compared to Hoover (or maybe Vestavia Hills). Homewood and especially Mountain Brook are pretty unique entities, the likes of which are hard to find around the state. Both are older, inner ring suburbs and feel like it. Prices are definitely going to be higher in these types of cities, especially as they are fairly landlocked.

Madison is a pretty far-flung, newer suburb much like Hoover. Both are by far the second-largest cities in their metro areas and both can keep expanding. I imagine living in Madison "feels" a lot more similar to living in Hoover as well.

Old 09-26-2017, 03:24 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,766,753 times
Funny how the presence of NASA makes a place feel less southern when I believe NASA's 3 biggest employment centers are in Florida, Texas, and Alabama.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:35 PM

4,997 posts, read 9,143,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Funny how the presence of NASA makes a place feel less southern when I believe NASA's 3 biggest employment centers are in Florida, Texas, and Alabama.
Right.

Old 09-29-2017, 04:34 AM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Overall, Huntsville has a higher proportion of highly educated engineers and B'ham a larger arts community. Huntsville has a lot more flat land and less air pollution. B'ham has some great views.
??

Old 09-29-2017, 11:50 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Shakeesha, Huntsville is largely Tennessee River valley, with a few intrusions, like Monte Sano and Green Mountain. Birmingham is the tail of the Appalachians without any major river that has worked over eons to level things. As you drive in from Nashville, note the serious cuts that had to be made to bring in the interstate as you stare Red Mountain in the face. In the Huntsville area, 565 and Memorial are basically flat, requiring fill to have the crossovers.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:47 AM

445 posts, read 770,428 times
I grew up and spent 30+ years in Huntsville, and have been in Birmingham for a year now.

Birmingham is (obviously) bigger and FEELS way bigger...not to put Huntsville down....the main difference is Birmingham is bigger, with all the trappings that come along with that...more people, more (way more) traffic, more restaurants, more stuff to do, just more of everything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area