Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 12:48 AM

927 posts, read 883,623 times

Advertisements

I am pursuing a job in the Birmingham area and am wondering if it really is a place I want to live. I'm a liberal who has lived in college towns in the Midwest all my life, so Birmingham would be a WAY different experience for me.

I'm looking for housing and areas in Birmingham, and wondering about the downtown area/nightlife/entertainment/fun. Is there a downtown scene? Is there a main street with lots of bars/clubs? Is downtown Birmingham a safe place to be out at 2AM?

What are your opinions on the neighborhoods around UAB? I'm interested in zip codes 35203, 35233 and 35205. These are the Five Points South and Southside/Central City neighborhoods west of 280.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 05:43 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
There's a lot of places throughout Southside. Four of Esquire's 100 Greatest Bars are all clustered within a few minutes of one another. I would offer that you should look at the areas around Highland Avenue EAST of 280, as well as the 35222 zip codes.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:27 AM

111 posts, read 257,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I would offer that you should look at the areas around Highland Avenue EAST of 280, as well as the 35222 zip codes.
I would agree with this. I've lived on both sides of the Red Mountain Expressway, and the east side definitely boasts better neighborhoods. From 5 Points toward the west gets pretty dumpy in places.

On the other hand, the rents reflect it. You can find some really, really cheap apartments in the 35205 area ($400-500 per month for 1br), whereas the Highland Park area tends to be a little more expensive (but still cheap compared to other cities). Right around 5 Points there are several apartment buildings that look quite nice from the outside and are right near the restaurants, but are dumps when you see the interior. Yet they charge as if they're in Highland Park.

You should come here, fill up your gas tank and drive around for a couple of days to see what's here. That's the best way to really get a feel for the neighborhoods.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3am green coffee View Post
I would agree with this. I've lived on both sides of the Red Mountain Expressway, and the east side definitely boasts better neighborhoods. From 5 Points toward the west gets pretty dumpy in places.

On the other hand, the rents reflect it. You can find some really, really cheap apartments in the 35205 area ($400-500 per month for 1br), whereas the Highland Park area tends to be a little more expensive (but still cheap compared to other cities). Right around 5 Points there are several apartment buildings that look quite nice from the outside and are right near the restaurants, but are dumps when you see the interior. Yet they charge as if they're in Highland Park.

You should come here, fill up your gas tank and drive around for a couple of days to see what's here. That's the best way to really get a feel for the neighborhoods.
I was in the LaSalle, right across from Highlands B&G. I loved living there.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:42 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,825 times
Not much nightlife downtown besides a few bars scattered here and there that generally aren't open every night, but 5 Points has five entire points of fun and Lakeview on 29th St S has a view of approximately 29 lakejoyments. Also you can buy things in Hoover, but only if you bring the appropriate karate skills in order to wrest products from overly clingy vendors. It's a bad economy and they guard their wares with their lives. Please heed these advices.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
Not much nightlife downtown besides a few bars scattered here and there that generally aren't open every night, but 5 Points has five entire points of fun and Lakeview on 29th St S has a view of approximately 29 lakejoyments. Also you can buy things in Hoover, but only if you bring the appropriate karate skills in order to wrest products from overly clingy vendors. It's a bad economy and they guard their wares with their lives. Please heed these advices.
However, I would offer that the downtown area is beginning to show signs of life with a few bars and restaurants having opened to accommodate the 5,000 people who now live downtown. Mind you, I'm not comparing it to Five Points or Lakeview or the rest of Southside, but it's a really encouraging development for the city. If they'd just open a grocery store downtown, I think downtown would become even more popular as a place for younger professionals to live.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:48 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
If they'd just open a grocery store downtown, I think downtown would become even more popular as a place for younger professionals to live.
Did the, uh, Western Market (not sure of the name) on Highlands Avenue close??

Old 12-23-2008, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
No, are you kidding? That place is a little gold mine. But it's really a pain-in-the-ass to reach from downtown, park, and return. I was thinking more along the lines of a good V. Richards kind of place where people can walk to.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:11 PM

111 posts, read 257,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
That's not downtown.

It's also not that great a place to do your regular shopping. Their prices are high, their selection is low and they tend to stock small quantity items and shy away from the mega jug of laundry detergent and the 24 pack of Charmin. It's really just a glorified convenience store.

The most convenient legitimate grocer for downtowners is probably the Piggly Wiggly at the bottom of the Highland golf course. But that's not downtown either.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:02 PM

30 posts, read 56,138 times
the nighlife isn't that great here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area