Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Blogs > ExNooYawk2
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Uncategorized Entries with no category
Old

A Whole New Dilemma

Posted 11-15-2023 at 06:11 PM by ExNooYawk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
I dunno know. The 55+ plus communities seem like a big rip off to me. Those houses are very small, close together, no trees and full of old people. Even tho I am an 'old people' I don't want to solely hang out with them.

IMO, I would rather buy a modest ranch without a huge HOA fee hanging over me every month. Pay for your own lawn care. You could do meet up for book clubs, community center for pickle ball, bingo, senior center for free etc. Why pay that monthly fee for those amenities
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

A Whole New Dilemma

Posted 11-14-2023 at 05:51 PM by ExNooYawk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Move to the 55+ community and continue to care for your husband there and also continue bringing help for him into the home. You both get more social outlets, and then you're already in place for the (foreseeable) rest of your life. You don't plan to remain in your house, but if he dies and you remain healthy, you don't belong in "assisted living." Doesn't seem like a difficult decision to me unless I'm missing something?
The places I looked at do have "cottages"...
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

A Whole New Dilemma

Posted 11-13-2023 at 06:56 PM by ExNooYawk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Julia Child was in one like that in CA…and her last meal request there was French onion soup.
Hope they made it well for her..

Agree with the others: you have to allow yourself to stop feeling guilty.
Have a conversation with your husband and give him a choice - he goes to a nursing home or makes it easier on you to care for him.

How?
- reduce the number of his medical appointments - it is completely unnecessary at this point and extremely
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

A Whole New Dilemma

Posted 11-13-2023 at 05:48 PM by ExNooYawk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Wow, memory care units are not nearly as expensive here in NE Texas as they are in some other states or locations!
My brother's MIL became a widow two-and-a-half years ago. She had to go into care immediately after her husband's death. The facility charges $12k per month and I don't know if there was a buy-in.

They love her and she's not unhappy where she is but whatever money was left is disappearing in leaps and bounds. I wish her (and everyone) a long life but...
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

High Denial Rates By Medicare Advantage Plans Harming Rural Hospitals and Patients

Posted 11-12-2023 at 07:04 PM by ExNooYawk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
I would never disparage anyone who has an Advantage Plan for several reasons:

1. For some people an Advantage plan is what they can afford

2. Choosing a supplement to Medicare is crazy hard to understand. Both I and my spouse have college and master's level education and it was intense trying to understand this stuff. Two of us dove in did months of research, got bamboozled on the first try (most 1st timers wouldn't know that happens) until we finally got it done. (Thanks
Posted in Uncategorized