Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2021, 11:07 AM

2,448 posts, read 2,233,471 times

Advertisements

UAB definitely does not fill the stadium, even on opening night. Not sure how it compares to previous crowds at Legion Field, though. Hopefully a decent uptick at the very least.

As for Uptown, based on their website, these appear to be the current tenants:

Eugene's Hot Chicken
Mugshots Grill & Bar
Your Pie
Todd English P.U.B.
Texas De Brazil
The Southern Kitchen & Bar

Not sure how many unoccupied spaces there are. The spot where Cantina Laredo was is the biggest. I gotta think that one will be filled soon enough given the front and center location relative to the stadium. Also the arena opens back up next month which should help as well.

Last edited by TimCity2000; 11-12-2021 at 11:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2021, 11:30 AM

1,017 posts, read 640,193 times
Uptown Cantina took the place of Cantina Laredo, did it not?

Old 11-12-2021, 11:41 AM

ah, i think you're right. thanks. wonder why it's not on the uptown main website?

https://www.uptownbham.com/things-to-do/

Old 11-12-2021, 01:06 PM

666 posts, read 516,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
UAB definitely does not fill the stadium, even on opening night. Not sure how it compares to previous crowds at Legion Field, though. Hopefully a decent uptick at the very least.

As for Uptown, based on their website, these appear to be the current tenants:

Eugene's Hot Chicken
Mugshots Grill & Bar
Your Pie
Todd English P.U.B.
Texas De Brazil
The Southern Kitchen & Bar

Not sure how many unoccupied spaces there are. The spot where Cantina Laredo was is the biggest. I gotta think that one will be filled soon enough given the front and center location relative to the stadium. Also the arena opens back up next month which should help as well.
I think they averaged in the 20-25k per game but not sure.

That's a decent list. Sad to see Cantina Laredo go as I loved that place but haven't tried the new tenant. Surprised Mugshots is still there after it was awful last time I went (food and service). Texas De Brazil is awesome but not really a "eat before the game" kinda place. Todd English, I guess it's cool whatever. Never liked it myself.

Definitely PS and Legacy will drive traffic to the area.

Old 11-12-2021, 01:16 PM

Also, I think the Cantina Laredo closing wasn't specific to Birmingham, as they closed their Huntsville location as well.

Old 11-12-2021, 03:09 PM

87 posts, read 56,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBankhead View Post
Uptown Cantina took the place of Cantina Laredo, did it not?
It did. They have their sign up now as well.

Old 11-12-2021, 03:58 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfmx1 View Post
I'm not aware of anyone who didn't think PS wouldn't serve a purpose other than UAB football. No one said it wouldn't. I think the people you're referring too thought we should go a little bigger and more statement-worthy. But, I know I always thought it was a good idea and the field would certainly attract good things. I also think the nay-sayers you're referring to were just pushing back on the common narrative that PS would elevate the city to an Austin or Nashville height or something.

Concerts will be really cool here!

I haven't been to the area in a while though so can someone speak to this?

Is Uptown doing well as in are there lots of empty spaces where restaurants have left? And how is UAB's football attendance? I'm guessing they don't fill the stadium right?

Actually, there were a lot. Or people who couldn't imagine how the stadium would finance itself with UAB being the only tenant.

Old 11-12-2021, 06:13 PM

10 posts, read 6,300 times
I was at the stadium opening night there were people everywhere in the concourse area congregating so that took away from showing just how many people were actually there. My biggest gripe about Uptown is its not a true entertainment district. I wish the SEC would show up & do a bar down there & I like how Big Whiskey is in Hoover it would fit great down in the Uptown district which doesn't have the true feel of an entertainment area to me that's where they are lacking to me. There should be more bars that stay open on the weekends at least until 2am.

Old 11-12-2021, 06:23 PM

Pretty sure what was originally built as "Uptown" was meant as just a first phase. But it had to prove itself first. And, frankly, things were slow going for a while... there were several closures after Uptown first opened. I hope with the stadium, the arena, CityWalk BHAM, TopGolf and now the Carraway redevelopment all in place or moving ahead, we'll see justification for additional restaurants/bars to pop up in the area and contribute to a more unified "entertainment district."

Old 11-12-2021, 08:43 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,168,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose205 View Post
I was at the stadium opening night there were people everywhere in the concourse area congregating so that took away from showing just how many people were actually there. My biggest gripe about Uptown is its not a true entertainment district. I wish the SEC would show up & do a bar down there & I like how Big Whiskey is in Hoover it would fit great down in the Uptown district which doesn't have the true feel of an entertainment area to me that's where they are lacking to me. There should be more bars that stay open on the weekends at least until 2am.
Everything at Uptown use to close at 2am before Covid pandemic hit. Now with short staffs, a lot of them are closing earlier than normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area