Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 08:48 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,600,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirl31 View Post
I have two phone interviews next week for Administrative Assistant and one for human resource assistant. I was debating on whether to move to Northport Alabama and commute the 45 minutes to Birmingham or just move to Birmingham. If I do the commute for a year then this would give me an idea of where I want to move to. I am looking for a town that is more laid back and affordable, meaning not a lot of drama and people say Hi to you. I want to be able to sit outside and feel safe and say Hi when people walk by. I am currently from Cleveland, OH. My price range to rent is 500.00 - 600.00
Personally, I find commuting long distances to be very un-laid back. I live in Birmingham city limits and my neighbors are perfectly friendly. We totally stop by and have chats, sit on the porch, and such. You can find a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment within the price range you are looking for. In addition, if you are not commuting the long trip everyday, you are saving a lot of gas money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 01:08 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,762,837 times
I lived in Crestwood for a year and commuted through Avondale to work. I never had any problems, nor did any of my roomates or any of our friends who came to visit us. It is a very quiet community with older affordable homes. The "bad" parts of town in that area are East Lake and Gate City and they are on the "other side" of the tracks (literally) but the shopping district of Eastwood is between them. This is kind of a neutral zone so to speak. Irondale is on the other side, and its fine too. You'll hear about some flare ups from time to time (in and around Eastwood), but using a bit of common sense I don't think you'd have any issues shopping there. There are probably not going to be any Crestline or Mount Brook types shopping there, but seriously - they are too upscale for Walmart (the centerpiece of the shopping center thatis where Eastwood Mall used to be) or any other stores around it. And you aren't going to want to go into Gate City anyway, ever - so don't worry about it.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:13 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,846,192 times
I don't understand the debate about Crestwood/Eastwood. It is a flat-out fact that there is crime there, more so than a lot of other areas of town. Many years ago, it was a nice part of town, and East Lake was considered a very nice place to live; that is NOT the case anymore. Do not go past Lawson Field on Oporto-Madrid Blvd. for any reason if you can help it. Do not go anywhere near Gate City, not that you would want or need to. Eastwood is considered by some to be perfectly safe, when that is not necessarily the case. Several years ago, there was a string of armed robberies over there that caused all the late-night drive throughs to start closing early. If you go to Eastwood past midnight, it is a ghost-town, and a pretty scary one at that. Seriously, why play the risk game? Sure you can live in Crestwood and have no problems; a friend of mine has lived there for 30+ years with only one incident (a burglary in his home, he scared the guy away with a shotgun that he keeps for home protection). But, you are taking somewhat of a risk by living there compared to Homewood, MB, Vestavia, Forest Park, etc. I grew up in Birmingham and still go back all the time, and if you can, you would be better off shooting for Homewood (Edgewood area between 18th Street and Green Springs if you're driving down Oxmoor. Avoid Valley Avenue.

A good friend of mine lives in Irondale right now, on Scenic View if that means anything to some of you. It is a nicer neighborhood than most of Crestwood, but he still locks his doors up tight at night and keeps a home defense weapon because you just never know in that part of town. There's some bad mixed in with the good over there.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:57 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,141,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
I don't understand the debate about Crestwood/Eastwood. It is a flat-out fact that there is crime there, more so than a lot of other areas of town. Many years ago, it was a nice part of town, and East Lake was considered a very nice place to live; that is NOT the case anymore. Do not go past Lawson Field on Oporto-Madrid Blvd. for any reason if you can help it. Do not go anywhere near Gate City, not that you would want or need to. Eastwood is considered by some to be perfectly safe, when that is not necessarily the case. Several years ago, there was a string of armed robberies over there that caused all the late-night drive throughs to start closing early. If you go to Eastwood past midnight, it is a ghost-town, and a pretty scary one at that. Seriously, why play the risk game? Sure you can live in Crestwood and have no problems; a friend of mine has lived there for 30+ years with only one incident (a burglary in his home, he scared the guy away with a shotgun that he keeps for home protection). But, you are taking somewhat of a risk by living there compared to Homewood, MB, Vestavia, Forest Park, etc. I grew up in Birmingham and still go back all the time, and if you can, you would be better off shooting for Homewood (Edgewood area between 18th Street and Green Springs if you're driving down Oxmoor. Avoid Valley Avenue.

A good friend of mine lives in Irondale right now, on Scenic View if that means anything to some of you. It is a nicer neighborhood than most of Crestwood, but he still locks his doors up tight at night and keeps a home defense weapon because you just never know in that part of town. There's some bad mixed in with the good over there.
Well, since you don't actually live here anymore, I'm not sure what you're basing that on. As for my family and me, we lived in Avondale for 14 years and we never had the first issue and never felt remotely unsafe. If you look at a crime map of Birmingham, it's pretty easy to see where the crime is concentrated.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:55 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,600,549 times
Wherever you go, if you look for crime, you will find it.
My mom current lives in what has been rated the safest city in the country at time. Guess what? There are home break-ins on her street and high school kids smoke crack in the park! gasp!
Crestwood is a really nice area. Avondale is in most parts nice as well. Basically, the whole southern part of the city is pretty safe. on the other hand, keeping a loaded shotgun around might be less so in some households.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:46 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,287,435 times
See, I think that when comparing Crestwood to the Scenic View area of Birmingham/Irondale ("Holiday Gardens" that Crestwood wins every time. The "low" part of Holiday Gardens on either side of Elder before you climb the hill is pretty decent. Sort of a cheaper diaper row and also lots of retirees. But on top of the mountain at Scenic View and over the back side you get into a lot of rental property, and that whole area isn't as well kept as it once was. By contrast. Crestwood is mostly owner-occupied by folks who are into the architecture of their homes and into the idea of neighborhood. Yes, Crestwood is closer to Woodlawn, Wahouma, Gate City, etc. than some would like. But it is a solid choice for anyone -- unless you need to put your kids in the public schools.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Several years ago, there was a string of armed robberies over there that caused all the late-night drive throughs to start closing early. If you go to Eastwood past midnight, it is a ghost-town, and a pretty scary one at that. Seriously, why play the risk game?
There's risk involved wherever you live, some more then others, but there have been armed robberies and shootings in Hoover, Homewood and Vestavia Hills too. I don't really see what you are getting at. Most commercial districts are ghost towns after midnight. I'm not trying to argue that Crestwood is as safe as Greystone or Mountain Brook but it just isn't as bad as some people (not singling you out) are saying in this thread.

If for some reason a person living in Crestwood needed to go to Roebuck/Centerpoint, I would say take 20/59. But if it were backed up because of an accident I would not be scared to take Oporto/Madrid past Gate City and through East Lake to get there, day or night. But if they decide they want duck down a few side streets, knock on a few doors and loiter around there after dark for a few hours, they are on there own and asking for trouble.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:48 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,846,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, since you don't actually live here anymore, I'm not sure what you're basing that on. As for my family and me, we lived in Avondale for 14 years and we never had the first issue and never felt remotely unsafe. If you look at a crime map of Birmingham, it's pretty easy to see where the crime is concentrated.
I'm basing it on living in Birmingham for 22 years of my life! Also, I only moved away 6 months ago, so it isn't like I've forgotten what Birmingham is like. I know some people, especially those who have lived in the Crestwood area, who love to tell you that Crestwood is this wonderful, eclectic, safe area that is totally fine to live in. And in some parts of Crestwood that is true. However, you need to be careful of where you put yourself in Crestwood. My friend who lives right off of Crestwood Blvd about 2 miles past Century Plaza has been living there with no problems for 30+ years. However, his neighbor has been robbed three times this year. It really is a giant crapshoot when you're looking at Crestwood/Irondale. Why not be on the safer side and look at Homewood, especially the Edgewood area? It's a great part of town, close to downtown, Green Springs, Mtn. Brook, Brookwood Mall area, etc. I think it's a peace-of-mind issue, and I think Edgewood offers much more peace-of-mind than Crestwood does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy
The "low" part of Holiday Gardens on either side of Elder before you climb the hill is pretty decent.
Huh, I've never heard it referred to as Holiday Gardens. I always call that area "Mountaindale" because that is the name of the main road in that neighborhood. In any case, it is a nice neighborhood for the most part, but it backs right up to Eastwood. Again, I don't think you're really going to have problems in that area, but just be cautious and you'll be fine.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:31 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,287,435 times
I don't think anyone will argue with the recommendation to check out Homewood -- Edgewood in particular. Schools are great, people are clamoring to live there, etc. But that also means it is pricy to live there ($300K for a 3/1 that needs work?) and there is a homogeneity to Homewood that some folks might not want. Edgewood vs. Crestwood is like apples v. oranges. There are great reasons to live in and/or avoid both, but they are not interchangeable.

I think I did misspeak. Holiday Gardens is technically the area on the back side of Scenic View. I was talking about the little area off Elder, and the similar houses directly on Scenic View: the little 3/1 MCM houses that went in when Eastwood Mall went in -- that is actually Crestline Gardens. In my mind, Mountaindale doesn't pick up until you get west of that little development, maybe around Rosewood, and then continues on toward Crestline.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
I don't think anyone will argue with the recommendation to check out Homewood -- Edgewood in particular.
But not Homewood in general, because Valley Ave. or the Oxmoor side of Columbiana isn't very desirable at all. Almost every part of town has some notable negatives. That said, Homewood has some very nice neighborhoods, exclusive - like Hollywood. I also like what they are doing with the "Soho" district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area