Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 05:58 AM

1 posts, read 595 times

Advertisements

hi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 07:08 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,987,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Seniors are more represented in Hoover than Southside. Why does it hurt you on such a personal level?
Steveklein you often make great points, especially when some of the city-lovers go off the rails usually about the more left-leaning topics. But I think you are off on this one, there's no need to ignore the trends, i.e. what is actually happening.

When I moved into the Oak Mountain area years ago, most all the people selling their homes were new empty nesters. They were either headed for downtown, or headed farther out so they could buy a new house. So I'd say it's usually split between the city-lovers and the suburbanites. In both cases, people were looking for an 'easier' life, whether that's walkability or less home maintenance.

The whole city/walking trend is just a new thing for the South in general. But more and more are doing it.

Old 05-09-2019, 10:05 AM

270 posts, read 531,568 times
Lost in all of this is what do you mean by "Southside"? Just south of UAB? Pretty young, with a few older long time residents mixed in. Forest Park? Lots of people that are older and it has a median age that is definitely higher than than most areas, although it is pricey. Glen Iris also has a decent share of older folks. Most of the people that were living in condos downtown 5 years ago were over the age of 45. The apartments are a different story, but there is a good mix of young and old.

Old 05-11-2019, 12:26 PM

842 posts, read 826,766 times
I'm encouraged to hear that so many empty-nesters are moving into the city. My wife and I have talked about doing the same thing. We currently live way out on 3.5 acres but are really considering a move back into the city once we retire. But I've been worried about being the oddballs living in town with a bunch of younger people.

Old 05-11-2019, 12:56 PM

446 posts, read 396,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
I'm all about the city life, but can't for the life of me think of anyone in the empty-nester generation who would put an emphasis on being able to "walk to the grocery store".

If we were to take the Birmingham metro area, and survey how people usually get to the grocery store, I am guessing more than 99% use a car or public transportation (the vast majority being a car).

Even if you were to narrow that down to downtown/southside and the neighborhing/partially gentrified neighborhoods, it is probably well over 90% car.

But I am sure someone who touts the rebirth of downtown Birmingham will tell us all they dozens of senior citizens who make and enjoy multiple walking trips to the Piggly Wiggly on Clairmont or the Publix on 20th St weekly
You must not know any seniors but wealthy ones!

Like many of my low-income senior friends, I no longer have a car. My old one died and I can't afford to replace it. Many seniors give up driving because of the expense, because of failing eyesight and hearing, because of traffic, because they get tired of having their cars broken into in apartment parking lots ...

That is why many seniors want to live within walking (or low-cost Uber) distance of grocery stores. There are agencies that will provide transportation to medical appointments, but not many that will provide transportation to grocery stores, libraries, and other necessary things. A bus is convenient for getting TO a grocery store, but not at all convenient when you are coming home with a loaded shopping cart.

And who can afford restaurants anyway? lol

Old 05-11-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
I'm encouraged to hear that so many empty-nesters are moving into the city. My wife and I have talked about doing the same thing. We currently live way out on 3.5 acres but are really considering a move back into the city once we retire. But I've been worried about being the oddballs living in town with a bunch of younger people.
I'd worry more about moving into town near an all-night club patronized by a bunch of younger people!

Old 05-11-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosshawk View Post
Lost in all of this is what do you mean by "Southside"? Just south of UAB? Pretty young, with a few older long time residents mixed in. Forest Park? Lots of people that are older and it has a median age that is definitely higher than than most areas, although it is pricey. Glen Iris also has a decent share of older folks. Most of the people that were living in condos downtown 5 years ago were over the age of 45. The apartments are a different story, but there is a good mix of young and old.
Google it to get a map view of the basic area. One map I looked at shows it as the area west of 280, south of Railroad Park, east of I-65 and 11th Pl S, and north of the summit of Red Mountain.

Old 05-11-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
You've obviously not been to a concert at the Alys Stephens Center. Or an art opening at the museum or a local gallery. Or any number of other cultural events. Empty nesters are quite well-represented.
And totally ignoring all the seniors who are not empty-nesters!

Old 05-11-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
It seems the OP is interested in the Hud subsidized buildings for seniors and probably wouldn't have the money to spend at all the fancy restaurants or ballgames. Their treat of the week would probably be a McDonald's Hamburger. I think they care less about restaurants available and more about the safety of the area and if there are close locations like a food store, pharmacy, doctor's - for our basic needs.

If people are moving from Vestevia Hills and Mountain Brook to downtown - 10-1 - I couldn't afford to live there unless it was HUD housing as the apts and condos would be more than my SS - so many of the points made are moot for those like us that don't have money.
Yes. You get it.

I would love to live in Vestavia or Mountain Brook but there are no low-income senior communities in either municipality. Crestline Village before the Pig closed would have been heaven. Walkable, safe; drugstores that deliver, good library ... great neighborhood. I wish that someone had built a senior HUD-subsidized building in MBV, instead of that luxury hotel, or as well as it. It would be great to be able to walk to the Botanical Gardens as well as to Western (if it is still there).

Old 05-11-2019, 03:53 PM

11,782 posts, read 5,795,007 times
I get it as I had a grandmother in a HUD subsidized senior citizen apt and cousin currently living in one. My parents 401K is nearly depleted and they too will have to look for inexpensive senior housing.

Although we've worked all our lives - and should do OK after DH retires - there will come a point if we live long enough- that we will need senior services. I don't begrudge those who have done well and have been able to retire in comfort - but there are just as many that won't have the resources but still want affordable housing in safe areas with stores and pharmacies that are close by and easy to get to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area