Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 10:04 AM

747 posts, read 2,758,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
If i were you, I'd skip the SUVs and look for a 5 Series wagon - it drives (and looks) much nicer while still offering a ton of cargo room.

If you want a German car, maybe an A6 Avant - they are great looking cars:
x2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 01:01 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtexplore View Post
??????? Please explain
Explain what?

Old 07-24-2010, 10:15 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,149,832 times
We purchased a Volvo XC90 Sport V8 3 years ago and it's been a great car. I recommend it highly as a family vehicle.

I like the X5 but I've never heard anything good about it. I wouldn't consider an X3, too small.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:32 AM

228 posts, read 796,595 times
This is an interesting post. I'm looking at purchasing a new to me (slightly used) car next year.

I currently drive a Volvo S80, which is a great car.

I didn't take a liking to SUVs when they first started becoming popular years ago because I thought they drove too much like a truck. However, I have really been thinking that I would like something a little more utilitarian, and a lot of the new SUVs drive better.

I have been going back and forth between the BMW X3 and the Volvo XC90.

We had a BMW three series a few years ago. That was a really fun car to drive, but it felt so cramped to me, especially compared to the S80. We ultimately decided it was did not fit our needs and traded it for a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I'm surprised to see so many negative comments about the X3, perhaps this is pushing me more towards the Volvo.

I'm interested in hearing more thoughts on these cars.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:30 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,531,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewatergirl888 View Post
This is an interesting post. I'm looking at purchasing a new to me (slightly used) car next year.

I currently drive a Volvo S80, which is a great car.

I didn't take a liking to SUVs when they first started becoming popular years ago because I thought they drove too much like a truck. However, I have really been thinking that I would like something a little more utilitarian, and a lot of the new SUVs drive better.

I have been going back and forth between the BMW X3 and the Volvo XC90.

We had a BMW three series a few years ago. That was a really fun car to drive, but it felt so cramped to me, especially compared to the S80. We ultimately decided it was did not fit our needs and traded it for a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I'm surprised to see so many negative comments about the X3, perhaps this is pushing me more towards the Volvo.

I'm interested in hearing more thoughts on these cars.
The previous X3 is complete garbage. The older X5 is small too but at least drove nice and the V-8 pulled hard. The new X5 is sensational, one of my favorite SUVs. The new X3 is now about the size of the old X5 and can ONLy be better but still looks like a dinosaur turd.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:15 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,339,906 times
I haven't driven the new X3, but I've driven both the old one and an XC90 and done comparisons (my uncle has both, I was babysitting them when he was on vacation), if that's the models you are looking at, then the XC90 is a much more "complete" car, it rides better, is actually sportier (better in turns), despite the X3's firmer suspension, which frankly, just makes it harsh. BMW Automatics are better than Volvos, but unless you drive "spiritedly" you probably won't notice that as much.

Of the older models, I'd easily go with the XC90, throw a gently used, E70 X5 (second generation), we're looking at a completely different outcome though.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:48 PM

106,621 posts, read 108,773,903 times
I owned both the x3 and a 328xi.... I would go for the x3 again rather than an x5.

The x3 retains more of that 3 series handling and nimbleness.the x5 to me was like steering a bathtub. It was just to big ,to heavy and lost what i think a bmw represents.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:21 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,339,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I owned both the x3 and a 328xi.... I would go for the x3 again rather than an x5.

The x3 retains more of that 3 series handling and nimbleness.the x5 to me was like steering a bathtub. It was just to big ,to heavy and lost what i think a bmw represents.
Having driven both the 3 series and X3, I'd honestly recommend a 3 series wagon.

Same interior room as an X3 (at least previous gen), and far better handling.

Though the XC90 was much heavier, taller and had a much slower transmission (the X3 I drove was a manual), as far as suspension goes, it was actually much sportier, it could maintain higher speeds on twisty roads, despite having a more subtle ride when driving normally.

I didn't find the X3 to have much resemblance to the 3 series at all as far as performance goes, it was just stiff and crude, without providing any improvement in handling. I haven't driven an X5, but out of an XC90 and an X3, I'd say the Volvo handled closer to the 3 series than the X3 did.

Now, I think an important note is that any SUV is going to act and handle like an SUV, though some hide it better than others. If someone wants regular car handling, and that's important, they should probably just buy a regular car.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:34 PM

228 posts, read 796,595 times
Thanks for the input!

Laughing about the "dinosaur turd" comment.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:47 AM

106,621 posts, read 108,773,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Having driven both the 3 series and X3, I'd honestly recommend a 3 series wagon.

Same interior room as an X3 (at least previous gen), and far better handling.

Though the XC90 was much heavier, taller and had a much slower transmission (the X3 I drove was a manual), as far as suspension goes, it was actually much sportier, it could maintain higher speeds on twisty roads, despite having a more subtle ride when driving normally.

I didn't find the X3 to have much resemblance to the 3 series at all as far as performance goes, it was just stiff and crude, without providing any improvement in handling. I haven't driven an X5, but out of an XC90 and an X3, I'd say the Volvo handled closer to the 3 series than the X3 did.

Now, I think an important note is that any SUV is going to act and handle like an SUV, though some hide it better than others. If someone wants regular car handling, and that's important, they should probably just buy a regular car.
even going from the 328 to the 328xi was like driving a different car. the extra 300 lbs of the all wheel drive system really makes it feel like a different car.

the regular 328i was so much quicker and handled even better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI