Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 12:03 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,339,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
even going from the 328 to the 328xi was like driving a different car. the extra 300 lbs of the all wheel drive system really makes it feel like a different car.

the regular 328i was so much quicker and handled even better.
I can imagine.

Obviously, I think people should buy exactly what they want, but I'm not sure if the increased ride height of the X3 would be worth it for me (well I know it wouldn't).

There might be suspension differences between the EDM model I drove and the USDM model, but I just found it way too harsh.

The 3 series is relatively firm, but you're rewarded by excellent handling and at least in my experience driving them, they're never uncomfortable and deal with small humps and bumps in a pleasant manner.

In the X3 I drove you could almost feel it if you went over a pebble, and it translated the bumps horribly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 12:10 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I had some extensive driving experience for thousands of miles with both of these. Wouldn't recommend either one at all. Very disappointed in both of them.

Why:

1. Overpriced for what you get.

2. Extremely harsh wagon train ride.

3. Slow. Both are slugs.

4. The materials BMW uses in both I find very cheap and flimsy.

5. The I Drive system is a nightmare to use, not intuitive at all.

I'd recommend either an Audi or the Infiniti FX.
Being an (old) BMW guy, I hate to agree with this, but, it's 100% true so I have to agree. Although I think the IDrive is worse than roo says.

And I have to add that they are thirsty slugs, plus you can't get a stickshift in either one AFIK. BMW without a stickshift IMHO is about like pizza without beer - the experience is just incomplete.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:23 PM

106,603 posts, read 108,757,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
I can imagine.

Obviously, I think people should buy exactly what they want, but I'm not sure if the increased ride height of the X3 would be worth it for me (well I know it wouldn't).

There might be suspension differences between the EDM model I drove and the USDM model, but I just found it way too harsh.

The 3 series is relatively firm, but you're rewarded by excellent handling and at least in my experience driving them, they're never uncomfortable and deal with small humps and bumps in a pleasant manner.

In the X3 I drove you could almost feel it if you went over a pebble, and it translated the bumps horribly.
i got tired of having no room in the car for stuff so i traded the 2009 328xi for a 2012 jeep sahara. hitting even minor potholes was a horror in the bmw. i can still hear and feel those bangs in my head.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:17 AM

228 posts, read 796,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i got tired of having no room in the car for stuff so i traded the 2009 328xi for a 2012 jeep sahara. hitting even minor potholes was a horror in the bmw. i can still hear and feel those bangs in my head.
That's how I feel, and that's why we traded our 3 series. I feel like BMW is such a fun car to drive, but the 3 series is unpractical for most people. It's almost like a "fun, extra car" only to be used when one or two people want to go out and hit the road for the pure excitement of driving, not as great for everyday driving and running errands, especially if you have a family.

Old 05-05-2019, 01:42 PM

2 posts, read 784 times
Default Bmw x3

Of all the SUV's I've owned, my X3 was the favourite! Perfect size for my needs, solid, sporty, ride, and excellent on the highway. Mine was an 07. I prefer the newer interior design that changed in 2011, but I had no complaints with my 07. It ran great, no major repairs, just regular maintenance and a small oil leak that was a $300 fix. My only dislike was I find them a little thirsty for gas.

Old 05-05-2019, 01:48 PM

2 posts, read 784 times
I agree with the comment about the X5 driving like a bathtub. I found the same thing! The X3 is nimble and surprisingly actually has quite a bit of interior space. I preferred just about everything in the X3 over the X5
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI