Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 12:33 AM

4 posts, read 13,266 times

Advertisements

So, it appears as if my new job is taking me to wonderful Birmingham for a while if not permanently.
I plan to rent an extended stay (Inn Town Suites) for about a month until I find a reasonable apartment.
This is my first real job and I plan to make around $40,000 this year. (After my three month "trial period" raise.)
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for an apartment complex or possibly even a condo to rent. My work will be off of Lakeshore Parkway near 65. I don't mind commuting (I'm accustomed to an hour or more, living in Atlanta.) but would, of course, prefer to live close. I also don't want an apartment like my last that was semi-safe and affordable, but so poorly maintained my power bill skyrocketed during cold snaps and in the summer time. Also, I'm not opposed to living in a complex that is traditionally student-oriented.
I was looking at condos at a place called Skyview located near Elmwood Cemetery. They seem really inexpensive, though. Possibly too good to be true?
Any suggestions are appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 02:45 PM

122 posts, read 587,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syyd Seven View Post
So, it appears as if my new job is taking me to wonderful Birmingham for a while if not permanently.
I plan to rent an extended stay (Inn Town Suites) for about a month until I find a reasonable apartment.
This is my first real job and I plan to make around $40,000 this year. (After my three month "trial period" raise.)
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for an apartment complex or possibly even a condo to rent. My work will be off of Lakeshore Parkway near 65. I don't mind commuting (I'm accustomed to an hour or more, living in Atlanta.) but would, of course, prefer to live close. I also don't want an apartment like my last that was semi-safe and affordable, but so poorly maintained my power bill skyrocketed during cold snaps and in the summer time. Also, I'm not opposed to living in a complex that is traditionally student-oriented.
I was looking at condos at a place called Skyview located near Elmwood Cemetery. They seem really inexpensive, though. Possibly too good to be true?
Any suggestions are appreciated!
It's apparent that you don't know Birmingham very well. Be forewarned. Just because Birmingham is smaller than Atlanta doesn't mean it's any safer. In fact, I'd say the two are comparable in terms of real crime within their inner city limits.

There are many, many dangerous and blighted areas of town. Around that general vicinity you're looking to live in -- Elmwood, Titusville, West End, the seedy parts of Homewood -- nearly everything qualifies as a "bad neighborhood." Especially if you're non-black and have the trappings of things a 40k/year single income earner might have (late model car, a nice suit of clothes, up-to-date electronics devices etc.). No racism, just reality. Seems like every day I pick up the paper I'm reading about a shooting out that way, or a stabbing, or a mugging -- a lot of muggings in those areas, usually around the low-end apartment complexes, of which there are a lot out that way. Contiguous to the perimeters of Elmwood cemetery itself there have been an inordinate amount of grisly homicides and bodies discovered -- a phenomenon I find quite chilling.

I don't know that particular complex, but Skyview is probably inexpensive for a very good reason.

There are some reasonably affordable and decent apartments within commuting distance. Homewood is bifurcated: western parts are crime-ridden, while the eastern parts are not so much. Try the nicer parts. Or points further south such as Vestavia, Hoover, etc. Don't go further west. It just stays the same -- one bad neighborhood after one bad neighborhood -- all the way to Bessemer.

Search through this forum and you should find plenty of good leads. Just make sure you learn where to go and not to go before you find yourself in a bad situation. Just because you're moving to a slower and smaller city doesn't mean it's safer. Indeed, Birmingham ain't no play-play. Certain neighborhoods in Southside are okay, but I'd personally steer clear of anything in Birmingham city limits. A lot of young, naïve people end up dead in ditches here. Ask around.

Last edited by Laocoön; 04-21-2010 at 03:19 PM..

Old 04-21-2010, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,358 times
I'm not sure where you are from, but I feel confident that you will enjoy living in Birmingham. I moved here 3 years ago and have felt very safe - even as a young female. As the previous poster mentioned, there are some areas to be careful in, however I wouldn't say that it is any different or more dangerous than other large cities. And there are certainly many other great things about Birmingham to focus on!
There are some larger complexes on or around Lakeshore. Many of them house college students. Samford University is very close to where you will be working. I also work off lakeshore, but live in an area closer to Mountain Brook and downtown. It only takes me 10 mins to get to work and I can avoid all interstates/highways. It gives me the benefits of Mtn Brook - safety, restaurants, running trails, as well as the benefits of downtown.
I own a condo and have found that it is almost insane not to own when you consider the prices of renting a nice place in the area. You can certainly afford to do this on the salary you mentioned.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:29 PM

I'm originally from Montgomery, which has a one of the highest crime and homicide rates in the entire country, so I know the risks. However, I was asking for the areas to avoid and you answered, so thanks. I've lived in the ghetto before, it's not as bad as it's made out to be, as people are people everywhere you go (IE, just trying to feed their kids and get out of the ghetto.) I don't worry about me; I can take care of myself. I'm worried about my girlfriend and my sister who will probably stay with me her first semester at UAB.
During my time at the extended stay, I will ask around and take a look for myself.
Thanks for your help, and if you have any suggestions as to what neighborhoods would be good to look, I'd appreciate it.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:46 PM

270 posts, read 531,704 times
Southside, Forest Park, Highland Ave.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:37 AM

86 posts, read 244,435 times
People are going to start thinking I work for Riverchase Landing, since I plug them so much, LOL! Anyways, this is where we live - out in Hoover. I also work off of Lakeshore Parkway, near 65. Taking the back roads, I can get to work in about 20 to 25 minutes.

Our apartment is huge, has a fireplace, a sunroom, and is a 2 bedroom for only $649/mo (we got in on a special - they normally run around $800 something, I think). They may still be running specials. We have been here since Jan 15th, and so far, so good. Can't give you a good overall assessment of power bills, since it's been a short time - and not during the severe cold or heat yet. However, maintenance has been great. One new neighbor has moved in that is loud/noisy, though. However, you can't control with apartment living, IMO.

Hope this helps -

Good luck!

Old 04-22-2010, 06:04 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
There are some new apartment complexes in the Greensprings area. Just grab an "apartment finder" at a grocery store or restaurant once you are in BHam and start your search from work. You are used to commuting but why do it when you do not have to?

Old 04-22-2010, 03:31 PM

Thanks, this is a lot of help!

Old 04-23-2010, 03:15 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laocoön View Post
It's apparent that you don't know Birmingham very well. Be forewarned. Just because Birmingham is smaller than Atlanta doesn't mean it's any safer. In fact, I'd say the two are comparable in terms of real crime within their inner city limits.

There are many, many dangerous and blighted areas of town. Around that general vicinity you're looking to live in -- Elmwood, Titusville, West End, the seedy parts of Homewood -- nearly everything qualifies as a "bad neighborhood." Especially if you're non-black and have the trappings of things a 40k/year single income earner might have (late model car, a nice suit of clothes, up-to-date electronics devices etc.). No racism, just reality. Seems like every day I pick up the paper I'm reading about a shooting out that way, or a stabbing, or a mugging -- a lot of muggings in those areas, usually around the low-end apartment complexes, of which there are a lot out that way. Contiguous to the perimeters of Elmwood cemetery itself there have been an inordinate amount of grisly homicides and bodies discovered -- a phenomenon I find quite chilling.

I don't know that particular complex, but Skyview is probably inexpensive for a very good reason.

There are some reasonably affordable and decent apartments within commuting distance. Homewood is bifurcated: western parts are crime-ridden, while the eastern parts are not so much. Try the nicer parts. Or points further south such as Vestavia, Hoover, etc. Don't go further west. It just stays the same -- one bad neighborhood after one bad neighborhood -- all the way to Bessemer.

Search through this forum and you should find plenty of good leads. Just make sure you learn where to go and not to go before you find yourself in a bad situation. Just because you're moving to a slower and smaller city doesn't mean it's safer. Indeed, Birmingham ain't no play-play. Certain neighborhoods in Southside are okay, but I'd personally steer clear of anything in Birmingham city limits. A lot of young, naïve people end up dead in ditches here. Ask around.
Actually, you don't know Birmingham very well. Of course, how could you since you seem to have never really left your cosseted little burb. Actually, with some effective police tactics being used now, the crime numbers have plummeted.

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2010/02/...e_down_10.html

But, then again, you're not really interested in facts.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:06 PM

WHat about the area to the Northeast of Birmingham? I'm looking at at place in the Crestwood area I found on Craigslist. Kind of close to 20. Is this area OK?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area